follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-13-2010, 11:46 PM   #491
Niche79

Drives: '01 AND '91 Honda Preludes
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I miss the days of badass cars that you dream of as a kid, I used to see the NSX and Supras as cars id love to be able to afford one day. Now when you look at it, there is really nothing to shoot for, well cept the GTR which luckily the gf thinks that is ok to buy in a few years, even if used! haha But seriuosly tell me something that you would actually be able to afford when your a bit older because most people will never be able to afford a 300k ferrari. Honda is dead and so is Toyota, Nissan still makes good cars and Hyundai is even givin it a good chance with thier Genesis which looks good! So lets hope for the 300hp engine in their top of the line car and if they keep a 200hp car for their standard model im still ok with it. Think about it, you can buy a camaro stock pulls 300 and the SS makes 429! Same sort thing with the challenger, they both look good, been in both the SRT8 and the SS and both are cool but cheap american parts uggh. and at 30k for a 200hp car is uggh no thanks lol. Time will tell but im hoping for it!!!
Niche79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:24 AM   #492
Snaps
Supra Owner

Drives: 1995 Toyota Supra UK Spec
^ You could have said the exact same thing 17 years ago when they released the Supra or Skyline GTR. At the time they was EXREMELY overpriced for Japanese cars, although they kept up with (and the supra beat) some Ferrari's, they broke many records, etc. but people still didn't buy them because of the price.

You seem to be very hung up on power.... Weight makes much more of a difference than power, although in most cases it is harder to reduce weight than to increase power. You could have a ~1500kg car 330hp (370Z?) and a ~1200kg, 210hp (FT86?), while the heavier car has .22hp/kg and the lighter car has .175hp/kg, I think the lighter one would probably beat it around a track, just because of the immensely better cornering (as long as the suspension is set up right), less strain on the brakes, and because it's more controllable.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:59 AM   #493
Niche79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaps View Post
^ You could have said the exact same thing 17 years ago when they released the Supra or Skyline GTR. At the time they was EXREMELY overpriced for Japanese cars, although they kept up with (and the supra beat) some Ferrari's, they broke many records, etc. but people still didn't buy them because of the price.

You seem to be very hung up on power.... Weight makes much more of a difference than power, although in most cases it is harder to reduce weight than to increase power. You could have a ~1500kg car 330hp (370Z?) and a ~1200kg, 210hp (FT86?), while the heavier car has .22hp/kg and the lighter car has .175hp/kg, I think the lighter one would probably beat it around a track, just because of the immensely better cornering (as long as the suspension is set up right), less strain on the brakes, and because it's more controllable.

too much hp comming from a guy with a TT supra I enjoy when I get on it, it goes power, and 200hp is old school so as stated, if its gonna come out with that for 30k ill lol it and move on but if they drop a 300hp more motor for 30k then im down for a good run around! The evo and STI both have 300 plus HP for 30 k so its like ehhh yah. AND 4 doors would make it much better as im getting closer to marriage/family time so id get the quicker thumbs up for the gf
Old 10-14-2010, 03:19 AM   #494
Snaps
Supra Owner

^ Haha, fair enough aye, but still. The EVO's and WRX's are quite big, they just aren't in the same class as something like the FT86 or other cars like the S2000.

About the Supra comment, I'm focusing much more on handling than power.... Not to mention on looks too. I don't neccessarily want a small, light, averagely-powered car, but that doesn't mean I don't understand the benefits they bring.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:41 AM   #495
Niche79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaps View Post
^ Haha, fair enough aye, but still. The EVO's and WRX's are quite big, they just aren't in the same class as something like the FT86 or other cars like the S2000.

About the Supra comment, I'm focusing much more on handling than power.... Not to mention on looks too. I don't neccessarily want a small, light, averagely-powered car, but that doesn't mean I don't understand the benefits they bring.
The supras look badass to this day, when I used to see a random one in Jacksonville, FL where I atteneded HS, I was like !!!! And the raw power with twin turbos just blew me away! Ive had my 200hp 01 prelude for over 4 years now, ill never get rid of it cause in my mind its one of Hondas last great achievements before they thought 4 doors were the way to go. Im just glad to see Toyota bringing back something and pray that they make it really worth a flip! They already have a Scion TC so whats the point of having something very close to it that will take away from its own sales!!!??
Old 10-14-2010, 05:22 PM   #496
Snaps
Supra Owner

^ the TC is a LOT heavier (100kg, ~200lbs. Remember, 100kg is almost 10% of the car's weight) than the FT86, they will both be completely different to drive IMO. If Toyota (or Subie) add a turbo and bump the power up to the 250hp range, I can see it being an absolute beast of a car, something that the TC is not.

Edit: Not to mention according to wikipedia the TC only makes 161hp with the current model (180 with the next one due for release soon). This is far from the FT86's predicted power of 200, even without a turbo.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:08 PM   #497
iff2mastamatt
Feeling Iffy?

Drives: it like I stole it
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Hi all,

I've been reading the forums for a few months now, but I've finally registered a username for the forums. Better late than never I suppose. Cheers!
iff2mastamatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 03:45 PM   #498
Niche79

Quote:
Originally Posted by iff2mastamatt View Post
Hi all,

I've been reading the forums for a few months now, but I've finally registered a username for the forums. Better late than never I suppose. Cheers!

/Wave, I used to have a 2000 accord coupe ex v6! Awsome car but when I was 19 buying it sunk me into too much debt with payments so I had to sell it 2 year later Still cool but welcome!
Old 10-17-2010, 09:44 PM   #499
S2KtoFT86
Resident Post Whore

Drives: 2022 WR BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niche79 View Post
The supras look badass to this day, when I used to see a random one in Jacksonville, FL where I atteneded HS, I was like !!!! And the raw power with twin turbos just blew me away! Ive had my 200hp 01 prelude for over 4 years now, ill never get rid of it cause in my mind its one of Hondas last great achievements before they thought 4 doors were the way to go. Im just glad to see Toyota bringing back something and pray that they make it really worth a flip! They already have a Scion TC so whats the point of having something very close to it that will take away from its own sales!!!??
If you think the Prelude was Honda's last great achievement, you've had your head buried in the sand.

S2KtoFT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:39 AM   #500
Niche79

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2KtoFT86 View Post
If you think the Prelude was Honda's last great achievement, you've had your head buried in the sand.
so im supposed to think that the honda element or the ridgeline is just flat out amazing? Pff Honda has lost its touch with reality! They make cars for old people. I came up in the 90s and that was the cars to have, now they are for old people *crosstour* and for tree huggin hippies who wana have a prius but want that prius to have a Honda symbol on it and all the electric motors to boot! Sorry my friend, Honda has made some good cars in the past but todays Honda is not the same, neither is Toyota, both are living on thier successes of the past. Hence I hope that Toyota really goes hard on this new car or else it will be another faded dream of the guys from my generation who wants to bring back the days of the Supras and Celicas!
Old 10-21-2010, 08:21 PM   #501
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niche79 View Post
so im supposed to think that the honda element or the ridgeline is just flat out amazing? Pff Honda has lost its touch with reality! They make cars for old people. I came up in the 90s and that was the cars to have, now they are for old people *crosstour* and for tree huggin hippies who wana have a prius but want that prius to have a Honda symbol on it and all the electric motors to boot! Sorry my friend, Honda has made some good cars in the past but todays Honda is not the same, neither is Toyota, both are living on thier successes of the past. Hence I hope that Toyota really goes hard on this new car or else it will be another faded dream of the guys from my generation who wants to bring back the days of the Supras and Celicas!
cough... (S2000)cough...

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:09 AM   #502
Dark
Elite Padawan

Drives: '15 WRX, 15 GLA250, and 2 feet
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
cough... (S2000)cough...
They still make good cars, but they are not looking good. Reliability of Honda is on par with Toyota's if not better.
Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 02:00 AM   #503
pronky

Drives: fdh
Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii im a newbie ..............im glad to being with us......
pronky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 02:10 AM   #504
Dark
Elite Padawan

Drives: '15 WRX, 15 GLA250, and 2 feet
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Welcome to the club, pronky.
Dark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
6mt, bot. report?, frs, notreally, turbo