follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 10-01-2013, 10:28 PM   #15
FT-86 SpeedFactory

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,253 Posts
Mentioned: 341 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Toe arms are not needed. We're also running both our shop cars without toe arms on zero toe ( technically we like a little though ) and -3 camber.

I'd be leery of a place selling you something just to sell you something...
FT-86 SpeedFactory is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FT-86 SpeedFactory For This Useful Post:
Anthony (10-02-2013), Dezoris (10-01-2013), melon (10-02-2013)
Old 10-01-2013, 11:19 PM   #16
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
The factory toe eccentric bushings have almost a degree of toe adjustment built in. 0.85 degrees. Thats a massive range. When I did my corner balance and alignment we tested the range. I am dropped 10mm in rear with - 1.5 camber. NO toe arms needed.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:24 PM   #17
boredom.is.me
Custom User Title

Drives: Asphalt FR-S MT
Thanked 1,182 Times in 697 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Figo View Post
i might do it myself now cuz the labor fee is too much。 changed lowerin springs on my old car by myself before。 now just kinda too busy these days
It took two of us less than 3 hours to change the springs. That's while messing around and doing a bunch of other stuff. They can easily be done within 2 hours.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:40 PM   #18
Figo

Drives: Vortech Supercharged FR-S
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredom.is.me View Post
It took two of us less than 3 hours to change the springs. That's while messing around and doing a bunch of other stuff. They can easily be done within 2 hours.
I spent a whole day to change lowering springs on my old car cuz all bolts were rust ans I didnt hav air compressor. WD40 and a super long wrench were wat i used.

( White Tiger ) - FiGo's 車誌.
Figo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:49 PM   #19
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Quote:
thanks.
so drop does not affect toe, only camber does right? if i hav LCA to correct the natural negative camber that earned by drop.
Any drop or change to ride height effects static toe. So typically you set ride heights first allow settle time. Adjust camber first then toe, the repeat if needed.

In the rear your toe will change but typically wont change more than +/-. 15 degrees worst case. But since you are doing LCAs its going to be more out of wack than standard drop.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:04 AM   #20
FT-86 SpeedFactory

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,253 Posts
Mentioned: 341 Post(s)
Quote:
i think maybe they wanna sell toe arms to me? they told me they hav whiteline toe arms available and it might be dangerous if toe arm is not used

kinda made me confused cuz iv never heard than a toe arm is a must, and i only plan to go -1.5 rear.

lol.
Don't need toe arms. Give us a call we'll set ya straight.
FT-86 SpeedFactory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:58 AM   #21
boredom.is.me
Custom User Title

Drives: Asphalt FR-S MT
Thanked 1,182 Times in 697 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I spent a whole day to change lowering springs on my old car cuz all bolts were rust ans I didnt hav air compressor. WD40 and a super long wrench were wat i used.
You don't need any power tools, air compressors, or spring compressors. You only need a few wrenches and an Allen key set. These are also brand new cars so you shouldn't have to worry about rust or corrosion.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:01 PM   #22
mwjcyber

Drives: 13' Subaru BRZ Limited SWP 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by empower-auto View Post
Running similar camber to your goals I was unable to zero out my toe. I actually was stuck with improper thrust angle. Toe out on one side, toe in on the other ...

Moral: buy toe arms
Dropped two inches on FA500' s, with SPC LCA' s. I wanted to stay pretty much within factory specs, front 0°/0.05° camber/toe , rear -1.5°/0.10° camber/toe. With a digital level I was able to set my camber almost perfectly in my garage, 0° front / -1.5° rear, but notice massive amounts of positive rear toe. So I maxed out both rear toe arms negative adjustment to pull the front of the tires in.

Went in for an alignment today and the right rear couldn't pull in enough toe due to LCA camber affect on toe. Shop is best in Albuquerque, and they put me on their best Hunter in ground rack. I was in the bay as the tech had to bring my camber out to -2.4° just to get toe to 0.24° per side. Recommended max rear toe is 0.20°

If you lower two or more inches and want to stay within factory specs, you'll need rear toe arms if you do LCA's. As you lower, you gain negative camber and positive toe in the rear. As you add positive camber with rear LCA' s, you gain positive toe. Upper control arms and bushings, like whiteline, don't affect toe, so even though I've said bad things about them in the past, unless your willing to also buy rear toe arms, you might consider UCA bushings.
mwjcyber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:06 AM   #23
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Garage
Toe will be affected by drop and final camber settings, they're not independent.

If you run adjustable upper control arms instead of lower control arms toe won't be affected by adjusting camber. They're not as easy to adjust, but will cause less headaches.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:55 AM   #24
TylerLieberman

Drives: '20 Hakone 86
Thanked 3,334 Times in 1,572 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
I'm dropped over 2" on Stance Super Sport Coilovers and Stance LCAs.

The lowest I could get my camber was -1.8 with 0 toe. I want to run -1.5 at most but that would cause toe out seeing how my stock links are already maxed.

I'm getting SPL toe links to solve the issue. If you plan on running more camber, stock toe links should be fine.

With these cars, as you increase camber, you get toe IN on the rear. You just pull the toe out. As you go lower, camber increases which means toe in increases. So, if you aren't trying to go super low and vastly alter your camber, your stock toe links should work fine. If you're making BIG alterations to height and camber, you'll want links/bushings for toe adjustment.

I dropped over 2" in ride height and before alignment, was running close to -3 camber in the rear. I'm cutting that in half so I need some extra adjustment.
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:51 AM   #25
raul
Lap time enthusiast

Drives: Asphalt '13 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by empower-auto View Post
Running similar camber to your goals I was unable to zero out my toe. I actually was stuck with improper thrust angle. Toe out on one side, toe in on the other ...

Moral: buy toe arms
Depends on your experience when your car is at the alignment rack I guess. I am lowered around 1.4", camber is -2 in the rear, and was able to achieve 0 toe.
raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:00 PM   #26
mwjcyber

Drives: 13' Subaru BRZ Limited SWP 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
Depends on your experience when your car is at the alignment rack I guess. I am lowered around 1.4", camber is -2 in the rear, and was able to achieve 0 toe.
Every car is slightly different with the fit of it's components. My car with 2" drop needed at least -2.8deg rear camber to get 0 rear toe; that's factory toe adjustment maxed out. Drop your car to 2" and you'll likely need more than -2deg rear camber to get 0deg toe with factory toe arms.

I'm posting this because until this thread, all other threads I read said no need for Toe Arms if only dropping 2" or less, which is incorrect if you don't want lots of rear camber like myself and LCA's are used to reduce it. Anything over -1.5 rear camber is more than I want. Factory spec rear camber is -1.2.
mwjcyber is offline   Reply With Quote