follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-18-2012, 09:10 AM   #71
DR1FT

Drives: MBC300
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by avp1 View Post
With $2K after tax forget about new car. I make three times of that and still was thinking if I should get this car or drive my old one for one more year. As for education, enroll in your state university. This will likely be cheapest option. Good engineering degree will get you most earning potential. Choose something that requires official certification, like civil or electrical engineering. Oil and gas exploration is a reasonable choice. Art school is only good if you now someone, who will give you a job when you graduate. From what you write here is does not sound to be a case. Leave art for hobby, which you will be able to afford having good income from professional job.
6k a month is alot I think. I know it's personal but where the heck do u spend you $$$?
DR1FT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:15 AM   #72
DR1FT

Quote:
Originally Posted by imravenit View Post
imo.. finish school first support your mom as much as you can now.. As you know they will not be around much any longer than you will be.. just realisticly speaking.. id give you an example in my case.. i wanted a nice car so bad when i was 18 had two jobs and making about the same as you although im only 24 so that was only 6 years ago.. i bought me a 1986 corolla it might not be the best choice as a dependable car but it got me through a 4 year xray program and now im making 8k+ a month .. sucked it up for 6yrs driving an old bucket which i still enjoyed at the track drifting once in awhile.. just my two cents.. Quit one of your job.. Make some time for school.. While Supporing your family... finish school.. Then get a job and work hard and enjoy life
96k annually, are we being serious here? What the heck do you Xray.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:20 AM   #73
Hix

Drives: 2017 WRB PP
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Good rule of thumb is get a car that is a maximum of half your yearly income and a house that is a maximum of double your yearly income. Or if you like not worrying about money get a car you could pay off in two months and a house that is less than your yearly. The peace of mind of being stable is a huge point towards waiting on getting the car.

All that being said you are only young once... Why wait to have fun when you are old and can't?

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR1FT View Post
That is not a huge amount for an xray tech really. I bet he works shit for hours though and lives in a less than desirable area. My gf's brother is a CRNA and makes just over 200k because he was willing to work in shit-ass El Paso and parts of New Mexico. That same job in Houston would bring maybe 80-100k
Hix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hix For This Useful Post:
MVJ1975 (10-18-2012)
Old 10-18-2012, 09:30 AM   #74
gily25

Drives: Silica BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
First and foremost...don't give a sh!t what other people have. Even if you had this car you would start looking at how to get something bigger, faster, more luxurious, etc. It's the findamentals of greed...it's why people work.

Def. look at the military - you should consider sitting with a recruiter and learning more about the graphics teams they have. Ah college...you're late to class you park anywhere...students with the old civics won't stick around if they bump your car. Should it snow on the day you have your exam the stress of getting there will ruin your concentration.

Not to diss your mom...but she needs to buy her own car...adults need to be self-sufficient...supprt her now it'll be a life-long issue *2 cents*

If you're not interested in a Miata I found alot of Audi TTs used when I was trying to find alternatives to buying this car. Some good prices, especially if you're going to mod it.
gily25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:31 AM   #75
MVJ1975
Automatic Hooligan

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hix View Post
Good rule of thumb is get a car that is a maximum of half your yearly income and a house that is a maximum of double your yearly income. Or if you like not worrying about money get a car you could pay off in two months and a house that is less than your yearly. The peace of mind of being stable is a huge point towards waiting on getting the car.

All that being said you are only young once... Why wait to have fun when you are old and can't?
Thank you for saying this. If it's not a financial burden (and OP isn't there yet, but a lot of us are) then spend the money and have fun now. The FR-S is hardly an extravagant purchase to someone with a stable career. My ex has (in)famously referred to it as "the cheapest midlife crisis I've ever seen".

Lots of people work their fingers to the bone and drive boring penalty box cars because society says they should. Screw that. I'm not waiting until I'm old to enjoy life. I can still save for my retirement AND own a fun-to-drive car.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:38 AM   #76
JERZgrl88
Eyy girl's like cars too!

Drives: tC & 89 5.0
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I graduated in college in 2010 and am paying off most of loans before I ever buy a new car. It seems impossible but I am staying committed and doing what is necessary. I feel good doing this though I am skipping out on extra "fun" spending. Once you get your real job after college is when you should shop around. That's when you'll have money to play around with. In my case I am paying off debt. Yours? Whatever you want! Just my opinion but I know at the end of the day, this is the responsible and smart thing to do
JERZgrl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:42 AM   #77
DR1FT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hix View Post

EDIT:

That is not a huge amount for an xray tech really. I bet he works shit for hours though and lives in a less than desirable area. My gf's brother is a CRNA and makes just over 200k because he was willing to work in shit-ass El Paso and parts of New Mexico. That same job in Houston would bring maybe 80-100k
I hope you are in the medical field 96k is really alot unless he owns his own out patient xray place or his working 16-20 hour days. And your talking about a nurse anesthetist which is totally different they are like doctors and keep in mind that they also pay malpractice insurance.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:55 AM   #78
kmbkk
First 86 Driver Baby!

Drives: FR-S, Flex
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Here are a few data points for annual earnings to help you:

NCES Digest of Education Statistics, 2010
-Bachelor's Degree: $56,570
-High School Graduate: $32,270

NCES Digest of Education Statistics, 2011
-Bachelor's Degree: $57,130
-High School Graduate: $32,500

These can be broken down further, and can be reserached on the website (http://nces.ed.gov/programs/digest/2011menu_tables.asp)

Having said that, it's not always about making the most money.
Personally, I'm a proponent of joining the military to help pay for your college. Not only do you get the GI Bill, but you can get all your tuition paid fo while on active duty, keeping your GI Bill for later. In addition, you may qualify for Pell Grants, which are loans you don't have to pay back. You can apply for them even if you're not in the military, though. I have a son in culinary school right now, using my GI Bill, and another 4 years behind him, so I'm keenly aware of the pros and cons of secondary and post-secondary education.

Disclaimer: I'm active duty Air Force with 19+ years of service. I entered with an associate's, completed a bachelor's and master's while in the military (didn't have to come out of pocket for either).

As for me, a bachelor's degree DID make a huge difference in my potential earnings. I went from a SSgt to a 2d Lt (doubled my pay initially), and you can Google military members pay charts to see the differences.
kmbkk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kmbkk For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (10-24-2012)
Old 10-18-2012, 10:43 AM   #79
tawheed

Drives: '13 Sport Tech
Here's the deal, cars are a terrible investment. I would spend the money to go to school first and then worry about buying something new. For much less money you can get a used reliable car, will it be flashy? Probably not, but trust me, it doesn't really matter.

I've had over 40 vehicles, from Hondas to BMWs to Porsches. Guess what? No matter what car I had it didn't really have an effect on my happiness.
tawheed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:21 PM   #80
Snozzberries

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntotheOcean View Post
(This is my first post so please don't rip me a new one, if this was talked about please point me in the right direction)

This is A question for those of you who don't have 27k easily laying around.

My question to you: At any point in time did you feel bad-even guilty about getting this car?

I only ask because I'm 22, work two jobs and been saving for this for a few months now. I make after taxes around 2k a month, I feel like I should be saving this for college or I should get my mom a new car-both of our cars are on their last leg...(err wheel) so to say. Mine breaks down a lot, my friends have wealthy families so they just got done graduating from 4yr college and have nice new cars...and well just for once I wanted to get myself something at this magnitude...but now I'm feeling guilty. Why are they entitled to these kinds of things and I cant?
Would it be the right thing to do to get my mom her car first? Should I feel guilty? I really want this...The first time I saw this car in person my heart stopped and I just knew...
Always save your money over spending it! You could go out and buy one now and be making payments for the next three years, or you could do really well in college get scholarships and have 3 times the money you have now to put towards a car. Just saying if you can't wait do it and enjoy it, but if you are already questioning it, then wait till you are comfortable.
Snozzberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:30 PM   #81
jmaryt
Banned

Drives: 2012 honda civic ex
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR1FT View Post
"bank vaults!"
what else? ehe! he! he!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntotheOcean View Post
Everyone on here is making a lot of good points to consider.
Come Feb I'll have 18k whether I spend it or not is still up in the air. I'm going to look into possible careers and schools in the meantime. Hopefully I'll figure something out. My friends who graduated-I forgot to mention, can't find jobs for shit. I feel bad, but I know when they do they'll be alright. I won't think about what they have any more-for the most part I got over a lot of those envious feelings. If anything I'll always be jealous of them having a kind father but w.e I'm missing the point.
My point: I feel nervous as shit going into a field where I might not find a job easily. It's hard when nothing interests me (aside from sculpting) maybe I could find a trade school? I dunno, I have Google, I'll figure something out. Thanks again guys! *Internet hugs*
seriousely! do yourself a favor,and forget the frs/brz!..you can always get one later in life when you are established in your life's work! don't get sucked in now! be strong,and do the right thing for your career! remember! a car is a car and after a while,it will start to become routine for you,and your debt will STILL be there! as the french so eloquently say!..it's an "event phsycological!"..you are smart, don't get "fuc*ed"over financially for a car!..take care of your education first!
jmaryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:38 PM   #82
jmaryt
Banned

Drives: 2012 honda civic ex
Quote:
Originally Posted by tawheed View Post
Here's the deal, cars are a terrible investment. I would spend the money to go to school first and then worry about buying something new. For much less money you can get a used reliable car, will it be flashy? Probably not, but trust me, it doesn't really matter.

I've had over 40 vehicles, from Hondas to BMWs to Porsches. Guess what? No matter what car I had it didn't really have an effect on my happiness.
i believe this as i too,have had many over a lifetime!,and got rid of them all!
if they was so satisfying,then why did i get rid of them? not to mention the money "lost" trust me,its just a temporary thing! if you look at a car as transportation only,it is easier to put in the correct context!..just sayin' save your money,and put your money to work establishing your education,and career!
jmaryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:57 PM   #83
bakerr6

Drives: 2013 raven black fr-s
i was in a similar situation when in college. I cam from a family of 5, single mom, working 2 jobs. I was in school doing 18-23 hours per qtr. and working 40-50 hours a week (I had no social life). I bought a brand new mustang, modded it out etc., graduated and bought this.

If I could do it all over again, I wouldn't change a thing.I am now married, wifeand I have no mortgage, just 2 car payments and student loans (homes are cheap, especially in the midwest).

NY is a lot more expensive than other areas. I would say take your time and see what will make you happy. School and family should ultimately ome before any material object.
bakerr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bakerr6 For This Useful Post:
WolfsFang (10-18-2012)
Old 10-18-2012, 01:19 PM   #84
FR-Shadow

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Ok I'll comment since I am close to your age. I am 23 and just graduated 10 months ago. I was hired before I even graduated so I already have almost two years experience. I've had 4 car loans already and the frs will be my 5th. I've never been upside down on a loan on when I bought the newer car. I also never put money down. I finance the maximum term to get the lowest payment because honestly I probably won't have the car that long (6 year loan). My credit score is over 700 and i make a tad more than you a month after taxes but only a couple hundred. I've never been late on a single bill in my life and I've lived on my own since 18. I also have college student loans. Now the college aspect i feel everyone should do asap. Work during college its not that bad. I've worked 40 hrs and went to school full time taking up to 18 credits a semester the last three years of college. My freshman year I worked part time at AutoZone. Yeah its a bitch but worth it in the end I think. Take the loan out and as long as you are in school you don't have to pay it. Plus you get a 6 month grace period after graduation. Once you graduate get a better paying job and start paying off those loans. I majored in finance if anyone was wondering. And honestly the moral of the story is. Does your income outweigh your expenses. Also take into consideration your free cash flow. Will you have enough to do what you want to do. If all those aspects are aligned pull the trigger. Maybe while your at it help your mom arrange her finances therefore you don't feel as guilty.
FR-Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote