follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 01-09-2013, 05:52 PM   #85
ultra
Curious cat.

Drives: 86 GT base M/T - Red
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Spending $20k on a $25k car to take down prepped Porsche GT3s,Z06 Vettes and exotics in a humble JDM badged car on trackdays and timed events might seem stupid to some folks but it can also be very satisfying...trust me (Evo in my sig).

Of course I'm still here eating ramen 4 years later.

I'm pretty sure that those heating issues can be solved wih a good radiator, oil coller and heat management. Once that's been taken care of the real advantage of the ZN6 platform is the balance and simplicity.

Evos and GTRs are inherently big, heavy, tire and brake killing pigs at the track even if you do get a reliable powertrain setup.

Haing said all that, a turboed Miata would probably be cheaper and just as quick as modding a ZN6 but hey, props to these guys from VCMC for going about their build in a very straightforward way and getting good results.
2007 Mitsubishi Evo 9 RS (sold)
2006 VW Golf R32 (sold)
ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ultra For This Useful Post:
SnapOv3st3r (01-09-2013)
Old 01-09-2013, 07:26 PM   #86
Synack
Boosted

Drives: Sideways
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmookher View Post
if that is at the wheel you win
if thats crank, sure we need to go hit up a track !
Mine's at the wheel, I believe the video said theirs was 320 at the wheel.

But they've got more of a weight reduction but I've got better grip. I'd probably win a drag race. Prob not a road race.
I don't have quite the suspension yet.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:08 PM   #87
SnapOv3st3r

Drives: 400whp Scion tC
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synack View Post
Mine's at the wheel, I believe the video said theirs was 320 at the wheel.

But they've got more of a weight reduction but I've got better grip. I'd probably win a drag race. Prob not a road race.
I don't have quite the suspension yet.
To bad you are in Houston. I'd race you
SnapOv3st3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:14 PM   #88
xbladex0

Drives: no cars :(
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapOv3st3r View Post
Were you being sarcastic?
No sarcasm was used my friend. i just think CAI's sounds pretty cool in my opinion.
xbladex0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:36 PM   #89
xbladex0

Quote:

Injen intake on a turbo car....now THAT I would like to see and actually laugh at. Where do you put the charge pipe if the intake is there?
Why? what is wrong with that? obviously you haven't seen one and i can show you a picture if you want. Many people also say you don't need a charge pipe.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:31 PM   #90
SnapOv3st3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbladex0 View Post
Why? what is wrong with that? obviously you haven't seen one and i can show you a picture if you want. Many people also say you don't need a charge pipe.
What's wrong with that? lol...because Injen makes CAI for N/A cars, not turbos bro. Don't need a Charge pipe? Do you know what a Charge Pipe is? Which piece of the turbo setup do you think is the Charge pipe?

Quote:
No sarcasm was used my friend. i just think CAI's sounds pretty cool in my opinion.
You understand that Injen doesn't make CAI for turbos right. And if you some how ghetto rigged one onto a turbo, it would not sound like an intake on a N/A car. Which is what Injen does make.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:32 AM   #91
choi0706

Drives: t
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
cel/sl
choi0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:08 AM   #92
Khánh

Drives: sc00ter
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Injen intake on a turbo car....now THAT I would like to see and actually laugh at. Where do you put the charge pipe if the intake is there?
Quote:
What's wrong with that? lol...because Injen makes CAI for N/A cars, not turbos bro. Don't need a Charge pipe? Do you know what a Charge Pipe is? Which piece of the turbo setup do you think is the Charge pipe?

You understand that Injen doesn't make CAI for turbos right. And if you some how ghetto rigged one onto a turbo, it would not sound like an intake on a N/A car. Which is what Injen does make.

did you really say Injen don't make intake for turbo cars? because the way you said it "injen makes CAI for N/A cars, not turbo". made it sound that way, in that case, please don't laugh at him...
Khánh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:11 AM   #93
Synack
Boosted

Quote:
To bad you are in Houston. I'd race you
I'll be at the Tail of The Dragon with all of the Z's for Z Days. I think that's in April or May. You should come to that. North Carolina.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:10 AM   #94
SnapOv3st3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khánh View Post
did you really say Injen don't make intake for turbo cars? because the way you said it "injen makes CAI for N/A cars, not turbo". made it sound that way, in that case, please don't laugh at him...

Perhaps I should clarify and say they don't make intakes for N/A cars that are now turboed via Aftermarket. I thought about that after I posted, that they make them for "factory" boosted cars, but it was bed time and I didn't feel like editing my post.

Quote:
I'll be at the Tail of The Dragon with all of the Z's for Z Days. I think that's in April or May. You should come to that. North Carolina.

If it's ready by then. That would be fun. Don't they run a track during Z day also? I think with Forged Performance or the other Z shop in Atlanta (forget name).
Old 01-10-2013, 10:43 AM   #95
xbladex0

Quote:

The only upgrade on the Juke is the intake and in some forums say you don't need a charge pipe for it is an OEM turbo. Plus i dont really know what a charge pipe is for... something about keeping boost and not blowing up your turbo,engine? I'm telling you there is an INJEN CAI for the juke here is a link: http://www.nissanraceshop.com/produc...FQJx4AodRAEAXQ.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:05 AM   #96
SnapOv3st3r

Quote:
The only upgrade on the Juke is the intake and in some forums say you don't need a charge pipe for it is an OEM turbo. Plus i dont really know what a charge pipe is for... something about keeping boost and not blowing up your turbo,engine? I'm telling you there is an INJEN CAI for the juke here is a link: http://www.nissanraceshop.com/produc...FQJx4AodRAEAXQ.
This isn't a factory turboed car though. It's an N/A car with an aftermarket turbo setup on it. Not the same thing. And the pipe connecting to the Throttle body is commonly referred to as the Charge pipe. So yes you need the charge pipe. Intakes connect to the throttle body for N/A cars of course. Injen does not make intakes for turbo setups on cars that didn't come turbo.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:17 AM   #97
Synack
Boosted

Quote:

If it's ready by then. That would be fun. Don't they run a track during Z day also? I think with Forged Performance or the other Z shop in Atlanta (forget name).
Are you thinking of Lethal Performance? They dropped my buddies SR20 in his 240 for him.

I'm not sure about the track but I wouldn't be surprised. When I went to Nismo Fiesta out here in San Antonio in April they have a AutoX/drift setup. AND a mobile dyno. I wore out a brand new set of rear 295s on my Nismo 370 that day between the Twisted Sisters and the drift AutoX.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:33 AM   #98
SnapOv3st3r

Quote:
Are you thinking of Lethal Performance? They dropped my buddies SR20 in his 240 for him.

I'm not sure about the track but I wouldn't be surprised. When I went to Nismo Fiesta out here in San Antonio in April they have a AutoX/drift setup. AND a mobile dyno. I wore out a brand new set of rear 295s on my Nismo 370 that day between the Twisted Sisters and the drift AutoX.

No, god no. Lethal is a place to stay away from, if it's not already shut down. Unless Lethal Performance is also Lethal Injection? If that's whom you are referring to, yea....would not go there. Owner was arrested for running drugs out the shop. But no, I looked it up, it's Z1 Motorsports. They are in GA also and do a lot with the Z platform. I know seeing them in mags, I believe they would have a track day as well. I doubt my rig will be ready by then though, but one year I will catch that event.