follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 10-09-2019, 06:19 PM   #141
JBezugs
Good Job Subaru!

Drives: Green '17 BRZ Sport-Tech MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inazuma in NS View Post
thx much appreciated. I'm of the next two days I might try and call them and see if they remember the scenario
Hey hey, so to follow up: For your car, order the 2015 harness here, which is for the backup camera and SWC (which has a 3.5mm plug you can plug straight into the unit): https://www.autoharnesshouse.com/11445.html

Select the box that notes your backup camera is displayed on your OEM head unit.

Make sure you also order the Pioneer direct wire harness and the AM/FM adapter.

USB adapter is optional; I didn't end up using mine (I have my USB routed through the glove box and underneath the center trans tunnel instead, coming out where the cupholders are (it's cleaner this way).
Old 10-10-2019, 02:36 PM   #142
jredders

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited with PP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBezugs View Post
USB adapter is optional; I didn't end up using mine (I have my USB routed through the glove box and underneath the center trans tunnel instead, coming out where the cupholders are (it's cleaner this way).
In the cupholders area did you replace the 12V socket with a USB one, add a USB socket, just have the USB cable hanging out, or something else? Do you use Android Auto and if so, does it work reliably with that long a cable? Any tips on routing the cable?
jredders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 03:18 PM   #143
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jredders View Post
In the cupholders area did you replace the 12V socket with a USB one..
I prefer this option when available. I did this both in my wife's '05 Mustang when we upgraded the headunit in it, and in our Suburban where i replaced the left 12v socket in the front with a dual plug USB port. The right one (which remains hot when the car is off) I left as is.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:06 AM   #144
Inazuma in NS

Drives: 2017 BRZ Inazuma
Quote:
Hey hey, so to follow up: For your car, order the 2015 harness here, which is for the backup camera and SWC (which has a 3.5mm plug you can plug straight into the unit): https://www.autoharnesshouse.com/11445.html

Select the box that notes your backup camera is displayed on your OEM head unit.

Make sure you also order the Pioneer direct wire harness and the AM/FM adapter.

Thx bud, just ordered mine. Can't wait to hear the quality difference between the HU on the OEM+ sound system. Very excited. Appreciate the help!
Inazuma in NS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 04:44 AM   #145
KeshaFlansburg

Drives: BMW
Yes, features of Pioneer AVH-ZL5150 are great but when I checked the price at Amazon de then I found that price is also high. That's why I am willing to go with Pioneer AVH-2300NEX with reasonable price. I was just reading the reviews of some low-cost head units from here ( https://99carstereo.com/best-car-head-units/ ). and found that Pioneer AVH-2300NEX could be a good option with both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. As I prefer the use of DVD and CD so it also allows both.

On the other hand, I also love the compact and sleek design of Sony's XAVAX5000. I hope in upcoming years, their prices will go down due to technological advancement in the auto industry.
KeshaFlansburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 07:38 PM   #146
Inazuma in NS

Everything installed....the back up camera works but the image changed....seems wider and aspect seems shifted. I'm still trying to get the SWC working, the option is greyed out in the settings but read in one of the posts above to reset so I'll try that first tomorrow.
Old 10-28-2019, 10:31 PM   #147
Inazuma in NS

So I used the Pioneer stock SWC jack that came with the unit (it had 3 wires coming out of it) I managed to get 4 of the SWC buttons to work however cannot seem to get the other 3 up and running.

Out of the 28 pin harness I used the 3 white wires and a red wire from the 8 pin (i think). That being said I dont see any other free wires from any of the other connectors and every wiring diagram I can find only shows 3 SWC wires + a ground....how do I make 8 buttons from 3 wires?

Forgive my stupidity...

And the sound difference is wow. Not to mention the better mic for calls.
Old 10-29-2019, 05:29 PM   #148
Inazuma in NS

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeshaFlansburg View Post
Yes, features of Pioneer AVH-ZL5150 are great but when I checked the price at Amazon de then I found that price is also high. That's why I am willing to go with Pioneer AVH-2300NEX with reasonable price. I was just reading the reviews of some low-cost head units from here ( https://99carstereo.com/best-car-head-units/ ). and found that Pioneer AVH-2300NEX could be a good option with both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. As I prefer the use of DVD and CD so it also allows both.

On the other hand, I also love the compact and sleek design of Sony's XAVAX5000. I hope in upcoming years, their prices will go down due to technological advancement in the auto industry.

I looked at those as well...however the 5150 is a perfect fit 200mm head unit. It looks stock and doesn't require modification to your dash depending on the model year.
Old 10-29-2019, 05:36 PM   #149
JBezugs
Good Job Subaru!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inazuma in NS View Post
So I used the Pioneer stock SWC jack that came with the unit (it had 3 wires coming out of it) I managed to get 4 of the SWC buttons to work however cannot seem to get the other 3 up and running.

Out of the 28 pin harness I used the 3 white wires and a red wire from the 8 pin (i think). That being said I dont see any other free wires from any of the other connectors and every wiring diagram I can find only shows 3 SWC wires + a ground....how do I make 8 buttons from 3 wires?

Forgive my stupidity...

And the sound difference is wow. Not to mention the better mic for calls.

It should be 3 wires only for all the steering wheel controls. If you were able to map 4 of the controls you should be able to map all of them. What controls were you not able to map?

Also, see below:

Quote:
AHH provides that small 8 pin harness for PNP operation with a Maestro SW (which you won’t need with your pioneer harness).

Wire up your pioneer harness like so, based on that 8 pin harness:
Pin 21 - SW1 on the Pioneer harness
Pin 22 - SW2 on the Pioneer harness
Pin 23 - SW Ground on the Pioneer harness

Refer to my crappy photo for more reference, which you can cross reference against the plug so you can figure out the pinouts:
Old 10-30-2019, 11:35 AM   #150
Inazuma in NS

I picked from the Pioneer interface the volume up and down as well as the left and right for tuning. I wasn't able to hook up the phone controls, mode and the round button in the center.

I don't have a module that may be the problem...I thought in your previous post all I needed was the input wire that came with the Pioneer unit. So i cut off the AHH 8 pin connector which had 3 white wires, and a red and black. I used the 3 white and the red but when I try and use the black in any combination I blow fuses....
Old 10-31-2019, 01:41 AM   #151
TaylorFRS

Drives: Hot Lava FR-S
My stock headunit is dying and I want this headunit due to the 200mm and being kind to LHD.

I was wondering if anyone knows or can confirm that i can screen mirror, or some was to use the torque app with this head unit.
TaylorFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 01:42 AM   #152
greencounty

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
The AHH 28 pin harness has 3 white wires and a black wire in pins 21-24. The white wire in pin 24 isn't used on our cars. You want to use the black wire (which might be grounded) and the white wires in pins 21-22 as your steering wheel control wires.
1969 Mustang Fastback 4MT - Royal Maroon
greencounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 07:24 PM   #153
JBezugs
Good Job Subaru!

Pioneer AVH-ZL5150 - New LHD 200mm Head Unit w/ CarPlay and Android Auto!

Quote:
Originally Posted by naor223 View Post
I want to order this headunit but i dont understand what harrness i need to buy.
I have a 2017 brz with factory wheel buttons, factory rear camera.
What parts should i order except the headunit itself?

What factory head unit does your car have? That would determine the harness you need.
Old 01-19-2020, 03:19 PM   #154
Inazuma in NS

Anyone had luck with photos via USB and adding a custom background?

***nevermind found it. Needed a subfolder and it worked

Last edited by Inazuma in NS; 01-19-2020 at 07:12 PM. Reason: found answer