follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 08-13-2019, 11:48 PM   #1093
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtoBRZ View Post
I am skeptical about how useful an oil analysis would be in predicting failure post recall. The cause of post recall failures seems to be excess sealant getting sucked up into oil passages and/or blocking the oil pickup tube. Sealant that is stuck on the pickup, in passages or in the oil filter is unlikely to make it into the small drained oil sample that is sent in for a UOA. Oil passages that suddenly clog when a chunk of sealant ends up in the wrong place would cause a rather sudden engine failure due to oil starvation... you wouldn't likely see a slow progression of excess metals in the sample that you could do anything about before engine failure occurs. There are reports online (for other engines/vehicles not related to the twins) in which people sent in oil samples from engines that had ALREADY FAILED and the report came back indicating that the engine seems to be healthy.
So if the intent is to see if excess sealant was used in the repair and might soon cause engine failure, I believe that a visual inspection of the oil pickup and any passages that you might be able to see would be more useful. This method of course would be more laborious than sending in the used oil sample.
I agree. I reckon by the time any signs of excess engine wear show up in the oil analysis - it's already too late -

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (08-14-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 12:04 AM   #1094
Nilsd2

Drives: Toyota Gt86 Top Auto (White)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mswbrz View Post
I had a similar experience with my Brz overheating after the recall and needing head gaskets blown, been weary of car since I got her back ಠ_ಠ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah thats the thing, considering they have pretty much accepted responsibility for what went wrong, i want to make sure every single piece of the engine is OK, with evidence, before taking it and accepting it back.

They are being really suspicious, keep me in the dark, just order the pieces and change parts without even asking me. After two weeks i forced them for some info and they just said they changed the head gasket and are waiting for some other parts which will take another 2 weeks.

What kind of service is that!! I think i will demand a full inspection, maybe by a 3rd party too, and want access to my car prior to finish, while the engine is still not assembled.

They have tried twice now to push the car back to me saying 100% everything is ok before taking it back and changing more parts, like the head gasket.

Im super suspicious now.....
Nilsd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nilsd2 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (08-14-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 09:31 AM   #1095
Alfrz91

Drives: 13 Scion Frs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilsd2 View Post
Yeah thats the thing, considering they have pretty much accepted responsibility for what went wrong, i want to make sure every single piece of the engine is OK, with evidence, before taking it and accepting it back.

They are being really suspicious, keep me in the dark, just order the pieces and change parts without even asking me. After two weeks i forced them for some info and they just said they changed the head gasket and are waiting for some other parts which will take another 2 weeks.

What kind of service is that!! I think i will demand a full inspection, maybe by a 3rd party too, and want access to my car prior to finish, while the engine is still not assembled.

They have tried twice now to push the car back to me saying 100% everything is ok before taking it back and changing more parts, like the head gasket.

Im super suspicious now.....
The Third party inspection might be a good idea if you're able to. Not sure how you've been traversing the language barrier but there must be some sort of app to help with that. It sounds like they're doing everything they think they can do, which is cool, but definitely smart to have someone else inspect it(though thats likely out of your pocket probably?)
Alfrz91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:34 AM   #1096
Alfrz91

The dealer paid a tow company to pick up my car and bring it in, it's finally in as of this morning(delay was on the tow's end, not the dealer).
The service adviser I spoke to today was really great and wanted to put me in a loaner right away,for what it's worth my original adviser during the recall was awesome too, the biggest the only real issue is pretty much just getting a callback from someone.
Hopefully there's no pushback from them because I really just want my car back as soon as I can get it.
Old 08-14-2019, 01:24 PM   #1097
marco1ca

Drives: Toyota Celica
Quote:
Originally Posted by msaikhan View Post
to get to the pick up tube, you drop the oil pan. if the engine is out of the car, it should take them like 5 min to drop the oil pan. And i would definitely recommend being there to take pictures when they take the tube out.
And if the engine is NOT out of the car? What would something like that cost to have examined for us non-mechanics?

It seems the precautionary measures to protect ones engine post-recall is slowly changing from oil inspections to pickup tubes. Have yet to do either. So for, only 600 miles post recall and it seems run faster! I think Subaru may have thrown in a supercharger.
marco1ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 01:44 PM   #1098
Alfrz91

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco1ca View Post
And if the engine is NOT out of the car? What would something like that cost to have examined for us non-mechanics?

It seems the precautionary measures to protect ones engine post-recall is slowly changing from oil inspections to pickup tubes. Have yet to do either. So for, only 600 miles post recall and it seems run faster! I think Subaru may have thrown in a supercharger.
Can't help you on the cost of that, however I'd feel better with it being done by Subaru rather than Toyota for one.
And for 2, If I were you I would probably change out my oil(and possibly keep it?) to just even prevent this from happening. I wish I had changed my oil after the second day. I literally only had it back for 8 days before it went(Friday the 2nd at night, to Saturday the 10th at night).

Maybe keep the oil just to be safe, especially if something comes out of it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alfrz91 For This Useful Post:
marco1ca (08-14-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 01:52 PM   #1099
msaikhan

Drives: frs
Quote:

i never taken it off but i heard some people hammering and bending it to get it out. So, i believe its not just unbolts and drop. Maybe just check your oil filter, see if you find a lot of sealant.
msaikhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 02:07 PM   #1100
YamahaR86
JDM Vaping Stance Nation

Drives: 2013 White
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by msaikhan View Post
i never taken it off but i heard some people hammering and bending it to get it out. So, i believe its not just unbolts and drop. Maybe just check your oil filter, see if you find a lot of sealant.

It's because the oil pan uses a strong sealant instead of a gasket.
msaikhan (08-14-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 02:58 PM   #1101
humfrz

Has anyone tried removing the drain plug, draining the oil, then using a borescope to inspect the pickup screen?

humfrz
Old 08-14-2019, 03:16 PM   #1102
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Has anyone tried removing the drain plug, draining the oil, then using a borescope to inspect the pickup screen?

humfrz

This is a great idea, I'd do that if I had a borescope. I may get one for the next oil change, now I have a reason to get one!

I changed my oil right after the recall and just changed it again after 2,200 miles just for fun/extra preventive care to get any bits of anything out of the car. I think doing that would be a good idea for anyone getting that recall done.
DandoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 03:27 PM   #1103
maslin
Benz Tech

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post

humfrz
It's not going to be easy to get in there with anything, especially a flexible tube with a camera on the end. You would have to go in the hole on the side of the pan, over that hump, through a small gap, and up the actual tube.

You need a 1/16" robot with a camera

maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to maslin For This Useful Post:
humfrz (08-14-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 03:30 PM   #1104
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandoX View Post
This is a great idea, I'd do that if I had a borescope. I may get one for the next oil change, now I have a reason to get one!

I changed my oil right after the recall and just changed it again after 2,200 miles just for fun/extra preventive care to get any bits of anything out of the car. I think doing that would be a good idea for anyone getting that recall done.
Yep, for $10-15., a lighted one would be worth a try.

Maybe mate it up with a suction tube to pull off any debris -

humfrz
Old 08-14-2019, 03:42 PM   #1105
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by maslin View Post
It's not going to be easy to get in there with anything, especially a flexible tube with a camera on the end. You would have to go in the hole on the side of the pan, over that hump, through a small gap, and up the actual tube.

You need a 1/16" robot with a camera

Good point.

How about a little positive brainstorming here, some medical doctors do something like that all the time, with many more twists and turns.

Side note: After you reach the age of 75, they don't do that no more. I reckon they figure you will die of old age before the cancer gets you -

humfrz - past age 75 -
Attached Images

Old 08-14-2019, 06:37 PM   #1106
NCtoBRZ

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

I think the takeaway here is that it is likely a waste of time with a false sense of security to do an oil analysis or to drop the pan and check for excess sealant. Even if you find excess metals or silicone in the analysis or if dropping the pan reveals excess sealant... the dealership isn’t going to do anything about it unless the engine fails. Just drive the car and try your best not to stress over it. The work should be warrantied for a year, so just drive the car and if the engine blows... take it up with the dealership and hope for the best. The alternative is to get rid of the car if it is causing you stress worrying about it. It appears that many people are dumping their 13s in the for sale section of the forum...
NCtoBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NCtoBRZ For This Useful Post:
humfrz (08-14-2019)

Tags
brz, failure, frs, i cant even, j02, recall, so much glue