follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 08-30-2016, 06:09 PM   #29
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I'll have to see it in person, but I don't like the look of the new leather they used on the door panels.

The leather on the current models is textured and matches the rest of the interior plastic. The smooth leather looks cheap and out of place. I feel the same way about material used on the steering wheel. The original is perforated and looks purpose built.

It almost seems like a lot of these changes were made for the sake of being new instead of adding functionality or practicality (Like that piano black dash trim)
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 06:14 PM   #30
PollosHermanos

Drives: 2014 SWP BRZ Limited 6SP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
It almost seems like a lot of these changes were made for the sake of being new instead of adding functionality or practicality (Like that piano black dash trim)
Bingo. My impression when I first touched it. Appearance of luxury but out of place in the context of the vehicle.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
1990 Laser RS - Lights go up, lights go down ||1992 MX-6 Coupe - Hah ... no || 2001 Integra GSR - Almost rice. Risotto || 2003 IS300 - A nice car but no fun. || 2011 Stage I GTI - Lots of fun. Would buy another

2014 BRZ - That BRZ. So hot right now.
PollosHermanos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PollosHermanos For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (08-30-2016)
Old 08-30-2016, 06:29 PM   #31
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

Drives: '17 BRZ CWP LMT.
Thanked 1,725 Times in 790 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
I'll have to see it in person, but I don't like the look of the new leather they used on the door panels.

The leather on the current models is textured and matches the rest of the interior plastic. The smooth leather looks cheap and out of place. I feel the same way about material used on the steering wheel. The original is perforated and looks purpose built.

And this is where my Argument for where the 86 Interior is better. The interior that's in the 2017 86, is the same interior you get for the top 86 Model in Japan and or Europe. They purposely gave the better material even in the mono spec "grand Lux" material. I don't know that it would justify the 800-900$ difference though, but I do think the Interior in the BRZ espicially the premium isn't that nice. At least the Limited you get the nice seats, that makes it a bit better.

This New BRZ is at best, a WRX interior imho. That piano Black is straight from the WRX,Crosstek etc.

in terms of Interior user experience, and how they did things, the twin lag behind the others. This is speaking from the view if you were a mass consumer and not an enthusiast. Honestly if they gave us to option to choose the none button steering wheel in the lower models, we probably wouldn't be having these issues with it.

"The BRZ Section's fine wine" -Zgrinch
Zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zaku For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (08-30-2016), krayzie (08-31-2016)
Old 08-30-2016, 06:50 PM   #32
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaku View Post
in terms of Interior user experience, and how they did things, the twin lag behind the others. This is speaking from the view if you were a mass consumer and not an enthusiast. Honestly if they gave us to option to choose the none button steering wheel in the lower models, we probably wouldn't be having these issues with it.

Exactly, at this point we're just splitting hairs. The interior has always been a low priority for these cars. All of these pieces are relatively easy to change. Anyone buying a new BRZ will have plenty of OEM parts to pick from if it bugs them that much.
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to funwheeldrive For This Useful Post:
Zaku (08-30-2016)
Old 08-30-2016, 11:42 PM   #33
tv4184

Drives: FD / IS300 / V8 4Runner
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I stopped by after work this morning and got some more pictures from the West Houston dealership.

I didn't know the key got updated back in 2015. I almost was gonna have a lexus keyfob ready to mod. Never mind now.

All the halogens are really LED now. So all nice non-yellow lighting.

Here's with the blinkers on.

Multi function gauge modes - most of them. The last mode was menu where you can adjust the tach limit and welcome screen.

Other interior shots

The new intake manifold looks good too. Except it has some mounting points that look like something should be mounted there but wasn't.

I also thought the BRZ on the projector was a nice touch. I know toyota has the GT86 logo on theirs.

They only had limiteds in now. I guess maybe someone bought the premium that was there this past weekend.

Current: 2018 Tesla Model 3 // 2007 4Runner V8 // 2004 IS300 5MT // 1994 RX7 5MT
SOLD: 1999 4Runner 5MT // 2018 FK8 CTR // 2007 TSX // 2007 RS4 // 1993 Accord 5MT // 2004 S2000
tv4184 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tv4184 For This Useful Post:
BWilky (09-01-2016)
Old 08-30-2016, 11:58 PM   #34
Sport-Tech

Drives: TBD
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Going by the hi-res images in the Canadian 2017 BRZ official brochure, we get none of the piano black trim here (and the HU itself is matte black) - looks much better without it. Plus the red lettering and backlighting for the HU knob and buttons nicely matches the red used for the HVAC etc. It still looks aftermarket, but at least well-matched aftermarket.
Sport-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 02:45 PM   #35
goldenfri

Drives: 2017 BRZ Limited PP
Send a message via AIM to goldenfri
Quote:
Originally Posted by tv4184 View Post
The new intake manifold looks good too. Except it has some mounting points that look like something should be mounted there but wasn't.
These are obviously to mount the top mount intercooler for the turbo STI version they are going to announce as soon as a buy a 2017 BRZ.
goldenfri is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to goldenfri For This Useful Post:
DatsunDimer (08-31-2016), DougNuts (09-01-2016), funwheeldrive (08-31-2016), gramicci101 (08-31-2016), prj3ctm4yh3m (08-31-2016), sato (09-05-2016), URACK (09-02-2016), Zaku (08-31-2016)
Old 08-31-2016, 03:54 PM   #36
xrs

Drives: 02 Mitsubishi Mirage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PollosHermanos View Post

and also ... I couldn't overlook the blank wheel buttons on this trim. Pretty brutal since they are so hard to overlook. My guess is that they didn't want it not to be symmetrical so maybe this was the lesser of two evils:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv4184 View Post

Multi function gauge modes - most of them. The last mode was menu where you can adjust the tach limit and welcome screen.

SMH, I really don't know why they chose to make that right set of buttons the LCD control. It could've easily have been just controlled with a cluster control stem like other cars. It's not like that LCD has THAT much functionality that it requires the four arrows. Then they could've just dedicated those right buttons for cruise and gotten rid of the early 90s cruise control stalk on the side. IMHO, they really went the cheap route on this. That gauge LCD screen is nothing but a small 5" rectangular screen with the bezel covering it. Looks like someone took apart a cluster, cut a section of the overlay for a cell phone screen, then put it back together. Then they found left over steering wheel controls and jury rigged it all together. It's frustrating because only a few simple decisions would've made the final product much more complete.
xrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 03:57 PM   #37
Oxyg3n

Drives: 2017 BRZ - WRB
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrs View Post
SMH, I really don't know why they chose to make that right set of buttons the LCD control. It could've easily have been just controlled with a cluster control stem like other cars. It's not like that LCD has THAT much functionality that it requires the four arrows. Then they could've just dedicated those right buttons for cruise and gotten rid of the early 90s cruise control stalk on the side. IMHO, they really went the cheap route on this. That gauge LCD screen is nothing but a small 5" rectangular screen with the bezel covering it. Looks like someone took apart a cluster, cut a section of the overlay for a cell phone screen, then put it back together. Then they found left over steering wheel controls and jury rigged it all together.
Has been mentioned a million times but until you see it irl :p

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Oxyg3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 04:02 PM   #38
xrs

Drives: 02 Mitsubishi Mirage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxyg3n View Post
Has been mentioned a million times but until you see it irl :p

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Don't need to, won't change my opinion. Looks pep boys nasty :p. Be funny if they change it next year haha.
xrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 04:19 PM   #39
Doubletap

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport-Tech View Post
Going by the hi-res images in the Canadian 2017 BRZ official brochure, we get none of the piano black trim here (and the HU itself is matte black) - looks much better without it. Plus the red lettering and backlighting for the HU knob and buttons nicely matches the red used for the HVAC etc. It still looks aftermarket, but at least well-matched aftermarket.
You might still get the piano black finish. The only interior pic shown in the brochure was with the leather and alcantara finish which comes in the sport tech trim.
Doubletap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:14 PM   #40
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
I think the smooth leather would have worked better if it were another color like baseball glove brown for example.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 11:34 PM   #41
Sport-Tech

Drives: TBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletap View Post
You might still get the piano black finish. The only interior pic shown in the brochure was with the leather and alcantara finish which comes in the sport tech trim.
The piano black trim comes with the new 6.2" HU - both trims in Canada only get the 6.1" matte black HU so there is next to no chance of getting that piano black here.
Sport-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 08:16 AM   #42
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayau View Post
The plastic covers are ugly. Why bother with steering wheel buttons to begin with?
because using that awful touchscreen during any driving is taking your own life into your hands. It is just flat out horrible to use. If I could upgrade my wheel and hu to the new one I would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrs View Post
SMH, I really don't know why they chose to make that right set of buttons the LCD control. It could've easily have been just controlled with a cluster control stem like other cars. It's not like that LCD has THAT much functionality that it requires the four arrows. Then they could've just dedicated those right buttons for cruise and gotten rid of the early 90s cruise control stalk on the side. IMHO, they really went the cheap route on this. That gauge LCD screen is nothing but a small 5" rectangular screen with the bezel covering it. Looks like someone took apart a cluster, cut a section of the overlay for a cell phone screen, then put it back together. Then they found left over steering wheel controls and jury rigged it all together. It's frustrating because only a few simple decisions would've made the final product much more complete.
because it is easier and similar to what is done on other cars. Why change the cruise control? I mean seriously it is what Toyota uses on every single one of their cars, and other manufacturers use nearly identical cruise controls as well. Being different just to be different is stupid.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to why? For This Useful Post:
Zaku (09-01-2016)