follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

View Poll Results: If I were to repaint/vinyl wrap this car, what color should I go with??
Stay with Lightning Red! 42 45.16%
Silver 0 0%
Gunmetal 26 27.96%
Black 5 5.38%
White 6 6.45%
Other 14 15.05%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List
CounterSpace Garage, Evasive Motorsports, robispec

Old 10-09-2013, 07:23 PM   #127
TemeCal

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
You need to update your sig picture! It was fun running with you last weekend. Had a great time.
TemeCal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TemeCal For This Useful Post:
ImperiousRex (10-10-2013)
Old 10-11-2013, 03:22 PM   #128
Evasive Motorsports

Drives: 2012 FR-S and BR-Z
Thanked 1,892 Times in 638 Posts
Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Evasive Motorsports
@ImperiousRex Car is looking sick on the track Ted!

Evasive Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Evasive Motorsports For This Useful Post:
ImperiousRex (10-11-2013), TemeCal (10-11-2013), Toyota GT 86 (08-24-2014)
Old 10-11-2013, 05:19 PM   #129
ImperiousRex
Track Junkie

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 S2000
Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Haha thanks Randy I've still got to do my big turbo install write up and add a bunch of new photos. Hopefully this weekend after I get back from watching Formula D at Irwindale! >.<
ImperiousRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:23 PM   #130
Evasive Motorsports

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperiousRex View Post
Haha thanks Randy I've still got to do my big turbo install write up and add a bunch of new photos. Hopefully this weekend after I get back from watching Formula D at Irwindale! >.<
Ill see you there.

-Randy
Old 10-12-2013, 05:05 PM   #131
ImperiousRex
Track Junkie

Stage II Evolution...

Ok, so here we go. Thanks to @Evasive Motorsports for posting pics and dynos of the car right after the install! I was swamped with getting my car prepped for a mini marathon of track events after the install so I didn't get a chance to do all the updating myself until now. And I want to give you guys as in-depth look at the process as I can.

A little background on my build up to this point... I've been planning on going forced induction since I first saw the car and all of the modding I've done so far has been done with this in mind. The only parts to be jettisoned for this next stage of the build are the Greddy Momentum Air Intake (the Greddy Turbo kit comes with its own intake pipe/filter) and the Perrin Lightweight Pulley (due to the lightweight flywheel).

As for why I decided to go turbocharger vs. supercharger, the answer is fairly simple. Here in SoCal there are multiple guys/shops that have already gone the supercharger route (Robispec, Innovate, Vortech, Jackson Racing, Kraftwerks to name a few) and were testing on track and I wanted to see how a turbocharger would hold up for track duty in direct competition on the same days. I picked Greddy for both its reputation and quality and my overall goal is to develop the turbo build for reliability so that I can beat on the car for 15+ track days a year. So with the install I planned to have 3 track days within a week of the install and really shakedown the car and see if everything I had planned in my head would hold up in real world testing. (But more on that in a bit...)

Turbo Kit and Supporting Components:
In addition to the Greddy T518Z Turbo Tuner Kit, I decided to upgrade the fuel system as well as parts of the transmission as well. I also upgraded the aero for the car to help put as much of this new power to the ground as possible. So here's the list of parts that went on during this install:

Greddy T518Z Turbo Tuner Kit
Greddy FV Blow-Off Valve (with recirculation)
ACT Lightweight Street Clutch Kit
Deatschwerks 65C Fuel Pump
Deatschwerks 700cc Fuel Injectors
Drive Shaft Shop Carbon Driveshaft
Cusco Engine Mounts
Perrin Transmission Mounts
Aerocatch Hood Pins
Seibon OEM Carbon Fiber Trunk
Voltex Type 2 1600mm Wing
9k Hypercoil Springs (F)

In addition to the parts installs above, I also got the header and downpipes titanium ceramic coated and wrapped with Thermo-Tec wrapping. Coating done by Specialized Coating in Huntington Beach and the wrapping done by Evasive.

Installation Pictures and Notes:
I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this before in my thread but I am not mechanically inclined. I have a general idea of how certain parts work together but if you guys want specifics I would ping @Evasive Motorsports

Now enough talking - onto the pictures!

Titanium Ceramic Coated Header and Downpipes:

The last look of my car with an NA setup @ Evasive:

Installation Day(s):

And now for the actual turbo...

For anyone running the Robispec V2 Radiator/Oil Cooler, the mounting bracket for the intercooler underneath will need to be bent slightly to fit.

The final look into the engine bay:

Wing install:

Post installation notes:
The engine was tuned with EcuTek on Evasive's dyno for both 91 octane and 100 octane fuel.

100 Octane = 271whp / 203 wtq @9.5psi

91 Octane = 252whp / 192 wtq @10psi

We had some issues getting the idle to settle without stalling due to the injectors and lighter flywheel but a bump in RPMs for the idle have fixed this for the most part. I feel this may be something that will need to be fine tuned over the coming year.

Track Shakedown:
So as I mentioned, I had 3 track days planned after the turbo install. The first being literally the day after the install at Chuckwalla Valley Raceway.

While the car ran well, the shakedown did reveal a few small issues. The first being, the front pipe did not have as much clearance as we were hoping. Evasive figured 10mm clearance was enough but under load the engine was still pushing the pipe far enough to vibrate against the frame. And secondly the idle was not quite in the place it needed to be as the car was stalling on clutch in when coasting off track (high speed shifts were fine). So thankfully Dennis @Evasive found me some time to help shore up these issues before the next track day at the Import Tuner FR Shootout... But more on that in the next post...

All in all, the installation went smoothly and the car feels like a completely different beast. The suspension has been redialed to account for the new aero and I'm spending time relearning new lines and braking points on track but so far it's been a blast. And to top things off, the car with me driving was good enough for a 1st place in the ExtremeSpeed Time Attack RWD Tuner class

I have to give huge shoutouts with all this though:
@Evasive Motorsports - Installing everything and tuning the car was no small task. These guys were champs and stayed late in the night to get my car up and running before the first track day. Then they took the time and effort to support my car in the 4 days between the 1st and 2nd track days. I can't say enough about how awesome these guys are!

West End Alignment - Darin and Chris are the premiere alignment guys on the west coast and while this was my first visit to them, I was immensely impressed with their work. They realigned my coilovers and front control arms to get the best camber/caster setup and recentered my frame and then aligned everything to perfection. They provide excellent feedback during the whole process and are extremely friendly and informative as well.

@CounterSpace Garage - Last but not least, CSG Mike and CSG David were invaluable in helping get my car tuned up suspension wise. They were also there to support my car and make the car look good both on and off the track

If you've made it this far, thanks for reading and checking it out and if you have any questions feel free to hit me up (but I'll probably refer you to @Evasive Motorsports or @CSG Mike lol).
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ImperiousRex For This Useful Post:
Cessblood (11-20-2013), R2RO (10-16-2013), TemeCal (10-12-2013), Toyota GT 86 (08-24-2014)
Old 10-12-2013, 05:21 PM   #132
ImperiousRex
Track Junkie

2013 Import Tuner FR Shootout

This was technically part of my "shakedown" week but I figure this event is significant enough to warrant its own post I had gotten an invite several months ago via @CounterSpace Garage and we were debating whether to run it in the NA street class or the FI class. Either way we were looking at stiff competition either from Rob Walker in an Evasive tuned S2k or the 400-500whp monster S2k's and S14's. And I decided to just get the turbo installed and run it in the FI class. After the install and first shakedown, we were cutting it a little close getting the car prepped for this event but everything seemed to come together at the end.

@CSG Mike was the driver for this event. I'm a decently fast driver but Mike is seconds better than me at every track in SoCal so this was a no brainer. Unfortunately for us though, it seemed like every other team brought pro drivers so it was an uphill battle from the start.

Drivers like Dai Yoshihara in the GoTuning S2k...

But we found a little comfort in the company of other 86 brethren.

And in the classic turbocharger vs. supercharger battle no less

All in all, Mike put down some quick laps throughout the day and I got to have a little fun in my own car at the end of the day as well

We obviously can't talk about results (as the official times were held back by the magazine organizers) but overall it was a great day. Got to see some monster cars and met some great drivers. The car held up very well and we didn't uncover any more issues from the shakedown. Can't ask for more than that On the way home we stopped by to grab some food and talk over the day as well as take a few last pictures. Enjoy!

Thanks again for reading and for the last day of my shakedown check out @Auto-Hauss's build journal for a video of a comparison between my car and his.

P.S. Thanks to @CSG David for all the pics from the event! Except for the one done by JDM Zip Ties - screw David on that one!

Last edited by ImperiousRex; 10-12-2013 at 05:42 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ImperiousRex For This Useful Post:
Auto-Hauss (10-14-2013), Cessblood (11-20-2013), CSG David (10-14-2013), Metabrz (10-18-2013), Satanasso (12-21-2013), TemeCal (10-12-2013)
Old 10-12-2013, 05:25 PM   #133
TemeCal

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Incredible build, Ted. You're one of the nicest guys at the track, with the most insane 86. Always more and more impressed with your build every time I see you. Nice job!
TemeCal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TemeCal For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (10-14-2013), ImperiousRex (10-12-2013)
Old 10-12-2013, 05:38 PM   #134
ImperiousRex
Track Junkie

Thanks Gary! Now if only my driving was as impressive as yours...
Old 10-15-2013, 03:10 AM   #135
Evasive Motorsports

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperiousRex View Post
Ok, so here we go. Thanks to @Evasive Motorsports for posting pics and dynos of the car right after the install! I was swamped with getting my car prepped for a mini marathon of track events after the install so I didn't get a chance to do all the updating myself until now. And I want to give you guys as in-depth look at the process as I can.

A little background on my build up to this point... I've been planning on going forced induction since I first saw the car and all of the modding I've done so far has been done with this in mind. The only parts to be jettisoned for this next stage of the build are the Greddy Momentum Air Intake (the Greddy Turbo kit comes with its own intake pipe/filter) and the Perrin Lightweight Pulley (due to the lightweight flywheel).

As for why I decided to go turbocharger vs. supercharger, the answer is fairly simple. Here in SoCal there are multiple guys/shops that have already gone the supercharger route (Robispec, Innovate, Vortech, Jackson Racing, Kraftwerks to name a few) and were testing on track and I wanted to see how a turbocharger would hold up for track duty in direct competition on the same days. I picked Greddy for both its reputation and quality and my overall goal is to develop the turbo build for reliability so that I can beat on the car for 15+ track days a year. So with the install I planned to have 3 track days within a week of the install and really shakedown the car and see if everything I had planned in my head would hold up in real world testing. (But more on that in a bit...)

Turbo Kit and Supporting Components:
In addition to the Greddy T518Z Turbo Tuner Kit, I decided to upgrade the fuel system as well as parts of the transmission as well. I also upgraded the aero for the car to help put as much of this new power to the ground as possible. So here's the list of parts that went on during this install:

Greddy T518Z Turbo Tuner Kit
Greddy FV Blow-Off Valve (with recirculation)
ACT Lightweight Street Clutch Kit
Deatschwerks 65C Fuel Pump
Deatschwerks 700cc Fuel Injectors
Drive Shaft Shop Carbon Driveshaft
Cusco Engine Mounts
Perrin Transmission Mounts
Aerocatch Hood Pins
Seibon OEM Carbon Fiber Trunk
Voltex Type 2 1600mm Wing
9k Hypercoil Springs (F)

In addition to the parts installs above, I also got the header and downpipes titanium ceramic coated and wrapped with Thermo-Tec wrapping. Coating done by Specialized Coating in Huntington Beach and the wrapping done by Evasive.

Installation Pictures and Notes:
I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this before in my thread but I am not mechanically inclined. I have a general idea of how certain parts work together but if you guys want specifics I would ping @Evasive Motorsports

Now enough talking - onto the pictures!

Titanium Ceramic Coated Header and Downpipes:

The last look of my car with an NA setup @ Evasive:

Installation Day(s):

And now for the actual turbo...

For anyone running the Robispec V2 Radiator/Oil Cooler, the mounting bracket for the intercooler underneath will need to be bent slightly to fit.

The final look into the engine bay:

Wing install:

Post installation notes:
The engine was tuned with EcuTek on Evasive's dyno for both 91 octane and 100 octane fuel.

100 Octane = 271whp / 203 wtq @9.5psi

91 Octane = 252whp / 192 wtq @10psi

We had some issues getting the idle to settle without stalling due to the injectors and lighter flywheel but a bump in RPMs for the idle have fixed this for the most part. I feel this may be something that will need to be fine tuned over the coming year.

Track Shakedown:
So as I mentioned, I had 3 track days planned after the turbo install. The first being literally the day after the install at Chuckwalla Valley Raceway.

While the car ran well, the shakedown did reveal a few small issues. The first being, the front pipe did not have as much clearance as we were hoping. Evasive figured 10mm clearance was enough but under load the engine was still pushing the pipe far enough to vibrate against the frame. And secondly the idle was not quite in the place it needed to be as the car was stalling on clutch in when coasting off track (high speed shifts were fine). So thankfully Dennis @Evasive found me some time to help shore up these issues before the next track day at the Import Tuner FR Shootout... But more on that in the next post...

All in all, the installation went smoothly and the car feels like a completely different beast. The suspension has been redialed to account for the new aero and I'm spending time relearning new lines and braking points on track but so far it's been a blast. And to top things off, the car with me driving was good enough for a 1st place in the ExtremeSpeed Time Attack RWD Tuner class

I have to give huge shoutouts with all this though:
@Evasive Motorsports - Installing everything and tuning the car was no small task. These guys were champs and stayed late in the night to get my car up and running before the first track day. Then they took the time and effort to support my car in the 4 days between the 1st and 2nd track days. I can't say enough about how awesome these guys are!

West End Alignment - Darin and Chris are the premiere alignment guys on the west coast and while this was my first visit to them, I was immensely impressed with their work. They realigned my coilovers and front control arms to get the best camber/caster setup and recentered my frame and then aligned everything to perfection. They provide excellent feedback during the whole process and are extremely friendly and informative as well.

@CounterSpace Garage - Last but not least, CSG Mike and CSG David were invaluable in helping get my car tuned up suspension wise. They were also there to support my car and make the car look good both on and off the track

If you've made it this far, thanks for reading and checking it out and if you have any questions feel free to hit me up (but I'll probably refer you to @Evasive Motorsports or @CSG Mike lol).
Ted you are more then welcome @Evasive Motorsports. We are very honored to have you as a great friend.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Evasive Motorsports For This Useful Post:
Auto-Hauss (10-16-2013), CSG Mike (10-15-2013), ImperiousRex (10-15-2013), Kakawate (11-04-2013), R2RO (10-16-2013)
Old 10-16-2013, 04:04 AM   #136
mokinbird87
BOXER FR

Drives: WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
it was great meeting you and Mike geeking out at the Irvine meet! thanks for putting up with me and answering all my questions!
Old 10-16-2013, 04:39 AM   #137
ImperiousRex
Track Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokinbird87 View Post
it was great meeting you and Mike geeking out at the Irvine meet! thanks for putting up with me and answering all my questions!
Anytime Good luck with the decisions!
Old 10-16-2013, 10:25 PM   #138
ImperiousRex
Track Junkie

And a couple more shots have surfaced from the FR Shootout! I kind of like the filter this photographer used, it almost makes the car looks like it's in Gran Turismo or something >.<

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ImperiousRex For This Useful Post:
B L U E S L A T E (11-04-2013), TemeCal (10-16-2013)
Old 10-16-2013, 10:36 PM   #139
Khazzy

Drives: SWP Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
I love the way the GReddy intercooler looks under the grill.
The Following User Says Thank You to Khazzy For This Useful Post:
ImperiousRex (10-16-2013)
Old 10-16-2013, 11:28 PM   #140
heeltoe86

Drives: 2012 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Great write up Ted! Gary you're pretty quick! I'll see all of you SoCal 86guys at 86Nation! I'm planning on going two weeks prior, to do a chump car race so I can get familiarized again of the track layout.
2006 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner (sold)
1996 Honda Civic (sold)
heeltoe86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to heeltoe86 For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (10-18-2013), ImperiousRex (10-16-2013), TemeCal (10-17-2013)