follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 04-16-2016, 04:11 PM   #7043
riboyster

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Its fine I see how you have it routed. Maybe I have mine running the wrong way. In either case I'm just gonna run them both through a can then vent to atmosphere. Maybe slow down the knock process a bit.
Thanks for the feedback though bro, really appreciate it.
CK_Bladesmith (04-16-2016)
Old 04-16-2016, 09:19 PM   #7044
Chad86
DrivinginDreams...Cloud86

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Is our car stock NA really slow or am I just anticipating boost? I was driving my car today and without wringing out the engine, as I usually drive, I realized how slow it is just to get up to 50KPH/31MPH
I have been driving NA for two years now and it just seems to feel slower and slower the longer I drive at stock power.
I remember the day I picked her up and she felt like a rocket! This car could have definitely used an extra 50HP straight from the factory.

How much of a difference does boost actually make?
Old 04-16-2016, 09:46 PM   #7045
Arcade_West

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad86 View Post
Is our car stock NA really slow or am I just anticipating boost? I was driving my car today and without wringing out the engine, as I usually drive, I realized how slow it is just to get up to 50KPH/31MPH
I have been driving NA for two years now and it just seems to feel slower and slower the longer I drive at stock power.
I remember the day I picked her up and she felt like a rocket! This car could have definitely used an extra 50HP straight from the factory.

It makes a huge difference. The main thing that makes it feel faster is eliminating the torque dip. If you didn't want to go FI you could just get some good headers and a tune, it makes a huge difference.
Arcade_West is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arcade_West For This Useful Post:
Chad86 (04-16-2016), Dream20b (04-17-2016)
Old 04-16-2016, 11:23 PM   #7046
walletsr

Drives: 2014
Pretty much loving this set-up but for some reason I keep getting some cylinder misfires logged on my ecutek, but not popping a cel. I am running e-85 with the 335 and the 80mm pulley. Sent some logs to Moto-Mike, so hopefully we figure out what is going on.
walletsr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to walletsr For This Useful Post:
Chad86 (04-17-2016)
Old 04-16-2016, 11:34 PM   #7047
riboyster

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Maybe run some seafoam and fuel injector cleaner through your system. It's possible that things are fouled up. Check air filter blah blah

Also for beginner tuners I'd suggest open flash tablet
Old 04-18-2016, 01:09 AM   #7048
SlowShifter

Drives: Toyota 86 with supercharger
Quote:

It is nearly 50% more power just with the supercharger alone, so yes it makes a massive difference. The only thing about this car is you have to be over 3500 RPMs if you want real torque/power, if you are under 3500, NA or FI, you are going to find it slow. Try staying over 3500 to avoid the extremely low torque and power under that.

I wish there was an easy way to get under 2500 RPMs way more torquey because this car would be excellent with that.
SlowShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 04:52 PM   #7049
brianhj

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
@sales@delicioustuning.com
@DeliciousTuning

I took a log of the hesitation/stuttering I'm getting below 2k RPM and sometimes even above 2k.

69mm pulley, 93 right now (usually E85), 8.83 update, stock internals and exhaust and intake
brianhj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 05:58 PM   #7050
chargedup

Drives: SC BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm getting some idle issues with my sprintex kit on the base sprintex tune. I saw there was a dealer remap that would eliminate those but not sure what to do from here.
chargedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:23 PM   #7051
whataboutbob
AutoX-10/10ths every run

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S AT Firestorm
Thanked 1,838 Times in 1,000 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcade_West View Post
seems like an awfully expensive way to void your warranty. why not simply add a breather onto the filler point that will achieve the same thing?
I bought my unit through Innovate Motorsports. It is nearly 3 years old, and has 62K+ on it. I'm running a 69mm pulley. I race my car. I'm pretty sure there's at least one thing I just listed that would exclude me from warranty coverage.

[ Delicioustuning | Counterspacegarage | RS-R USA | Cusco USA | SPL Parts | ACE Header | Stark Performance | Infinite Motion | Ciro Racing | Build thread:Here ]
[ GR Corolla Core in White w/LSDs on wish list ]
whataboutbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:03 PM   #7052
Arcade_West

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by whataboutbob View Post
I bought my unit through Innovate Motorsports. It is nearly 3 years old, and has 62K+ on it. I'm running a 69mm pulley. I race my car. I'm pretty sure there's at least one thing I just listed that would exclude me from warranty coverage.
the warranty part was a joke, pretty sure everyone here has voided there warranty somehow. Don't focus so much on it. The main point I'm making is, it is an overly complex fix for something that doesn't really even need fixing. Who cares if it uses oil? If its using more than a couple of milliliters per week then you've got bigger issues. Oil is cheap, this mod is not.
Arcade_West is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Arcade_West For This Useful Post:
Chad86 (04-19-2016)
Old 04-19-2016, 05:48 AM   #7053
SlowShifter

So today I checked the oil in the supercharger, first time I've done it, and yeah I know I'm stupid for relying on my mechanic to check that for me.

Anyhow it was nearly bone dry, maybe 30ml of sludge I could extract from it. How bad is this for the supercharger? I'm assuming it has been low for a very long time and the mechanic never cared to check. Anyhow while I was there I checked the battery fluids too, all low but still just over the plates. I checked the running voltage and it was 14.33V, which seems a little high but not excessive. The standing voltage after a trip last I checked was 13.4 which seems like the battery is still ok. All cells had a egg smell (hydrogen sulfide) upon opening them.

The round metal clips that hold the supercharger air tunnel thing to the airbox were all loose, very loose. I noticed this when I was testing for bubbles and saw the water just get sucked right into the airflow. So I have 4 of those metal clips around the main air intake and all of them were loose, 2 very loose, nearly coming off loose. I'm not sure how this is possible unless the mechanic somehow loosened them up in the last service which is where I started to notice more problems with the car.

And while I was there I took a very close inspection of the supercharger itself. I tested all the bolts, tried to determine if any were loose or missing, none were. I did some bubble tests, couldn't really find anything in the easy to see areas. But there was a strange hissing noise I could hear after the supercharger whine died down. So I keep feeling around, trying to see if it was the supercharger (it sounded like it) and one of the bolts, the one that goes up from the bottom closest to the alternator appears weird. If I put my finger over that bolt I hear a different hissing sound, like I am interrupting some air flow. Is it possible the bolt itself can have a leak? I attempted to tighten it and it doesn't want to move.

I uploaded a video, keep your ear out for the change in that "Hissing" sound, I don't think this is normal but I am not a supercharger expert. I hope someone can help me. This is what I get for my first new car and not doing my own services, I'm an idiot.

https://sendvid.com/8nyyowet
Old 04-19-2016, 08:47 AM   #7054
sam69

Drives: GT 86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
My cars rarely ever see a mechanic for those sort of reasons and the 86 lost warranty at 4000 km due to going boost so have looked after it since then.
Only take your car to someone you can totally trust otherwise I'd look else ware .

The link to the vid open another window when I click on it and it talks over the top of yours and even when I turned that off the vid loads very slowly and is poor quality so can't really judge the noise .
sam69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:29 AM   #7055
SlowShifter

If you watch the last 15 seconds of the video, it is when I put my finger on the bolt, I take it off and on a couple times and you can hear it. It is kinda hard to hear it though, but is possible. I'll try to get a better recording.
Old 04-20-2016, 04:30 AM   #7056
SlowShifter

Does anyone have any recommendations for me in regards to attempting to clean up the fuel system before I go to the effort of replacing the spark plugs and other things? Would spraying pure ethanol (or anything) into the throttle air intake help or hinder? I'm basically looking for anything "easy" to attempt before I go full scale on my main stuttering issue after I fix this leak.

Tags
2 whp better than n/a e85, 2 whp? you're an idiot., 2screwsbetterthan0screw, 65 whp better than na e85, bspt fittings ftl, hate u all me no have sc, im just here for the tags, inorite!, it's no turbo but, only big numbers matter, screwyou, whine sexier than turbo, whines_more_than_your_gf, wts grey market butthurt.