follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 05-03-2019, 09:50 PM   #1
Clutch Dog

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP , 2005 Saab 97X
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Engineering and You

Hello All,
I figure this is as good as place as any to sort of throw out feeler questions. Or rather ask for help, insight or maybe guidance.

I am about to leave the USN after being active for about 11 years or so. Currently I am leaning towards a Mechatronics degree as I have worked both with electrical, and mechanical systems and now more recently personnel and software.

Turns out no matter what realm you deal with dumb people and I figure the best way to do something I like is to combine my mechanical prowess with computers and get into Mechatronics.

So my question sort of follows as such:
How do I start?
What schools should I look into? I am leaning towards heading back down South East to Georgia, I know a few good fellows I used to work with, and a couple of which have been literal life long friends.

Is the Degree even relevant or should I go to a technical school and start working on trade vs a degree.
Combined I have about 14 years of mechanical experience. and various outlets from simple wrenching, to wiring, soldering, welding, hand fabrication.
I do not have experience with CAD software or 3D Printing and I am seeing that as having huge potential.

Right now I am also leaning towards trying to get into the Medical Robotics field, as either a serviceman or technician. As much as people in general frustrate me, I do feel.. good... helping others .

Again this is sort of a shot in the dark and seeing who knows what.

But if you have any information or guidance, or maybe you are interested yourself in the topic. Post away.
Clutch Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 10:58 PM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,824 Times in 16,428 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Dog View Post
Hello All,
I figure this is as good as place as any to sort of throw out feeler questions. Or rather ask for help, insight or maybe guidance.

I am about to leave the USN after being active for about 11 years or so. Currently I am leaning towards a Mechatronics degree as I have worked both with electrical, and mechanical systems and now more recently personnel and software.

Turns out no matter what realm you deal with dumb people and I figure the best way to do something I like is to combine my mechanical prowess with computers and get into Mechatronics.

So my question sort of follows as such:
How do I start?
What schools should I look into? I am leaning towards heading back down South East to Georgia, I know a few good fellows I used to work with, and a couple of which have been literal life long friends.

Is the Degree even relevant or should I go to a technical school and start working on trade vs a degree.
Combined I have about 14 years of mechanical experience. and various outlets from simple wrenching, to wiring, soldering, welding, hand fabrication.
I do not have experience with CAD software or 3D Printing and I am seeing that as having huge potential.

Right now I am also leaning towards trying to get into the Medical Robotics field, as either a serviceman or technician. As much as people in general frustrate me, I do feel.. good... helping others .

Again this is sort of a shot in the dark and seeing who knows what.

But if you have any information or guidance, or maybe you are interested yourself in the topic. Post away.
First off, thanks for serving our country -

Second off, I suggest you rid yourself of your "dumb people" thoughts.

I had to look it up, but, mechatronics sounds like a good field.

I suggest you look into the educational benefits of the GI bill.

If your HOR or you plan on establishing residence in Georgia, The Georgia Institute of Technology looks good.

https://study.com/articles/Mechatron...to_Choose.html

Good luck with the transition from military to civilian life -

humfrz
humfrz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Clutch Dog (05-04-2019), JD001 (05-05-2019)
Old 05-05-2019, 01:48 AM   #3
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,434 Times in 6,149 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
So I'm confused as to what you are looking to do. Do you want to be an engineer, or a technician (thread title vs your first post)? Both are good career paths that seem similar, but are actually quite different in my experience (I am an engineer).

The short version of the difference is that technicians primarily work with machines. Engineers primarily work with the information that describes machines. Both have work with other people. Not to say there isn't overlap, but most of my job is organizing information so that it makes sense to someone else.

If you want to be an engineer, you need a bachelor's degree at a minimum. I would recommend sticking with a mechanical or electrical program, but if you go to a school with both you shouldn't really have to decide until sophomore year. It's a huge time commitment and you have to really want it. As an example, I graduated with approximately a third of the class I started with, everyone else transferred to another major or dropped out.

I never went down the technician route myself, but I work with many technicians. Good technicians are just as valued as good engineers, and sometimes can make more money depending on the industry. Also, at least where I work, technicians get educational assistance if they apply for it which some use to transition to engineering or management (which also requires a degree). I haven't really looked into what the prerequisites for out various techs are, but I think a degree or certificate of some sort is a strong plus, though probably not required. If there are required certifications, I think companies will actually pay for them because that stuff is expensive and very specific.

Hopefully something of that helps. Or maybe I'm just rambling at 1:45am...
Spuds is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
Clutch Dog (05-05-2019), Dadhawk (05-06-2019), humfrz (05-05-2019), Racecomp Engineering (05-06-2019), ScoobsMcGee (05-06-2019), Takumi788 (05-08-2019), Ultramaroon (09-30-2019)
Old 05-06-2019, 09:51 AM   #4
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,242 Times in 2,963 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Some of the smartest people I know are dumb as shit sometimes. So that's something to always keep in mind.

Engineering is a big commitment and as mentioned you have to really want it. Also many technicians are very good at engineering-type work (and vice-versa).

Georgia Tech and Virginia Tech are very good southern engineering schools. But a year or 2 knocking out prereqs and the early engineering classes at a 2 year community college will help you figure out what you want to do and save you a lot of money.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
Clutch Dog (05-07-2019), humfrz (05-06-2019), spike021 (05-06-2019), Spuds (05-06-2019), Tcoat (05-06-2019)
Old 05-06-2019, 11:49 AM   #5
Gunman

Drives: 2019 Mazda Miata RF
Thanked 1,317 Times in 736 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I started out in college thinking I wanted to be an electrical engineer. Soon, I decided mechanical was more my thing, and by the end of the first year, I was off to a tech school, because i wanted to draw the stuff, not do presentations on it. Now, I have the title "design engineer", but I'm a CAD jockey, which I like.

So, you may not know what direction you want to go, until you start down the path. Nothing wrong with a good tech school, and then college if you want more. Just make sure the credits from the tech school will count, so you aren't starting from scratch.
Gunman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gunman For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (05-06-2019), Spuds (05-06-2019), Takumi788 (05-08-2019)
Old 05-06-2019, 01:07 PM   #6
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
I'd lean towards getting an engineering degree vs. a trade school, as I think that the opportunities for career advancement can be better with an engineering degree. But it all depends on what you like doing and where you want to be further down the road. Where I work, engineers are salaried and technicians are hourly. There are pros and cons to either (depending on your perspective), but in general your earning potential is a lot higher as an engineer, for the same amount of hours worked.

The way I see it, if you get a trade, you'll probably be in that trade a very long time (which is fine if you enjoy it, but what if that trade changes and goes away?). But if you get a degree (like mechanical engineering), you'll be able to find work in a greater variety of industries.
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 01:26 PM   #7
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiumai View Post
I'd lean towards getting an engineering degree vs. a trade school, as I think that the opportunities for career advancement can be better with an engineering degree. But it all depends on what you like doing and where you want to be further down the road. Where I work, engineers are salaried and technicians are hourly. There are pros and cons to either (depending on your perspective), but in general your earning potential is a lot higher as an engineer, for the same amount of hours worked.

The way I see it, if you get a trade, you'll probably be in that trade a very long time (which is fine if you enjoy it, but what if that trade changes and goes away?). But if you get a degree (like mechanical engineering), you'll be able to find work in a greater variety of industries.
Pretty much the total opposite here. Right now I can hire an engineer at a bargain basement wage since we have them all over the place. To try and find a tech or tradesperson is almost impossible and they can pretty much pick and chose where they work. Our techs easily make as much or more than our engineers. This is especially true when you factor in that they get paid overtime where the salaried guys do not. It is not unheard of where the techs can almost double the engineer pay over the course of a year. A tech that keeps up with changes will never have their trade "go away" any more than an engineer can become outdated if they don't change with the times.
My grandson is headed towards becoming a millwright and already has 2 offers of apprenticeship even though he still has a year of high school left. With all the education grants available because of the shortage of skilled trades here he will end up paying almost nothing for his education. If I was just starting out it would be a no brainer for me.

Although the OP does seem to consider most people "dumb" so he already has a good jump on being an engineer!
Gunman (05-08-2019), strat61caster (05-07-2019), Takumi788 (05-08-2019)
Old 05-06-2019, 01:45 PM   #8
Tomm
Identifying as a Member

Drives: 2013 FRS LS1
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I think its kind of hard to figure out what degree/training to get before you know what you want to do. Try finding the career you want first, find the best company to work for, find out what it takes to land the job, then check those boxes and get the job.

EDIT: Nothing sucks more than paying for a degree and then not being able to use it. Post 9/11 GI is only covers about 80% of tuition unless you go to a yellow ribbon school.
Tomm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tomm For This Useful Post:
Clutch Dog (05-07-2019), Tcoat (05-06-2019)
Old 05-06-2019, 02:11 PM   #9
shiumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Pretty much the total opposite here. Right now I can hire an engineer at a bargain basement wage since we have them all over the place. To try and find a tech or tradesperson is almost impossible and they can pretty much pick and chose where they work. Our techs easily make as much or more than our engineers. This is especially true when you factor in that they get paid overtime where the salaried guys do not. It is not unheard of where the techs can almost double the engineer pay over the course of a year. A tech that keeps up with changes will never have their trade "go away" any more than an engineer can become outdated if they don't change with the times.
My grandson is headed towards becoming a millwright and already has 2 offers of apprenticeship even though he still has a year of high school left. With all the education grants available because of the shortage of skilled trades here he will end up paying almost nothing for his education. If I was just starting out it would be a no brainer for me.

Although the OP does seem to consider most people "dumb" so he already has a good jump on being an engineer!
Definitely not the case where I work, if you compare people with the same number of years of experience. Our techs make overtime for every hour worked over 40, but so do I as an engineer, as long as I work a minimum of 8 hours overtime. But, I don't work overtime. I'll flex my time as needed.

Techs can definitely make a lot of money, but those who do also work a lot more. If you compare a tech and engineer both working a 40-hour work week, the engineer will typically make more. As time goes on, the techs top out in hourly wage, whereas engineers can decided to stick with the technical track or management track.

As for keeping up with industry changes, engineers are given more leeway and opportunities for learning on the job. If you have an engineering degree, some learning curve is expected when you change positions, and generally the company expects that. For the technician jobs, there's less leeway I've noticed.

I'm sure things are different depending on where you are, the job market etc, but that's been my observation in my industry in my area.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shiumai For This Useful Post:
Clutch Dog (05-07-2019), Tcoat (05-06-2019)
Old 05-06-2019, 02:36 PM   #10
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Definitely not the case where I work, if you compare people with the same number of years of experience. Our techs make overtime for every hour worked over 40, but so do I as an engineer, as long as I work a minimum of 8 hours overtime. But, I don't work overtime. I'll flex my time as needed.

Techs can definitely make a lot of money, but those who do also work a lot more. If you compare a tech and engineer both working a 40-hour work week, the engineer will typically make more. As time goes on, the techs top out in hourly wage, whereas engineers can decided to stick with the technical track or management track.

As for keeping up with industry changes, engineers are given more leeway and opportunities for learning on the job. If you have an engineering degree, some learning curve is expected when you change positions, and generally the company expects that. For the technician jobs, there's less leeway I've noticed.

I'm sure things are different depending on where you are, the job market etc, but that's been my observation in my industry in my area.
Oh there are a massive number of variables in each scenario. I was just talking the basics as applies to manufacturing here. The issue we have is the education system keeps pumping out engineers when what we need are people to get their hands dirty. Our one site uses engineers as maintenance workers and even has a couple that actually work on the line as hourly assemblers since they can not find engineering work that pays as well. I post for an entry level engineer position and will get hundreds of applications from across the country so can pick what one I like best to start the next week. It took us over a year to find an industrial electrician. Hell I even resorted to asking one here!

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117233
Clutch Dog (05-07-2019), shiumai (05-06-2019)
Old 05-06-2019, 03:18 PM   #11
shiumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Oh there are a massive number of variables in each scenario. I was just talking the basics as applies to manufacturing here. The issue we have is the education system keeps pumping out engineers when what we need are people to get their hands dirty. Our one site uses engineers as maintenance workers and even has a couple that actually work on the line as hourly assemblers since they can not find engineering work that pays as well. I post for an entry level engineer position and will get hundreds of applications from across the country so can pick what one I like best to start the next week. It took us over a year to find an industrial electrician. Hell I even resorted to asking one here!

LOL - not to derail this thread but I'm in complete agreement there. Not enough young folk (millenials) are willing to actually get their hands dirty and work for a living. Most of our hourly folk (technical and non-technical like expeditors etc) are union, so there's no crossing the lines either way between engineering and technicians.

I've seen a lot of young ones hired on, and unlike the 'days of old' where the youngest folk were the most energetic and eager to learn, these kids think that showing up to work is working, then groan when they're told to put their phones away. Being a union shop, and based on seniority, they don't have much incentive to learn a lot since come layoff time they're the first ones to go. Unfortunately, many I've seen lack that work ethic to take pride in doing the best job they can regardless of circumstances.

So, engineer or trade/vocational school? I'd say that it all boils down to a number of factors - personal and financial goals, preference, ability, etc. I will say that I'd recommend getting an engineering degree at a state university vs. a private one. Even if you can afford it, I just don't think it's worth the extra cost. If it were law or medical school, different story. Not all trade/vocational schools are cheap, either.
The Following User Says Thank You to shiumai For This Useful Post:
Clutch Dog (05-07-2019)
Old 05-06-2019, 03:27 PM   #12
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,434 Times in 6,149 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
I've seen a lot of young ones hired on, and unlike the 'days of old' where the youngest folk were the most energetic and eager to learn, these kids think that showing up to work is working, then groan when they're told to put their phones away. Being a union shop, and based on seniority, they don't have much incentive to learn a lot since come layoff time they're the first ones to go. Unfortunately, many I've seen lack that work ethic to take pride in doing the best job they can regardless of circumstances.
So you definitely aren't posting using your phone then?
Spuds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 03:41 PM   #13
shiumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
So you definitely aren't posting using your phone then?

Nope - I can't type worth a damn on it. Plus my aging eyes get fatigued from reading that tiny screen for too long. If I'm answering more than a few words, it's gotta be on my computer.
Old 05-07-2019, 05:12 PM   #14
Clutch Dog

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP , 2005 Saab 97X
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Thank you all for your input.

I grew up in the midwest even under the guise of being a Damned Millennial ( I guess I am one. Jan 91 baby) I grew up working with chores, had to beg for an allowance, didn't have a laptop till senior year ( bought it myself, but we didnt have internet) no phone till after highschool and spent summers shucking corn, and winters bailing snow. I joined the Navy to not put a financial burden on my parents and get the heck outta Illinois. Been in since about 2010, and while I wouldnt recommend it to everyone, it did provide me with some technical knowledge and the ability to grind out a few certifications and it mostly gave me time to mature and narrow down the things I like, and also what I am actually good at. And dip my fingers in a few different genre's of jobs, even in engineering you have the 3M program, radcon, metalurgy, and if steam, steel, and gaskets arent clean enough. rows and rows of schematics, and diving through technical documents ( I have a literal qualification as technical librarian)

as you can tell by me calling people dumb, social interaction isnt a forte, haha

I do also know that the tradesmen breed is dying, or more importantly leaving the work force, where-beit overseas or literal retirement.

I also know that to be more flexible and stick with projects and being something bigger than just a physical labor worker, engineering might get me to a place where I can work on whatever projects I want.

That said I think tech skills or schools are more inline with what interests me. I have a few credits already ( somewhere around 52) and am working on getting a welders certification. I am based outta San diego for the time being and outside of the car scene (shops) and the tracks ( and maybe camping) I cant wait to leave. I have a lot to look at and this as given me some ideas.

At the end of everything, the main goal is the same. Integrate into the civilian work force. Live cheaply and effectively to buy land somewhere in the south east ( I think...) and start working on my own home ( i like to draft and draw up ideas) while also hanging out with some really good mates in the area, we are conversing about a communal work shop. Ive even considered moving my home of record ( legally we can do it once) to Georgia to gain residency because I believe Illinois only has Champlain-Urbana? and I have no desire to return to Illinois in any capacity (rather move to Ohio)

So in that frame I wouldnt need a super whimadime paying job, but again Im not sure I want to do per se roofing for a living and have that be it.

I figure since I was brought up with both a wrench and keyboard in hand, I could be a guy who can work on manufacturing or medical robotics on both sides of the machine, computer/electronic, and the mechanical side.

For the longest time I wanted to work in the aviation industry but being with the military and sort of working alongside the FAA has... waned that dream
Clutch Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clutch Dog For This Useful Post:
shiumai (05-07-2019)