follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 06-04-2013, 01:38 PM   #57
2forme

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,552 Times in 843 Posts
Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
The correct response by Toyobaru would be to issue a recall and fix the cause of the problem while also updating the design to be more resistant to it in the future. I mean, the cost of these parts are miniscule compared to the amount a new motor would cost, even assuming it only ever affects 1% of owners.
2forme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:51 PM   #58
Carwhisperer

Drives: A lot of supercars.
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchy View Post
IIRC he had heat sink issues causing the car to be unresponsive.

Also i wouldn't worry about not driving the car hard. If it blows up, it blows up, i'm not tracking the car so if anything i'm doing CSG Mike a favor by driving hard and running the risk of this issue occurring to my car on the street. if it does, then there's another car to be added to the list of this issue to help toybaru find a permanent fix.
Really surprised my motor hasn't detonated, especially even after the mechanic driving it on the highway to replicate it doing all the popping continuously. My bay is all stock.

Last edited by Carwhisperer; 06-04-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Carwhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:38 PM   #59
spitz

Drives: '13 SWP BRZ-L
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche View Post
So what if they replace my injector components. How badly have my pistons already been damaged? How close is my engine to catastrophic failure now?
I question this as well... Even if my seals are OK, has the damage already been done to the pistons?

spitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:43 PM   #60
Shagaliscious
Banned

Drives: Firestorm FR-S (MT)
Thanked 2,478 Times in 1,166 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Just out of curiosity, everyone who is having these injector troubles, did you follow proper break-in procedure? Everyone always argues whether you should or shouldn't follow the manufacturers break-in procedure. Well, I think this would be a good place to start collecting data.
Shagaliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:08 PM   #61
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagaliscious View Post
Just out of curiosity, everyone who is having these injector troubles, did you follow proper break-in procedure? Everyone always argues whether you should or shouldn't follow the manufacturers break-in procedure. Well, I think this would be a good place to start collecting data.
We can do even better, since we had two engines. Both were broken in per manufacturer recommendation, with easy driving, surface street speeds only.

I literally drove from Los Angeles to San Diego for dinner, using surface streets only. Took about 5 hours.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Shagaliscious (06-04-2013), strat61caster (06-04-2013)
Old 06-04-2013, 05:14 PM   #62
Shagaliscious
Banned

Drives: Firestorm FR-S (MT)
Thanked 2,478 Times in 1,166 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
We can do even better, since we had two engines. Both were broken in per manufacturer recommendation, with easy driving, surface street speeds only.

I literally drove from Los Angeles to San Diego for dinner, using surface streets only. Took about 5 hours.
Well, that was easy. Thanks.
Shagaliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:15 PM   #63
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagaliscious View Post
Well, that was easy. Thanks.
Also, when you're literally doing surface streets only, you only clock 20-30 miles on the odometer per hour.... -_-
Old 06-04-2013, 05:46 PM   #64
Porsche

Drives: 2013 BRZ Ltd. MT
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Here are some further thoughts to ponder: So far, Subaru/Toyota have not shown that they have a general fix for all of us, and/or are uninterested in pursuing a universal fix. My suspicions currently are that this phenomenon of “Burst Knock” (to borrow from GM), and the potential or certain(?) catastrophe that follows when sufficient damage accumulates over time is applicable to anyone who drives these cars “aggressively.” It may destruct sooner if one tracks the car, but I have to wonder if my BRZ is safe even if I do not track the car. It just may take longer.

That Toyota bulletin indicated the cause of failure to be the result of “aggressive” shifting above 5200 rpm.

If it blows up, Subaru/Toyota will replace your engine.

Once.

Meaning?

To me, as I read things, they currently cannot assure owners that the engine will not destruct yet again. But next time = NO WARRANTY.

No warranty to cover our engines on our new cars. The most expensive component on our cars is no longer covered following the first replacement which occurred through no fault of the owner, but was almost certainly the result of a serious design flaw.

Faced with that situation, I would not dare take it over 5200 rpm and shift “aggressively.”

Now, is it not true that the engine replacement would be recorded in the CarFax database?

What will that do to the resale value of said car?

Would YOU buy it as a used car at market competitive prices? With an ENGINE REPLACEMENT on record?

Not me, mon.

Maybe for a $10,000 discount, but I’d probably still avoid it. Who needs that kind of trouble? Will a non-Subaru dealer give me full market trade value on a trade-in? Will Subaru, even? They’ve still got to sell it to an increasingly savvy market who know enough to check the CarFax records.

For the record: I am unaware of any problems with MY car of any significance, although I have just now heard my crickets awaken at 4200 miles. Crickets do not concern me, and no one is touching my fuel pump, thank you. I took delivery of my new BRZ one year ago.

And for Shag’s edification, I broke it in very progressively and patiently. In fact, I followed the Porsche company’s break-in procedure. Many folks would sneer at how I broke in my BRZ. But, I’ll bet when they’re in the market for a used BRZ, mine’s the one they’d want to buy.

I really like this car. But these recent developments concern me.

I know they can do better than this. In the recent Nurburgring 24-Hour Race, the GT86 won one class and was second in another and many others scored very well. Did they not do well last year, too? I fail to see how those cars could do that with the same ECU fuel/ignition mapping that we have on our street cars. These engines can be made to work, and work reliably. There surely is no tougher endurance race on the calendar than this one.
Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:03 PM   #65
Carwhisperer

Drives: A lot of supercars.
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche View Post
Here are some further thoughts to ponder: So far, Subaru/Toyota have not shown that they have a general fix for all of us, and/or are uninterested in pursuing a universal fix. My suspicions currently are that this phenomenon of “Burst Knock” (to borrow from GM), and the potential or certain(?) catastrophe that follows when sufficient damage accumulates over time is applicable to anyone who drives these cars “aggressively.” It may destruct sooner if one tracks the car, but I have to wonder if my BRZ is safe even if I do not track the car. It just may take longer.

That Toyota bulletin indicated the cause of failure to be the result of “aggressive” shifting above 5200 rpm.

If it blows up, Subaru/Toyota will replace your engine.

Once.

Meaning?

To me, as I read things, they currently cannot assure owners that the engine will not destruct yet again. But next time = NO WARRANTY.

No warranty to cover our engines on our new cars. The most expensive component on our cars is no longer covered following the first replacement which occurred through no fault of the owner, but was almost certainly the result of a serious design flaw.

Faced with that situation, I would not dare take it over 5200 rpm and shift “aggressively.”

Now, is it not true that the engine replacement would be recorded in the CarFax database?

What will that do to the resale value of said car?

Would YOU buy it as a used car at market competitive prices? With an ENGINE REPLACEMENT on record?

Not me, mon.

Maybe for a $10,000 discount, but I’d probably still avoid it. Who needs that kind of trouble? Will a non-Subaru dealer give me full market trade value on a trade-in? Will Subaru, even? They’ve still got to sell it to an increasingly savvy market who know enough to check the CarFax records.

For the record: I am unaware of any problems with MY car of any significance, although I have just now heard my crickets awaken at 4200 miles. Crickets do not concern me, and no one is touching my fuel pump, thank you. I took delivery of my new BRZ one year ago.

And for Shag’s edification, I broke it in very progressively and patiently. In fact, I followed the Porsche company’s break-in procedure. Many folks would sneer at how I broke in my BRZ. But, I’ll bet when they’re in the market for a used BRZ, mine’s the one they’d want to buy.

I really like this car. But these recent developments concern me.

I know they can do better than this. In the recent Nurburgring 24-Hour Race, the GT86 won one class and was second in another and many others scored very well. Did they not do well last year, too? I fail to see how those cars could do that with the same ECU fuel/ignition mapping that we have on our street cars. These engines can be made to work, and work reliably. There surely is no tougher endurance race on the calendar than this one.
I know!!...I went with the car because it is Toyota. Period. I want reliability and if I WOT to redline with "Aggressive shifting" my car literally 1-2 times a week for not even a 30 second sprint, THIS SHOULD NOT HAPPEN especially at 18k miles.
Carwhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:21 PM   #66
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,480 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Seems like the fix is an ECU reflash, shouldn't be long to fix... After EPA vetting of course -.-
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Carwhisperer (06-04-2013)
Old 06-04-2013, 06:42 PM   #67
wootwoot

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Agreed. I expect the TSB to show up in the mail relatively soon. I, once again, suggest you all call your OEM and and talk about this issue. Get it documented and let them know we are aware there is a problem.
wootwoot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wootwoot For This Useful Post:
Carwhisperer (06-04-2013)
Old 06-04-2013, 06:50 PM   #68
mx5apex

Drives: 2010 Mazda 3 hatch
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
What's the point of having a 7400 rpm redline if the engine can't take it...
mx5apex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mx5apex For This Useful Post:
1stGenBRZ86 (08-04-2013), ATL BRZ (06-05-2013), BatStig (06-04-2013), Carwhisperer (06-04-2013), CSG Mike (06-04-2013), Spartan65 (06-12-2013), SubieNate (06-05-2013)
Old 06-04-2013, 06:56 PM   #69
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx5apex View Post
THANK YOU.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:06 PM   #70
Hanakuso

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx5apex View Post
Looks good in commercials
Hanakuso is offline   Reply With Quote