follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 06-14-2012, 10:48 PM   #1
tdoggy57

Drives: Asphalt Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Tdoggy57's Asphalt AT

Ok, so I finally got the car I've been drooling over for months now. I've been reading these forums and every tidbit of info that came out for months and now I can actually call it mine. That's how we all feel, right?

I will turn 20 this summer and I've got a good job and not any bills at all, so I decided to start off my real automotive life with a nice car. I found that one of the only FRS left in DE was the color and transmission that I wanted, I had to move in quick. I had an awesome salesman named Jonathan at Price Scion, so the leasing experience was a pleasure aside from the bank taking a long part on their end. I'm coming from a 2001 Prelude and a 2000 Civic Hatch before that, so this is my first new car.

I got the automatic since I like the convenience and had tiptronic in the Prelude which I liked, so I knew this would be even better. I love the paddle shifters and shifting using the stick. They are so quick to respond, which my friend even made a comment about compared to my Prelude. The best way to drive the automatic is definitely by choosing your own gears. Didn't really try the sport or vsc sport much, I played with the buttons, of course. I was just driving it around town, so there was really no way to tell a difference. The normal automatic mode is just nice and smooth and pretty relaxing, and I like how you can change gears just by using the paddle shifter in this mode.

The steering feels good, I think it's weighted well and any input felt precise. The ride was a lot smoother than I expected, even over some of the bad roads around here. My Prelude on lowering springs didn't give a very pleasant ride compared to this. Still just getting used to driving it.

I actually love the interior and the stock audio unit. Sounds pretty good for stock, nothing I have to change immediately. I love the bluetooth feature, I get in the car and my music just automatically starts. Everybody notices how small the "back seats" (or a place to throw stuff) are, but I normally don't like to ride with more than 1 person anyhow.

I've been breaking a few necks all evening and my friends love it too. I had one wave and plenty of confused stares! A 50 or so year old guy on a Harley pulled up and said, "Is this the car they've been advertising on TV? Looks nice." That surprised me just because of the demographics.

My only problem so far is that I can't feel when I'm going to fast. It just cruises!

Current mods:

Tinted Windows (18%)
Eibach R1 Coilovers
Borla Cat-back Exhaust
Grazio Black Chrome GT86 Badging
Rear Fog-light
Grazio Black Crystal Sidemarkers
Grazio Black Crystal Turns (not installed)
WORKS Drop-in Filter
Beatsonic Shark-fin Antenna

Last edited by tdoggy57; 03-31-2014 at 08:19 AM.
tdoggy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tdoggy57 For This Useful Post:
stalon320 (06-18-2012)
Old 06-14-2012, 10:55 PM   #2
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Welcome and congrats!

If you are interested, Mishimoto is in your neck of the woods and in need of a car for R&D:

Mishimoto (Looking for an FRS/BRZ to develop cooling components)
Wilmington, DE
[Contact John: jmarsteller@mishimoto.com]
http://www.mishimoto.com/contact.html
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lonewolf For This Useful Post:
tdoggy57 (06-15-2012)
Old 06-15-2012, 10:08 AM   #3
Mishimoto

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
Welcome and congrats!

If you are interested, Mishimoto is in your neck of the woods and in need of a car for R&D:

Mishimoto (Looking for an FRS/BRZ to develop cooling components)
Wilmington, DE
[Contact John: jmarsteller@mishimoto.com]
http://www.mishimoto.com/contact.html
Thanks Lonewolf!

Tdoggy that FRS is looking nice, really like the color choice. Have not seen many on the roads here in DE, so get out there and enjoy it.
Looks like you did some work to your prelude, any plans with the new ride?

Have a great day!
-Mishimoto
Mishimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mishimoto For This Useful Post:
tdoggy57 (06-15-2012)
Old 06-15-2012, 11:26 AM   #4
tdoggy57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishimoto View Post
Thanks Lonewolf!

Tdoggy that FRS is looking nice, really like the color choice. Have not seen many on the roads here in DE, so get out there and enjoy it.
Looks like you did some work to your prelude, any plans with the new ride?

Have a great day!
-Mishimoto
I hadn't seen one on the road yet, I think there may only be about 5 in northern DE all together! I drove it about 60 miles last night just cruising around and I love it so far.

I am looking at all the options right now trying to figure out what to do, but I'm happy with the stock set up until I decide. I'd like to get some HP gains at some point, nothing major, maybe just another 40 or 50 total. I'd like some springs or coilovers to drop it on, and of course some new wheels to go along with that.

My first "mod" might just be a simple tint job. Thinking 15% like I had on the Prelude. Still trying to decide about debadging.

What exactly are you guys looking to do with an FRS?
Old 06-17-2012, 08:07 PM   #5
tdoggy57

Loving the car more and more every time I drive it. The automatic transmission on this car is awesome.

I need to order a shark fin!
Old 06-18-2012, 12:07 AM   #6
stalon320

Drives: Scion FR-S coming 2013!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Congrats on your ride! I'm looking at getting one next Spring.. Either Aregnto or Raven with the A/T. Good to hear how yours responds.. I too am used to a tiptronic type transmission.. I like it because if i want to shift, i can.. or if i just want to cruise.. (or stuck in traffic) I don't have to worry.
If you can tell more about the VSC/SPORT mode.. or how the car handles in the rain.. slick roads and such.. it would be very helpful.
I'll be getting some stuff before i actually get my car.. Looking at new Rims (stock size) Carbon Fiber and Aluminium for the interior.. and definately a duckbill spoiler and fog lights to start off.. Might want to get either the 5AD lip kit or the TRD one.. still not sure. Also might do leather seats/door panels.. Whats your plans besides the HP gains??

Countdown to Spring 2013- FR-S A/T in either Argento or Raven
stalon320 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stalon320 For This Useful Post:
tdoggy57 (06-18-2012)
Old 06-18-2012, 12:39 AM   #7
KI_ZN6

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Congrats and hope you are enjoying your new ride so far XD
KI_ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KI_ZN6 For This Useful Post:
tdoggy57 (06-18-2012)
Old 06-18-2012, 09:29 AM   #8
tdoggy57

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalon320 View Post
Congrats on your ride! I'm looking at getting one next Spring.. Either Aregnto or Raven with the A/T. Good to hear how yours responds.. I too am used to a tiptronic type transmission.. I like it because if i want to shift, i can.. or if i just want to cruise.. (or stuck in traffic) I don't have to worry.
If you can tell more about the VSC/SPORT mode.. or how the car handles in the rain.. slick roads and such.. it would be very helpful.
I'll be getting some stuff before i actually get my car.. Looking at new Rims (stock size) Carbon Fiber and Aluminium for the interior.. and definately a duckbill spoiler and fog lights to start off.. Might want to get either the 5AD lip kit or the TRD one.. still not sure. Also might do leather seats/door panels.. Whats your plans besides the HP gains??
The reasons you listed are the same reason I enjoy the AT transmission...I feel like it's the best of both worlds.

I will be giving more of my thoughts on the different modes after I've had more time driving and using them. I've used Sport mode a little bit, but it's hard around here to get away from traffic and really enjoy it. That's my mission this week. I've been mostly just shifting myself using the actual shifter and I've been enjoying that. It's just instant.

I'm also looking at new rims, possibly 18's, but I'm in no rush because I am actually a fan of the stock rims (as far as stock goes). I am looking around at options but that's probably something down the road.

I like the interior as-is. I may add a touch screen headunit, but once again I'm in no rush since the stock stereo actually impresses me and I enjoy the ease of use and seamless syncing with my Iphone.

Besides tint and rims, I'm thinking lowering springs if they dont hinder the greatness of the car much, window tint, and possibly something with the headlights but I'm not sure what just yet.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:15 PM   #9
Mishimoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdoggy57 View Post
I hadn't seen one on the road yet, I think there may only be about 5 in northern DE all together! I drove it about 60 miles last night just cruising around and I love it so far.

I am looking at all the options right now trying to figure out what to do, but I'm happy with the stock set up until I decide. I'd like to get some HP gains at some point, nothing major, maybe just another 40 or 50 total. I'd like some springs or coilovers to drop it on, and of course some new wheels to go along with that.

My first "mod" might just be a simple tint job. Thinking 15% like I had on the Prelude. Still trying to decide about debadging.

What exactly are you guys looking to do with an FRS?
It is going to be exciting to see how the performance aftermarket develops for these over the next year. 40-50 sounds very possible based on some posts I have been reading here.

We will be developing cooling products for the FRS/BRZ, it would be great to have an automatic model if we need one for test fitting.

If your not interested it's no sweat.

Keep us updated on your progress, interested to see some more of these with suspension modifications.

Have a great day
-Mishimoto
Old 06-18-2012, 09:12 PM   #10
tdoggy57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishimoto View Post
It is going to be exciting to see how the performance aftermarket develops for these over the next year. 40-50 sounds very possible based on some posts I have been reading here.

We will be developing cooling products for the FRS/BRZ, it would be great to have an automatic model if we need one for test fitting.

If your not interested it's no sweat.

Keep us updated on your progress, interested to see some more of these with suspension modifications.

Have a great day
-Mishimoto
Where exactly in Wilmington are you guys located? If it's not in the city I'd be willing to come by. I hate driving in the city with a passion, though.
The Following User Says Thank You to tdoggy57 For This Useful Post:
ScionFamily (01-13-2013)
Old 06-19-2012, 05:22 PM   #11
tdoggy57

OK, so my first "mod" is officially in the books...

20% tint all around. Love it so far, but can't wait till I can roll down the windows again. This just gives me an excuse to take the slightly longer route to work so I don't need to swipe my badge to open the gates

Yesterday I also picked up some supplies to start me off detailing. I want to keep her looking good!

Old 06-23-2012, 11:08 AM   #12
tdoggy57

To Toyota rebadge or not? I can't decide, the steering wheel would kind of bug me though.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:55 AM   #13
Mishimoto

Tint looks great!
You also have a PM sir.

Have a great day
-Mishimoto
The Following User Says Thank You to Mishimoto For This Useful Post:
tdoggy57 (06-28-2012)
Old 06-27-2012, 04:07 PM   #14
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Nothing from Armorall in there, good! Meguiars and Mothers for the win!

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Turbowned For This Useful Post:
tdoggy57 (06-27-2012)