follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 04-06-2013, 04:15 PM   #1
geb2391

Drives: Subaru CBS BRZ Limited Auto
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Amazing Wax

Cleaned the BRZ then used some wax I thought I would never use. Wax that cost $95.00, before any comments, I have heard them all from my wife. I had been researching wax off and on for some time since I got the CBS BRZ and kept coming up with the best wax being Pinnacle Souveran Carnauba Paste Wax but the price kept scaring me off. Anyway I went ahead and did it in spite of the wife telling me that you can only shine a car so much and the cost.
I have never used anything like it in my life. It went on without effort and comes off even easier. I had to abandon all past practice of buffing and buffing to get the shine. A few wipes and it shines like nothing I have ever seen. The main reason I can see is the fact there is ZERO hazing, it is as clear as can be and clearly shines the plastic better than anything I have ever used.
Now if it lasts on the car as they say I will have no remorse in spending the money.
If you’re as anal as I am about your car its well worth it.
geb2391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:27 PM   #2
nzer

Drives: 2012 Grey TRD GT86, 2015 VW Golf R
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Just googled it. Gets rave reviews from users so might try it one day. Using Adam's buttery wax for the time being and it is the easiest wax I've found to apply and buff off.

This Pinnacle stuff might be even easier.

Old 04-06-2013, 04:39 PM   #3
DBacon1052

Drives: Argento FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
DBacon1052 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DBacon1052 For This Useful Post:
JDMenrique (04-06-2013), Mnoland9 (04-06-2013), muffinman (04-07-2013)
Old 04-06-2013, 06:55 PM   #4
Captain_Awesome_Pants

Drives: FR-S: Firestorm
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I've used it for years and absolutely love it.
Captain_Awesome_Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:51 PM   #5
geb2391

Drives: Subaru CBS BRZ Limited Auto
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBacon1052 View Post

Took a couple in the garage it was starting to rain and snow outside
Attached Images

Last edited by geb2391; 04-06-2013 at 10:19 PM.
geb2391 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geb2391 For This Useful Post:
DBacon1052 (04-06-2013), russv (04-10-2013)
Old 04-06-2013, 10:52 PM   #6
Clembo
'Senior' Junior Member

Drives: 13 FR-S,08 Mustang Bullitt,06 MX-5
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Old-fashioned Carnauba Wax Fan Here...

I've also used it for years, so long in fact that the last two jars I bought were back when they were only $45! And I'm still using one of those today because it takes so little each time.

Try layering it - I have about 10 layers on my Mustang and the depth is unreal. At shows most people can't believe it's factory paint. Best to wait a day or two between layers to let the top-most layer harden a bit. Some carnauba waxes will yellow or haze if too many layers are applied. I have yet to see any yellowing or hazing with Pinnacle.

But like most carnauba waxes, it doesn't hold up real well to the elements. I find myself re-applying often if I'm driving my cars in crappy weather or leaving them out in the rain. If you want the best overall protection, strip the wax, polish and use a polymer sealant first then layer on the Pinnacle. That way you get the best of both worlds.

BTW, photos are in my albums of my cars. All are done with Pinnacle. But the FR-S only had one layer when I shot the pictures. It looks a lot better today!

"You'll never know if you don't try" - Shinroko Momose
Clembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:50 AM   #7
m.wood0213
Driving Enthusiast

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Im very tempted to get this stuff now. I have the Pinnacle spray wax and its extremely easy to apply and wipe off.
“This isn’t a supercar, it’s a sports car. It sacrifices rear seats yes but it just feels alive. Pure, direct, immediate. The other two are going to get all the admiring looks yes, that’s my point. I’m not driving around in this for other people’s benefit. I’m driving around in this BECAUSE I LOVE DRIVING IT. END!”
-Richard Hammond, Top Gear, USA Supercar Road Trip, 2011 Porsche GT3 RS.
My BRZ
m.wood0213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:51 AM   #8
nzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clembo View Post
I've also used it for years, so long in fact that the last two jars I bought were back when they were only $45! And I'm still using one of those today because it takes so little each time.

Try layering it - I have about 10 layers on my Mustang and the depth is unreal. At shows most people can't believe it's factory paint. Best to wait a day or two between layers to let the top-most layer harden a bit. Some carnauba waxes will yellow or haze if too many layers are applied. I have yet to see any yellowing or hazing with Pinnacle.

But like most carnauba waxes, it doesn't hold up real well to the elements. I find myself re-applying often if I'm driving my cars in crappy weather or leaving them out in the rain. If you want the best overall protection, strip the wax, polish and use a polymer sealant first then layer on the Pinnacle. That way you get the best of both worlds.

BTW, photos are in my albums of my cars. All are done with Pinnacle. But the FR-S only had one layer when I shot the pictures. It looks a lot better today!
Thanks for the tips. What do you suggest to strip the wax already on and what polymer sealant?

Thanks!

Old 04-07-2013, 10:10 PM   #9
Greg Nichols
Paint Correction Guru

Drives: F150 Platinum
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
The issue with layering is that you don't really get multi layers on the car, the solvents in the "wax" will remove some of the wax on the car when you apply more on top. yes even if you wait a day or more.

Souveran Carnauba Paste wax is a great looking wax, but its durability is not the greatest IMO/IME. If you like waxing your car every few weeks you will love it. In the summers of Idaho you will find it gassing off when the surface temp of your cars paint exceeds 115f. Since it appears you have a black car, paint temps will easily get that hot.

This is nice wax for its looks dont get me wrong! A nice contender for looks but durability is SO much better is 3D Poxy. its a sealant that has a much higher off gassing temp, will withstand stronger cleanings needed to remove bug guts, and super easy to apply.

NZER: to strip the paint clean before you apply a wax or sealant, often called LSP (last step process) I would mix up a 1:4 ratio of APC and spray it on the car, allow it to dwell (not dry) on the paint, rinse and look to see how the water behaves, if its flat beads or a large sheet of water on the horziontal panel it mostly gone, give it a nice strong soapy wash, and dry the car. This process should kill the beading, remove waxes, and leave a nice clean surface to apply your LSP.

cheers,
GREG
Ask a pro blog writer for detailed image
duPont Registry approved detailer
Greg Nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greg Nichols For This Useful Post:
Guff (04-10-2013), nzer (04-07-2013)
Old 04-07-2013, 10:16 PM   #10
nzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
The issue with layering is that you don't really get multi layers on the car, the solvents in the "wax" will remove some of the wax on the car when you apply more on top. yes even if you wait a day or more.

Souveran Carnauba Paste wax is a great looking wax, but its durability is not the greatest IMO/IME. If you like waxing your car every few weeks you will love it. In the summers of Idaho you will find it gassing off when the surface temp of your cars paint exceeds 115f. Since it appears you have a black car, paint temps will easily get that hot.

This is nice wax for its looks dont get me wrong! A nice contender for looks but durability is SO much better is 3D Poxy. its a sealant that has a much higher off gassing temp, will withstand stronger cleanings needed to remove bug guts, and super easy to apply.

NZER: to strip the paint clean before you apply a wax or sealant, often called LSP (last step process) I would mix up a 1:4 ratio of APC and spray it on the car, allow it to dwell (not dry) on the paint, rinse and look to see how the water behaves, if its flat beads or a large sheet of water on the horziontal panel it mostly gone, give it a nice strong soapy wash, and dry the car. This process should kill the beading, remove waxes, and leave a nice clean surface to apply your LSP.

cheers,
GREG
Thanks heaps!

I actually have Gardx paint protection and wax over the top. Will the APC solution leave the paint protection on? And, sorry, what is APC - I googled it but couldn't find it.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:23 PM   #11
Greg Nichols
Paint Correction Guru

Drives: F150 Platinum
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
you need the secret decoder password of detailing at times as we use a whole other lang at times.

APC is all purpose cleaner. Most detailing companies make a version of it. Household cleaners are not the same.

I'm not familar with Gardx, its likely an aftermarket paint selant. Most of these "selants" are whimpy so its likely APC will take it off, or reduce its abilities. If you just do a nice strong wash and then apply your LSP of choice you should be fine.

Cheers,
GREG
Ask a pro blog writer for detailed image
duPont Registry approved detailer
Greg Nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Nichols For This Useful Post:
nzer (04-07-2013)
Old 04-07-2013, 10:38 PM   #12
nzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
you need the secret decoder password of detailing at times as we use a whole other lang at times.

APC is all purpose cleaner. Most detailing companies make a version of it. Household cleaners are not the same.

I'm not familar with Gardx, its likely an aftermarket paint selant. Most of these "selants" are whimpy so its likely APC will take it off, or reduce its abilities. If you just do a nice strong wash and then apply your LSP of choice you should be fine.

Cheers,
GREG
Thanks, now trying to find 3D Poxy or Pinnacle distributors that are based in New Zealand or will ship.

Last question for you - if you like waxing your car (I do) and therefore longevity isn't as important to me and our climate ranges from 46F to 82F (ie: no extremes of cold or hot) what would be the LSP (I'm getting the jargon!) you would recommend on my dark grey car?

I currently use Adam's buttery wax.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:55 PM   #13
Laika
When In Doubt...

Drives: Slowww
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
OP; is this your first time using any carnauba paste wax or were there others besides pinnacle?

Join the Galaxy Blue Silica BRZ registry below:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...2c&usp=sharing
Laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:10 PM   #14
Kimsey47

Drives: 2016 STI DGM
Thanked 1,460 Times in 662 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geb2391 View Post
Took a couple in the garage it was starting to rain and snow outside
Justin Beiber called, he wants his chrome car back! WOW! Nice shine and nice job OP! May be looking into this wax soon myself after seeing those pics! Thanks for sharing!