follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 12-08-2012, 10:34 PM   #1
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Replace clock with radar display?

anyone know if it would be possible to mount this radar remote display behind the plastic where the stock clock currently resides? would make for a super stealth install.

xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:15 AM   #2
rhoyle

Drives: BRZ SWP 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I've been told that the clock is part of a singular circuit board with the hazards, etc. if that's the case then it'll probably be more trouble than its worth.

Another option for a stealth install of a 9500ci or STI-R would be to put the display in the rear view mirror.... I'm considering doing that, just can't decide which detector I want... The new K40 is also nice!
rhoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:13 AM   #3
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoyle View Post
I've been told that the clock is part of a singular circuit board with the hazards, etc. if that's the case then it'll probably be more trouble than its worth.

Another option for a stealth install of a 9500ci or STI-R would be to put the display in the rear view mirror.... I'm considering doing that, just can't decide which detector I want... The new K40 is also nice!
I'm assuming i couldn't mount it behind the autodimming mirror, any way to do it behind the jdm frameless mirror?

i'm a little leery of k40 after my friends dad paid over 2 grand for one in his sl55 amg and constantly gets pulled because he gets snagged by vg2. hopefully their new stuff is better.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:47 AM   #4
rhoyle

Drives: BRZ SWP 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
You can mount the display IN the mirror. Auto dimming, stock, whatever.
rhoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:57 AM   #5
Flat Black VW

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I plan on doing my passport 9500ci display in my mirror, I have the standard mirror, auto dim should work fine, not sure about the frameless though as it appears to not have much room between the glass and the back plastic, may not be enough room to mount the display.
Flat Black VW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:01 PM   #6
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Fitting it in the autodimming mirror would be great. Anyone have a link on a howto?

Also, @Flat Black VW - Where do you plan on mounting the radar antenna for the 9500ci?
Old 12-09-2012, 09:37 PM   #7
BlueRZ

Drives: BRZ Limited M/T GBS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I installed the 9500ci a couple of weeks ago.

The display and control module is in the otherwise useless cubby next to the ignition button, at least for now. I melted a hole in the back of it for the wires.

The GPS antenna is installed on the roof behind the stock antenna.
Once you get the roof liner off (a time consuming process), the antenna was easy to remove.

I used the hole in the roof that the antenna uses by taking apart the antenna assembly and melted a hole in the back side to run the GPS wire through the assembly itself.
BlueRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:38 PM   #8
Flat Black VW

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjohnx View Post
Fitting it in the autodimming mirror would be great. Anyone have a link on a howto?

Also, @Flat Black VW - Where do you plan on mounting the radar antenna for the 9500ci?
The GPS antenna fits under the rear deck cover (where the 3rd brake light is) Ive had mine there working properly for about a month. Put one in a customers car in June and his has worked fine also.

Works fine and out of sight.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:09 PM   #9
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Black VW View Post
The GPS antenna fits under the rear deck cover (where the 3rd brake light is) Ive had mine there working properly for about a month. Put one in a customers car in June and his has worked fine also.

Works fine and out of sight.
I was referring to the radar receiver unit, sorry.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:24 PM   #10
Flat Black VW

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjohnx View Post
I was referring to the radar receiver unit, sorry.
speaker and brain are tucked under the dash above the pedals on the drivers side. May move the brain to the passenger side to reduce clutter.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:26 PM   #11
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Black VW View Post
speaker and brain are tucked under the dash above the pedals on the drivers side. May move the brain to the passenger side to reduce clutter.

Top right. That one. just anywhere in the center of the grill, or is there a place that you think would work best?
The Following User Says Thank You to xjohnx For This Useful Post:
Flat Black VW (12-10-2012)
Old 12-10-2012, 02:20 PM   #12
Flat Black VW

Gotcha, that was just put down behind the bumper plastic out of view. The radar sensor can operate through plastic however the laser jammers need to have nothing blocking them. On my BRZ I put the jammers on the underside of the mouth-guard, the FR-S we did a few months ago we actually had to trim a couple space ships out of the grill.

Heres some pictures of the FR-S:
http://hurleysautoaudio.blogspot.com...ess-entry.html

He wanted his controller out and easily usable, for mine I set it how I wanted it and ran it to the glovebox. I may be moving it to the drivers door cupholder in the future.

If anyone has any other questions about these systems feel free to ask me, I dont work for them but I do sell A LOT of these and use them in many different cars all of the time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flat Black VW For This Useful Post:
TIE Pilot (12-10-2012), xjohnx (12-10-2012)
Old 12-10-2012, 02:26 PM   #13
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

You're the man! Thanks for the quick response, so the radar unit can go behind completely behind the plastic bumper with no line of sight required? I was wondering about that. Sounds easy enough.

Any chance you could take a picture of the jammer mounting on your car?
Old 12-10-2012, 02:46 PM   #14
thejevans
Rugger Extraordinaire

Drives: 1997 Miata, R.I.P. 2013 Red FR-S
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
I have the Bel STi-R Plus. The way I have mine set up is I zip-tied the radar receiver inside the grill, put the controls in the empty tray in the center console just behind the traction/stability controls, I mounted the GPS with suction cups on the right side of the rear deck,and I put the display to the left of the head unit. I ran the wiring to the glove box and mounted the speaker above the pedals. I have not hooked up the brain yet, but I'm going to try to soon. I also have The blinder M47 laser jammers. I put the controls for this to the right of the trunk button, I mounted the rear jammer above the license plate, and I mounted two front jammers with zip ties on the outside of the grill (I have to extend the outside brackets to make them not at an angle). I have to mount the last jammer on the front plate still, I still have to hook up the brain, and the speaker will go above the pedals. I'll take pictures when I can.
thejevans is offline   Reply With Quote