follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 01-28-2012, 05:22 PM   #869
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: quicker than arghx7
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by catharsis View Post
A sports car is a car designed for driving enjoyment
Bingo. That's all it is. There's no need to put blinders on and ignore all the fun cars out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoomers View Post
Pictures from that same page shown as examples:
Not only did you include the picture of the Boxster, you even included the 90's Lotus Elan....which is front drive! Bravo to you for no longer being so discriminatory.

Last edited by Ryephile; 01-28-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Ryephile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:44 PM   #870
Dark
Elite Padawan

Drives: '15 WRX, 15 GLA250, and 2 feet
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by catharsis View Post
I don't know why people argue semantics about what "is" a sports car. A sports car is a car designed for driving enjoyment, it handles well, and accelerates acceptably quick. You have economy cars, you have minivans, you have luxury cars (they might have big brute engines but feel like boats) and you have sports cars. In this day and age they can or may not have 4 door, they only have 200hp, or they may have 500hp. They're all sports cars to me.

a low small usually 2-passenger automobile designed for quick response, easy maneuverability, and high-speed driving
Pretty much what you said here. Sportcar is divided into Sport sedan and sport coupe. Anything 2 door is a sport car is not relevant now.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:27 PM   #871
Dragonitti
Banned

Drives: Boosted Scion tC, 350z
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
That's UGLY.

An older gentleman I know owns a '67 Corvette Sting Ray (Stingrays didn't exist til '69) vert. That is a sports car. Sports cars have 2 seats and RWD; some have fixed roofs and some don't. Engine placement is debatable, though I suppose rear-midship is optimal.

This is 2012, not 1967 or 1969.
Dragonitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 07:29 PM   #872
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
This is 2012, not 1967 or 1969.
Yeah that's too bad, cars back then looked good.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 07:39 PM   #873
Dragonitti
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-FT86 View Post
Most sports cars nowadays offer to much conveniences to be considered "Pure". My definition of a sports car can be said with two cars the Elise/Exige. It doesn't have any features or backseats or any aids to save your life. It is only available with a manual and is as light as any so called sports car. Also there are other supercars with the same attributes. etc Viper/Ford GT/Koenigsegg CCX

All other sports cars is generally a GT Sports(2+2) car since they are more livable and offer some form of practicality but still offer sporty dynamics. The FRS is a small GT Sports car and the GC is a medium sized GT Sports car. They are not pure Sports cars like the above mentioned.etc 911/Rx8/GT-R

A regular GT is best described as something like a SC430/Is350c. All luxury and cushyness over sport on a long journey.

I was reading and listening up to the point you mentioned RX8 and GT-R being "pure" sports cars.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:44 PM   #874
Dragonitti
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-FT86 View Post
The GC backseat is only for people under 5''3'. It's not useable also and the GC can't haul 4 tires. The main reason in the other thread I said that was because of the engine in the 335i being much better for DD.

So it's that huge and you can't use the back seats....wow, even more of a Fail then.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:21 PM   #875
vq37

Drives: Opel Kadett
Quote:
So it's that huge and you can't use the back seats....wow, even more of a Fail then.
Not the case for 2013 GC.

"The rear seat is designed for adults, not just children. Instead of three rear seats, our engineers used the available space to make sure it's comfortable for two. The large, drop-beltline side windows give rear passengers a clear view, while large door openings and a walk-in assist feature on the driver and passenger seats, make it easier to get in and out.
"

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/vehicles/f...features2.aspx
vq37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:33 PM   #876
Dark
Elite Padawan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vq37 View Post

"The rear seat is designed for adults, not just children. Instead of three rear seats, our engineers used the available space to make sure it's comfortable for two. The large, drop-beltline side windows give rear passengers a clear view, while large door openings and a walk-in assist feature on the driver and passenger seats, make it easier to get in and out.
"

Thanks for more point to prove that GC is a GT. LOL
Old 01-28-2012, 10:12 PM   #877
vq37

Drives: Opel Kadett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
Thanks for more point to prove that GC is a GT. LOL
Indeed it's very much a GT car. Who said it was anything other than that?
It has all the features of a modern GT car, and hyundai classifies it as a GT car that is aimed at other cars (such as the G37 and 335i) which are also GT cars.
vq37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:45 PM   #878
Dark
Elite Padawan

Quote:
It has all the features of a modern GT car, and hyundai classifies it as a GT car that is aimed at other cars (such as the G37 and 335i) which are also GT cars.
Look at the previous page, you will see.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:00 AM   #879
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
I was reading and listening up to the point you mentioned RX8 and GT-R being "pure" sports cars.
You read it wrong Dragon. When I put etc. next to that one it was under GT Sports car and not Pure Sports car.

Quote:
The problem is head room. Have you ever sat in the rear seat of the GC?

Quote:

"

The rear seats can fit adults the size of children. I am 5''9' and my head was slumped over the glass

Quote:
I never said it wasn't a GT car but it isn't a real GT car either. A real GT car is about luxury and sophistication with little to no kind of sportyness. The GC is a GT Sports coupe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genesis_Coupe

Look at what class it falls under.
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:05 AM   #880
SUB-FT86
86 Member

A GT car

Grand tourers differ from standard two-seat sports cars in typically being engineered as larger and heavier, emphasizing comfort over straight-out performance or spartan accommodations. Historically, most GTs have been front-engined with rear-wheel drive, which creates more space for the cabin than mid-mounted engine layouts. Softer suspensions, greater storage, and more luxurious appointments add to their driving appeal. Some very high-performance grand tourers, such as the Aston Martin DB9, Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano, and the Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren make various compromises in the opposite direction while rivalling sports cars in speed, acceleration, and cornering ability, earning them the special designation supercars.

Examples of GT's

[edit] See also

One could argue that the FRS is a GT car also. It is larger and heavier than a Lotus Elise and offers two extra seats with more features and softer suspension than a Lotus Elise. Also in Europe it's called the Toyota GT86. Any bells ringing yet?
Old 01-29-2012, 10:30 AM   #881
SUB-FT86
86 Member

In the future all sports car will become GT's because they will make them more luxurious and practical for the consumers. Look at Lotus future cars for example and Ferrari and Lamborghini only offering DCT only on important models. The new 911(991) is luxurious inside compared to the last gen. There is going to be a differentiation of GT cars.

GT
GT Sports cars
GT supercars

I feel the GC and the FRS fall into the GT-S category but in different sizes.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:52 AM   #882
spin9k

Drives: RX-8
I was going to say. If the definition of "GT" is to be stuck to some quaint definition of 30 years ago, why even bother to discuss it? Great and all for bar room debates, but essesntially meaningless as a performance metric considering the dearth of barebones cars of any type.

That list makes me laugh
spin9k is offline   Reply With Quote