follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-29-2013, 07:15 PM   #43
4Running Daily

Drives: 1996 Toyota 4Runner
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy07 View Post
Yo bro I'm in the same boat as you I daily drive a 2004 Toyota Tacoma MT... but for me I plan on waiting until I'm 18 (16 right now) so the insurance would be lower than what it would be if i got it now. I would recommend to wait until the 2014-2015 models too...... Btw some other kid got a FRS and he's a Junior. From what I was told and saw his friends jumped at his front window completely shattered it and one of his idiot *friend* ran into his headlight on *accident*... so if you could possibly wait until HS is over that would be great! I also think he was one of the first 86 people to get it because when everybody else who got the first 86 he got it around the same time too.
Anyways the decision is yours I think you should wait for the newer models and atleast until your out of High school.
I don't know where the hell you guys who are talking about damage occurring to your car on school campuses live, but it must blow there. That sort of thing is unheard of hear.
4Running Daily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:23 PM   #44
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra_frs View Post
If you're mature and obey the laws and drive like a sane human, hell, buy whatever you like and can afford.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra_frs View Post
sane human
OP is 16

I'm sure there are many 16 year olds that are responsible and capable of driving brand new lamborati's or whatever else is "too nice" but still gotta take statistics into account.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:28 PM   #45
speedy07

Drives: 2015 Subaru Brz Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Running Daily View Post
I don't know where the hell you guys who are talking about damage occurring to your car on school campuses live, but it must blow there. That sort of thing is unheard of hear.
Well maybe it's because the guy is a idiot. He tried to race me in a AT frs and he tried to rev at me instead he jumped the line at a red light. Was funny watching him go in reverse. But anyways if you don't have idiot friends that would do that and don't mind the insurance being a little higher. Go for it! :happy0180:
speedy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:30 PM   #46
4Running Daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
OP is 16

I'm sure there are many 16 year olds that are responsible and capable of driving brand new lamborati's or whatever else is "too nice" but still gotta take statistics into account.
Let's be honest, this man is absolutely right.

I have friends that won't go above speed limit, I also have a friend that was pulled over for doing 29 over and was still accelerating when he was pulled over. I am neither of these people. However, if I had to choose a side, I would say I'm closer to the guy who drives speed limit. Sure I go over every once and a while, but I pay for my own gas. So anything above 70 and my gas mileage drops from 20 to 16 like that. If I go 62 mph I get about 22 mpg in the 4Runner, which monthly saves me about $10. Which is alot to someone who only makes $15 an hour. Acceleration= crappy gas mileage.

I'm not the guy you see in an empty parking doing J-turns and drifting. I'm the guy driving on a curvy mountain road at a safe speed while still having a little fun.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:34 PM   #47
hanabie

Drives: WRB LMTD '13
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
if your parents are ready to burn the money for you, I don't see any reason to decline the offer.

Money is not an issue here. I'm assuming safety is. No problemo! It seems you could handle your truck pretty well, even on the huge rocks! LOL

Your parents must have too much monies to burn. They are just ready to get sued hard if something happens to you. But, I'm assuming this is covered by insurance. No?
hanabie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:34 PM   #48
corry29

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Nope! too young. your perspectives will change in the future.

When I was your age, I wanted to get a 240SX. I wanted to do a SR swap, S15 front end conversion and find the most aggressive looking body kit all around with the most lines (From the Import Tuner magazines). I wanted to switch out everything that's black on the car into carbon fiber. I wanted to lower it and get the biggest Titanium exhaust ever! I also wanted all the unnecessary blue LED lights to light up at night to make my car look like its glowing! I wanted to do all that to my 240SX when I was your age back in 2006-7?

I never got a 240SX until 2010. Thank GOD I did not get one when I was high school, or else it would of been that big mess that I described above and all that money would of been wasted! Now, I just want a simple, original, pure 240SX free of body kits and no conversions whatsoever! And that's exactly what I have right now!

tl;dr. Nope. You still young and dangerous. Wait till you get a little older and your mind is clear.
corry29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:37 PM   #49
Tromatic
Banned

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 1,728 Times in 786 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Get the fucking car. Drive responsibly. Have fun. If you need to go nuts, go to the track.
Tromatic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tromatic For This Useful Post:
speedy07 (05-29-2013), ultra_frs (05-29-2013)
Old 05-29-2013, 07:38 PM   #50
4Running Daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tromatic View Post
Get the fucking car. Drive responsibly. Have fun. If you need to go nuts, go to the track.
I like this guy.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:42 PM   #51
ultra_frs

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S manual ultramarine
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I just noticed where you live. It's not like you need to worry about snow, or even rain for that matter. Looks like precipitation is minimal there. What @Tromatic said
ultra_frs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:47 PM   #52
jlu

Drives: Asphalt AT FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Just from your posts alone, you seem like you have a decent head on your shoulders. I'd be more worried about what other people would do.

There's a picture floating around the Internet from my high school of a Chevy Suburban literally resting on two other cars... some girl got pissed at her boyfriend (lol high school), peeled out of the parking lot, hit a trash can or jumped a curb or something, somehow ended up on the smashed roofs of two poor cars.
jlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:03 AM   #53
4Running Daily

Thanks guys! I went ahead and got an insurance quote, thanks to my great grades and a couple other things, it's not nearly as bad as I thought. Only a little bit more then my 4Runner is now.

It all comes down to the car. I'm going on a test driving adventure on Friday and I will report back.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:33 AM   #54
Gaiakai

Drives: '21 Civic Type R
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I'd say it's perfect - hey at least you're not looking at getting an E46 M3 lol

I think the Miata would be a good first car, and I see the FRS as a Miata/S2000 with a fixed roof and backseats. So here's why I think the Miata/FRS would be good first cars:

- It's not fast
- The performance of the FRS is very much focused on the car being lightweight. If you decide to bring friends with you who would say "let's see what this thing can do", you won't really be able to show off because of all the extra weight from having your friends in the car
- It's a lightweight, RWD, small, nimble sports car - learning to drive this thing properly will make you a better driver.
- It's a modern car meeting the most current safety standards; which means that if you do get into an accident (as people apparently think is inevitable), you would be better protected than say getting into a nasty accident in a $1,000 car from the 90's that will crumple like a coke can and probably kill you.

So good luck, and I do honestly hope you drive responsibly so our insurance rates don't skyrocket
Old 05-30-2013, 01:37 AM   #55
kroarke

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'm 23. I still think I'm pretty young to own one. However. As long as you understand and repect that a car is an expensive, complicated and potentially dangerous piece of machinery then by all means. Get it and enjoy. One rule I always follow is that the traction control is always on when on public roads. That type of innovation is meant to save your life. not having it on is like not wearing a seatbelt.
kroarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:39 AM   #56
Enraged21
#RememberTheBuster

Drives: Firestorm FRS MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkAsphalt View Post
Well you won't have sex in it...so your parents will approve
It's doable
Enraged21 is offline   Reply With Quote