follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 10-20-2014, 10:35 AM   #1
brze86

Drives: wrb brz mt
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
BRZ to Subaru STI impressions so far

Traded my 13 BRZ for a 15 STI. My impressions so far are as follows. First and foremost you don't get that connected extension of you feeling that the twins give you. The STI feels like your riding a prize thoroughbred horse. It will do what you want it to with authority and power that overwhelms you at times. The BRZ on the other hand feels like a smaller quarter horse would feel, not as powerful but just as capable while more responsive and maneuverable. The STI has gotten a bad reputation for noise and harshness on several reviews. Some reviewers have stated that the interior noise is comparable to a steel mill or jack hammer at full tilt. Not true. They've also said that as a commuter car the STI is very impracticable. Also not true. I've put on close to 500 miles in one week resolving minor dealer mistakes, (wrong fuse pulled- mfr rim chip-lost rim key) in one week. This was roughly a 50 city, 50 hwy. I found The STI a litlle more comfortable overall. I'm still in the break in period so I don't know how spirited driving would compare, but the seats are definitely less gripping for average size individuals. I chose the base STI so retain the leather alcantera mix after really falling in love with that mixture. While not ideal in either noise or harshness, the twins, STI, or any real sports car (sedan) never is ideal. When you compromise or favor one aspect to much you take away the very thing that makes up a segment. People that really enjoy sports cars expect and enjoy the engine and road talking to them and the feeling of not being isolated from the machine. True enthusiasts start off where the mfr left off and make the the car stiffer and louder and enjoy every step closer to making the car an extension of their inputs. Both the twins and the STI accomplish this, albeit in very different ways. I do miss the immediacy and the low slung feeling of the BRZ. Force vs grace would be the best quick synopsis of the two. Time well tell if I can get back some of that extension of you feeling. At least now I'm getting nods and waves from other Subie owners.

Last edited by brze86; 10-20-2014 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Grammar
brze86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to brze86 For This Useful Post:
bedabi (10-20-2014), Giccin (10-20-2014), Tcoat (10-21-2014), Texas BRZ (10-20-2014)
Old 10-20-2014, 10:52 AM   #2
sluflyer06

Drives: 2014 BRZ Ltd - DGM
How stiff is the STI vs the BRZ on bumpy or imperfect roads? Is it as harsh?

I personally don't think the BRZ rides hard but its plenty over the edge for my wife who has back problems, even short rides in the BRZ can leave her in pain and sore which is not a problem in our other cars.
sluflyer06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 11:06 AM   #3
Texas BRZ
Sports Car = Anti-Drug

Drives: 2014 Honda CBR600RR
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Thank you for sharing. Seems like you miss the BRZ a bit already, no?

I saw a '15 base level red STI when I was deciding on the BRZ, and it looked pretty sharp. Although, the response / feel of our car is what made me firm up my decision, as you pointed out as well. I haven't test driven the new STI, but just by sitting in and comparing, I got a better idea for the personality of the car.

I know someone's going to ask... What made you go to the STI?

Texas BRZ
Texas BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 11:19 AM   #4
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I like the new STI's. Supposed to be a much better handling car than the older ones (I used to have an STI hatch). Congrats and good comparison writeup.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 11:38 AM   #5
brze86

deciding factors

Chicago winters and an 80 mile daily commute made me go to the STI. I felt it was the best compromise of sportiness and " f" the weather craziness of Illinois. I do miss my BRZ's sexy body lines and tossibility but the STI is proving to be just as fun in other ways, factory turbo and AWD. I just don't like seeing the '15 WRB Blue. Series. That car is very nice. I was going to build it and possibly go turbo after riding in Hawaiian's outrageously fast car at a Midwest meet. If I didn't live in the Midwest I would still be in my BRZ. I don't think I'll get the random people asking me what is that (really good looking) car you're driving. I've had Vette owners ask me what I was driving. But I can also laugh at people wanting to race me now. The ride to me is a noticeable amount more comfortable. YMMV. I've been in sports cars my whole life so maybe I'm immune. I drive my wife's Honda Pilot I feel like I'm in a military Hovercraft. A lot of other people's comparison basis are dead parade float vehicles that we would find horrid. I don't think that we would ever be happy with a middle ground ride comfort vehicle that our spouses found acceptable.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brze86 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (10-21-2014), Texas BRZ (10-20-2014)
Old 10-20-2014, 11:48 AM   #6
Texas BRZ
Sports Car = Anti-Drug

Quote:
Originally Posted by brze86 View Post
Chicago winters and an 80 mile daily commute made me go to the STI. I felt it was the best compromise of sportiness and " f" the weather craziness of Illinois. I do miss my BRZ's sexy body lines and tossibility but the STI is proving to be just as fun in other ways, factory turbo and AWD. I just don't like seeing the '15 WRB Blue. Series. That car is very nice. I was going to build it and possibly go turbo after riding in Hawaiian's outrageously fast car at a Midwest meet. If I didn't live in the Midwest I would still be in my BRZ. I don't think I'll get the random people asking me what is that (really good looking) car you're driving. I've had Vette owners ask me what I was driving. But I can also laugh at people wanting to race me now. The ride to me is a noticeable amount more comfortable. YMMV. I've been in sports cars my whole life so maybe I'm immune. I drive my wife's Honda Pilot I feel like I'm in a military Hovercraft. A lot of other people's comparison basis are dead parade float vehicles that we would find horrid. I don't think that we would ever be happy with a middle ground ride comfort vehicle that our spouses found acceptable.
I can completely understand. My wife has a '13 4Runner, and boy do I dislike driving it... Massive body roll, so chunky, brake dive like crazy, etc. Nice and strong vehicle otherwise. Can't wait to get into the BRZ though.

Congrats on the STI. It should turn out to be a more versatile performance vehicle with the extra power and AWD traction to back it up as well.

Texas BRZ

Last edited by Texas BRZ; 10-20-2014 at 12:05 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:58 AM   #7
brze86

daughters diametric views

Exactly. At least now one of my kids (girls) likes my car. She always said that she felt like she was getting into a coffin and felt claustrophobic. She likes the new STI based solely on interior roominess. My other daughter said I made a mistake based solely on looks. She was in love with the looks of my WRB BRZ. I think she was projecting into the foreseeable future and the chances of her inheriting it when I would eventually get a new car. She also said that you have to pay a price for Beauty and looking that good. Funny but true.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:02 PM   #8
brze86

Texas

I just sold my mint condition Greddy GTS Ver2 limited edition exhaust to a twin owner in Texas. He should be receiving it Wednesday. Hopefully he gets it in the pristine condition I sent it in.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:24 PM   #9
Texas BRZ
Sports Car = Anti-Drug

Quote:
Exactly. At least now one of my kids (girls) likes my car. She always said that she felt like she was getting into a coffin and felt claustrophobic. She likes the new STI based solely on interior roominess. My other daughter said I made a mistake based solely on looks. She was in love with the looks of my WRB BRZ. I think she was projecting into the foreseeable future and the chances of her inheriting it when I would eventually get a new car. She also said that you have to pay a price for Beauty and looking that good. Funny but true.
I have two small girls, and I can understand that too. BRZ is a solid compromise for my infatuation over a 2 seater, and getting the needed back seats (although small, it's still a great, usable option). You're right on, the STI will no doubt be more comfortable with the additional breathing room as well.

Quote:
I just sold my mint condition Greddy GTS Ver2 limited edition exhaust to a twin owner in Texas. He should be receiving it Wednesday. Hopefully he gets it in the pristine condition I sent it in.
Hopefully it will... Cheers to the fellow Texan.

Texas BRZ
Old 10-20-2014, 04:38 PM   #10
Pkush

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I'm commuting 30 miles one way every day. I'm in Chicago as well. I'll stick to the brz
Pkush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:50 PM   #11
MokSpeed
Granny Shifter

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Thanked 1,289 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
I'm still shocked the WRX got the FA20DIT and the STi did not.
MokSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:39 AM   #12
Sideways&Smiling

Drives: AP2 S2000, S14 240sx
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MokSpeed View Post
I'm still shocked the WRX got the FA20DIT and the STi did not.
It probably will next year or the year after.
Sideways&Smiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:51 AM   #13
53Driver
T64-416Ax3=13,140shp

Drives: 2002 AP1 and 2015 F-150 EB (DD)
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways&Smiling View Post
It probably will next year or the year after.
And then the second gen BRZ?
53Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:55 AM   #14
BRZZZZZZZZZZ
Car Nut

Drives: BMW 335d, Toyota Echo RS, FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Nice writeup. I am waiting for the mid model refresh and then I may sell both my BRZ and WRX and consolidate to a STi.
BRZZZZZZZZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote