follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 06-03-2012, 03:08 PM   #113
Stevieray

Drives: 2013 MT Asphalt Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Consumer Reports FR-S

The FR-S must be fun, just watch the reviewer in the video having a blast. http://news.consumerreports.org/cars...the-track.html
Stevieray is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stevieray For This Useful Post:
M&M_Hwy9 (06-03-2012), ydooby (06-11-2012)
Old 06-05-2012, 01:22 PM   #114
FT86Katsu

Drives: Mitsubishi Evolution 1 GSR
Well I didn't get the chance to test drive as they didn't have a MT, but I sat in it and my god are the seats comfy!! By far my fav part so far! Everything in the interior is great also! Can't wait to test drive..!
FT86Katsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:25 PM   #115
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,907 Times in 11,362 Posts
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
AutoWeek 7 Performance Cars under $30,000

Nice video comparing 7 cars under $30,000

Starts at 1:45 although some interesting stuff at the beginning on the Ferrari auction to support Italian Hurricane Victims and some info on the Fit EV ratings.

It's mostly a fluff piece for their upcoming cover story but it includes the BRZ.
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:02 PM   #116
ydooby

Drives: Toyota MR2 Supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Nice video comparing 7 cars under $30,000

Starts at 1:45 although some interesting stuff at the beginning on the Ferrari auction to support Italian Hurricane Victims and some info on the Fit EV ratings.

It's mostly a fluff piece for their upcoming cover story but it includes the BRZ.
And it's the AT version of the BRZ that wins! Just to prove that you don't need MT to have fun.
ydooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:40 PM   #117
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,907 Times in 11,362 Posts
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydooby View Post
And it's the AT version of the BRZ that wins! Just to prove that you don't need MT to have fun.

Completely missed it was the AT!
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:17 AM   #118
AshWilliams
Groovy

Drives: GMC Sierra
Drove one, an AT FR-S with about 5000 dollars' worth of non-negotiable ADM. The dealer laughed at me when I told him about the "pure price." I told him that I'll wait for the price to go down, he said that the car is a "limited run" and that I'd better just pay ADM and get one of the few limited editions before they're gone... FOREVER!

Yet we got to talking and after mentioning I had a competition license, he did move the car out of the showroom and gave me the keys as long as he could ride along and I wouldn't get it too close to the rev limiter or bounce it off a curb.

Acceleration: Small light car. It won't bury your head in the headrest, but at the same time it won't disappoint (as long as you reset your expectations and realize this isn't a muscle car). The gear ratios seem a bit far apart and the car doesn't seem to want to hang out in its power range with the AT.

Handling: Low center of mass, light weight, good suspension, grippy tires. In a word, great. Didn't get to push it to the limit, so can't give a final word on this. But at spirited, street legal speeds and behavior it's on rails. Handling behavior is neutral... ish. I get a feeling of understeer.

Comfort: Stock suspension and tires do great on the shitty Florida roads. Definitely would make a great DD. I'm 6'3'' and the car is a great fit and not cramped at all like some older Subarus and smaller Toyotas. You sit on the floor like a race car.

Quality: Shitty Subaru rattles. On a new car. Shitty Subaru interior that looks awesome in a dimly lit dealership and washes out in the bright Florida sun.

Do I want one? Yes. But I don't think the AT would be adequate unless they do something about the gearing or re-train the shift points.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:28 PM   #119
Tman08

Drives: DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I managed to finally drive one of these cars. Most if not all in my area are either not available to test drive, or not available at all.

I am looking for a BRZ, but came across an FR-S to drive (virtually the same mechanically, as we all know). The car definitely left me with a big smile on my face and cemented my decision to buy one next Spring. The only one available to drive was the AT, however it still provided a lot of fun. The paddle shifts were a fun addition to the AT, but took some getting use to.

I come from non sports cars (only a somewhat sporty 2011 TC), so I cant really criticize or comment on the technical details (like the gear spacing). With that said, the only real complaint or thought in the back of my mind is the lack of practicality over my TC. But really, as a car that is meant to be driven and enjoyed, it definitely delivered for me.
Tman08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
86 review, 86 reviews, brz forum, brz forums, brz review, brz reviews, brz test drive review, brz test drive reviews, brz top gear, brz top gear review, brz us spec, fr-s review, fr-s reviews, frs review, frs reviews, scion fr-s review, scion fr-s reviews, scion frs review, scion frs reviews, subaru brz forum, subaru brz forums, subaru brz review, subaru brz reviews, subaru brz top gear, top gear brz, top gear brz review, top gear subaru brz, toyota 86 review, toyota 86 reviews, us spec brz, us spec subaru brz