follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 11-24-2013, 12:49 PM   #29
husker741
Banned

Drives: 2013 Whiteout Scion FR-S 6MT
Thanked 4,183 Times in 1,415 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
They think they know what us Americans really want. All we want is more fucking power, not a stupid soft-top convertible. READ THE DAMN FORUMS!
husker741 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to husker741 For This Useful Post:
amram (11-25-2013), Braces (11-25-2013), Bristecom (11-30-2013)
Old 11-24-2013, 12:57 PM   #30
Joeprelude

Drives: 2013 FRS, 2002 WRX Wagon
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I wonder if Toyota is wanting to get into the convertible market again due to the 2015 Alfa Romeo Spyder/Mazda Miata twins or the Honda S1500 concept....

Sent from my 2013 Toyota Scion FR-S using Tapatalk 2
Joeprelude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joeprelude For This Useful Post:
Grateful Dave (11-25-2013)
Old 11-24-2013, 01:02 PM   #31
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Drives: Supra
Thanked 2,181 Times in 964 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
^Don't you meant S660 concept.

vh_supra26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 01:36 PM   #32
Joeprelude

Drives: 2013 FRS, 2002 WRX Wagon
Garage
Guess they scrapped the s1500... S660 appears to be a MR Kei car, with a 660cc engine....interesting

Sent from my 2013 Toyota Scion FR-S using Tapatalk 2

(this was the s1500 rendering)
Attached Images

Joeprelude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 01:54 PM   #33
Nothing

Drives: FRS
I've got a good feeling that Nissan and Honda will put out a better car than the FT86. It will have better power, fewer issues that are ignored, easier motor to maintain and mod and handle just as well. One of them will be turbo from the factory too. Might have a smaller displacement motor (which will suck).
Old 11-24-2013, 05:40 PM   #34
Grateful Dave
2nd 86 member

Drives: 2013 Asphalt AT FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deslock View Post
Shortening the wheelbase would help reduce weight in an open-top version, but by removing the rear seats, you'd essentially be left with a slightly portlier Miata. Why bother?
Because you still like the body shape, the platform, suspension, and the motor? You don't have to throw the baby out with the bath water. There is talk of a sedan. I don't want either. I just want new tires, suspension and a TRD Supercharger for my FRS. I know I'll be waiting awhile for the TRD Supercharger.
Grateful Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 05:59 PM   #35
White64Goat

Drives: 13 BRZ CBS LTD MT, 02 WRX
Thanked 1,111 Times in 627 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grateful Dave View Post
Toyota and Subaru have had their disagreements before (rear wheel drive Toyota vs all wheel drive Subaru) which stopped production for so many months. Subaru had to be shown the nice things about rear wheel for this car from Toyota. Then Subaru agreed and went forward. The same thing will happen here. They should take the back seats out and make it a two seater. They can modify the frame structure and add a flat roll bar behind the seats for safety. It might add some weight but it can be done.
Ding, ding, ding...............winner, my thoughts exactly. Rear seats are for insurance purposes only. (240SX)
White64Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 06:10 PM   #36
tacoss23

Drives: '08 328i, '13 Accord Sport, '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grateful Dave View Post
Toyota and Subaru have had their disagreements before (rear wheel drive Toyota vs all wheel drive Subaru) which stopped production for so many months. Subaru had to be shown the nice things about rear wheel for this car from Toyota. Then Subaru agreed and went forward. The same thing will happen here. They should take the back seats out and make it a two seater. They can modify the frame structure and add a flat roll bar behind the seats for safety. It might add some weight but it can be done.
It's not as simple as that, if you are an engineer, or worked in anything requiring a great deal of engineering you would understand. These cars need to pass safety standards, performance standards, structure rigidity, etc.

It wouldn't surprise me if Toyota is the one pushing this stupidity in order to make their beloved volume sales go up, and Subaru probably won't go with it since it will compromise the engineering of the car.

I hope this doesn't happen, because it could mean the end of the relationship for the GT-86 and we could all call it good bye if it's left up to Toyota to come up with something remotely good.

Remember one thing:

Everything that makes this car good it's thanks to Subaru engineering, not Toyota.

It irks me every time I see Toyota getting credit for this car. Everything you love about this car is Subaru engineering, everything not important like the style and the horrid interior is Toyota.

Oh and let's not forget, that the single biggest mechanical flaw of this car comes thanks to the only part that Toyota had to do with, which is the fuel pump.

So no, let's hope Toyota is not allowed to get away wit this stupid idea and piss off Subaru, otherwise the ones that will be left without any car will be us....

unless you are counting in a minivan, camry maker with unquenchable thirst for profits to come up with the second generation of our cars.
tacoss23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:01 PM   #37
kuhlka

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited AT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing View Post
I've got a good feeling that Nissan and Honda will put out a better car than the FT86. It will have better power, fewer issues that are ignored, easier motor to maintain and mod and handle just as well. One of them will be turbo from the factory too. Might have a smaller displacement motor (which will suck).
Turbo on a Honda in the USA? LOL. They don't even let the Type-R into the states.

Nissan? They've already got the 370Z Roadster. Is that better? That's up for debate. Has anyone dumped $15,000 into their 86 to compare $-to-$?
kuhlka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:33 PM   #38
Grateful Dave
2nd 86 member

Drives: 2013 Asphalt AT FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoss23 View Post
It's not as simple as that, if you are an engineer, or worked in anything requiring a great deal of engineering you would understand. These cars need to pass safety standards, performance standards, structure rigidity, etc.

It wouldn't surprise me if Toyota is the one pushing this stupidity in order to make their beloved volume sales go up, and Subaru probably won't go with it since it will compromise the engineering of the car.

I hope this doesn't happen, because it could mean the end of the relationship for the GT-86 and we could all call it good bye if it's left up to Toyota to come up with something remotely good.

Remember one thing:

Everything that makes this car good it's thanks to Subaru engineering, not Toyota.

It irks me every time I see Toyota getting credit for this car. Everything you love about this car is Subaru engineering, everything not important like the style and the horrid interior is Toyota.

Oh and let's not forget, that the single biggest mechanical flaw of this car comes thanks to the only part that Toyota had to do with, which is the fuel pump.

So no, let's hope Toyota is not allowed to get away wit this stupid idea and piss off Subaru, otherwise the ones that will be left without any car will be us....

unless you are counting in a minivan, camry maker with unquenchable thirst for profits to come up with the second generation of our cars.
I hear you, but it still can be done. It's not worlds first convertible. Don't cry about it, just make it happen. They have the minds, the tools and the materials to make it happen.

Yeah it's a sales thing. the ladies are going to love it.

The way I understand it, Toyota shape, concept and 86 motor specs, Lexus/Toyota fuel injection, transmission, drive train and differential. Of course the lovely interior we all love. Cheap interior materials, not crazy about cheazy center console lay out. Ugly knobs and a stereo that sounds terrible. I've seen better quality interiors in econo cars.
Subaru boxer motor, suspension and Toyota Subaru chassis. Made in the Subaru Guma plant. They did use cheap fasteners to attach the fenders, nose/bumper and rear bumper/spoiler.

I thought the fuel pump was a previous a Subaru pump. I also heard that it was a common thing for Subarus to have the crickets. I've got crickets and plastic bottle sounds coming from trunk. I tried silicone spray from a link. They haven't corrected for the crickets, so I haven't taken it in to have fix. So I have noises that are Subaru originated. I just live with them. I wish I could catch those crickets and use them for German Brown Trout bait.

I still like my FRS even with all it's flaws. I don't want a convertible but I think it will extend help extend the life of the car design with more sales overall.
Grateful Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:40 PM   #39
reni
Nobody beats the B[I|R]Z

Drives: shopping cart i stole from walmart
Thanked 1,145 Times in 456 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I think people are mistaken if they are assuming that this forum is a representative sample of the buying public. It's not. An open 86 would sell, even if it's not popular here. And that's a good thing, because the increased revenue would make it easier for Toyota to justify future versions and upgrades.
reni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to reni For This Useful Post:
Braces (11-25-2013), Grateful Dave (11-25-2013), RWD_only (11-28-2013)
Old 11-24-2013, 09:20 PM   #40
OICU812
Just a dude

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Thanked 1,188 Times in 852 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

Remember one thing:

If Tada San hadn't had the vision this car wouldn't exist. Style not important? Sorry if it looked like anything Subaru makes now or has ever made it wouldn't likely be selling in half numbers so that's your opinion I feel as I think the car looks great. Interior..it's a sub 30k sports car frankly I like it, it's simple and well laid out.

Each to their own but I do get amused by the Subaru vs Toyota stuff cause if Subaru had not made the deadline to get involved, car still would have existed just would have had a different engine etc,,nothing much more. I think Subbie fans should be happy finally got a curvy attractive car in the Subie lineup. That said I love the BRZ equal to FRS so let's not be mistaken.. What the final product was and is was both Toyota and Subaru good and bad aspects. For the cost I think everyone wins IMO but fact is fact it wouldn't exist without Toyota period...
Old 11-24-2013, 10:08 PM   #41
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Quote:

Remember one thing:

If Subaru had their way, this car would not exist.
Or it would be AWD.

Just saying.
daiheadjai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to daiheadjai For This Useful Post:
Grateful Dave (11-25-2013), RWD_only (11-28-2013), Tye300 (11-25-2013)
Old 11-25-2013, 02:59 AM   #42
nonicname returns

Drives: 4 wheels
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
instead of wasting the time trying to make a convertible how about making it fast.
nonicname returns is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nonicname returns For This Useful Post:
Grateful Dave (11-25-2013)