follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 03-08-2024, 04:17 AM   #15
alex87f
Meow

Drives: GT86, Volvo 996
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen W. View Post
Alex, “reasonable price” from your point of view given what these bring in the EU. But for me, retired and living on a fixed income I am forced to sell/give away all my other toys.
I’m no stranger to high speeds and unexpected happenings on road and track. My first car at 19 was 425 h.p. 427. I’ve also had big horse power small block V8’s and light nimble sports car like a 1973 Lotus Europa.
No, not a daily driver. As I said earlier in this thread; This is going to be my fun in the sun, old man at cars-n-coffee, enjoy the back roads, weekend machine. It’ll be stored during the winter months.

Yup, around here 30k€ seems to be the base price for any of these, let alone a 2.0L clean one. They do hold their value well, so they're not that expensive to own. Cost per mile is high though..

I was kidding re: the DD question
alex87f is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to alex87f For This Useful Post:
Stephen W. (03-08-2024)
Old 03-27-2024, 02:39 PM   #16
Stephen W.

Drives: 1993 Caterham HPC Evo
Thanked 2,448 Times in 964 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Well, it’s almost done and dusted. The car was picked up in Utah last Monday 18th. It cleared customs and entered Canada Thursday 21st but then, didn’t reach the shop that is doing the safety inspection until the morning of Tuesday 26th. Seven weeks since I won the auction. (And no, the symbolic nature of these synchronistic events, that being waiting seven weeks to get my Super Seven in my seventieth year is not lost on me.) I was hoping they would get everything done by Thursday so I could get the ownership and plates switched before the long weekend.
However, the car failed its safety for a couple of minor items. The brake lights are not working and turn signals are intermittent. The mechanic also found a host of niggly problems. Leaking oil pan, two leaks in the rad and the car needs a new cam belt. Plus, I gave him a list of things he still has to address like the temp gauge and a clicking sound we could hear when the car was just idling. I also found the clutch pedal is ridiculously hard to operate. These are all things I expected from a car that has sat for a long period of time.
Another frustrating item of note, the tires the wife ordered haven’t shown up yet. The investigation revealed they only shipped four instead of the five tires. Two hours of waiting on the phone, sending emails and leaving voice messages got us a “we’re sorry, we didn’t notice that you had ordered five until after the four had been sent. We will be shipping you the fifth tire shortly.” Oh well, everything should be done by next week.
It’s like I always say: Excrement doth occur!
(The red car is a RHD 1.6 Sigma that was brought in from the UK last year. He was having a few things done in preparation for driving season.)
Attached Images

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stephen W. For This Useful Post:
bcj (03-28-2024), Dadhawk (03-27-2024), JD001 (04-14-2024), NoHaveMSG (04-05-2024), wbradley (03-28-2024)
Old 03-28-2024, 03:49 PM   #17
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
@Stephen W

Incredible!

Spent the better part of last week in Scottsdale with my sister and brother in law. He has some nice cars, and he actually picked me up at the airport in his Ferrari Portofino. Over the course of the week we also went for a cruise in his very fresh '55 Austin Healy 100M as well as the '60 Corvette LS3 restomod. Went to a crazy parking lot car meet which featured, among many vehicles, a '69 Ford F40 GT 427.

Your car would have attracted plenty of attention if it was there, I am sure. Having driven in the 100M at over 70 MPH, it feels like over 100! Probably similar with the Cat.
Take good care of that vehicle and drive safely. Also, remember you're never only the owner, you're also a curator.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wbradley For This Useful Post:
Stephen W. (03-28-2024)
Old 03-28-2024, 05:26 PM   #18
Stephen W.

My brother has gone to the Barrett-Jackson auctions in Scottsdale. He said the cars outside and at the meets are every bit as good or better than what goes across the block. America is Car Culture Mecca. Up here in the Great White North we are but a blip in comparison.
Yes I understand my role is as a custodian. I hope I do my job well. I have already tracked down the inspiration for my car. Albeit so far just a glimpse of the front end. Hopefully once Caterham have finished their move to their new location the archivist will be able to get the info on the show car also used for ads.
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stephen W. For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (04-05-2024), wbradley (03-28-2024)
Old 03-28-2024, 06:38 PM   #19
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Garage
People take their Barrett Jackson level cars to cars and coffee and parking lot meets. Why not? The climate is conducive to keeping cars well preserved as long as they are stored in air conditioned garages.
Saw an incomplete C1 Vette on Marketplace for like $60k a few weeks ago. That seemed like a way too good to be true unicorn. Maybe it was a replica.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
Old 03-28-2024, 07:54 PM   #20
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,981 Times in 2,197 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
They're building and selling C1 replicars in Utah with pretty much any of the mod cons you care to think of.
Covered pretty thoroughly on "Bitchin Rides". Same company built molds and drop it on a chassis.

Last half dozen or so of the series episodes. Eye watering prices to match.
Old 04-03-2024, 09:50 PM   #21
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Garage
This is a real 1960 full restomod with LS3 engine ~430 HP.

The suspension is all aluminum with double wishbone looking setup, totally modern. Also, aftermarket A/C. But the body is original. Has a Plexiglas window in the hood like the ZR1.
Attached Images

Stephen W. (04-03-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 11:57 PM   #22
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,243 Times in 8,611 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
So Duke, are you driving this thing yet?
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 01:33 PM   #23
Stephen W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
So Duke, are you driving this thing yet?
The short answer; Nope, not yet.
First there was the continuing saga of the tires. Three of the four missing tires showed up last Thursday. Number four (Well actually #3 of 4) was to be delivered by 1:30 pm Saturday. It was delivered just before 2:00 pm on Monday April 1st. So load up all five tires, (full size spare shipped last arrived first) and head on down to the shop.
When we get there the car is sitting outside and the pan is off it. It seems that what was left of gasket was not salvageable. It’s actually a sandwich with a gasket above and below a metal baffle plate. One is on order but who knows when it’ll get here? Other fixes included switching the pressure brake light switch to an electrical one. Surprise, replacing the flasher relay seems to have fixed the intermittent turn signals issue.
The hard starting and ruff running may be linked to all the gunk in the carbs. When they tried to start the car after it sat all night gasoline literally ran out of the two velocity stacks nearest the firewall. The mechanic pulled the tops off and cleaned out “stuff”. I noticed that the cold start levers were present but not hooked up. I was afraid that my car had those incomplete carbs where none of the holes are drilled and each has a blanking plate installed. But all that is needed is to connect the two levers together, add a cable to activate the “Cold Start Circuit” and Bob’s Your Uncle!
There are a few other niggly items to address but, if the parts come in today or tomorrow I might be able to bring it home Tuesday 9th before the rains hit again.
Attached Images

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stephen W. For This Useful Post:
alex87f (04-04-2024), bcj (04-04-2024), NoHaveMSG (04-05-2024), villainous_frx (04-14-2024), wbradley (04-04-2024)
Old 04-04-2024, 06:20 PM   #24
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Garage
It looks great, exciting!

The last tire on April 1? April fools lol.

Thank goodness for old school carburetors, legends were made with them.
Awesome car.

Looks like twin Webers.
Stephen W. (04-04-2024)
Old 04-14-2024, 02:11 PM   #25
JD001

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Thanked 6,187 Times in 3,474 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen W. View Post
Well, it’s almost done and dusted. The car was picked up in Utah last Monday 18th. It cleared customs and entered Canada Thursday 21st but then, didn’t reach the shop that is doing the safety inspection until the morning of Tuesday 26th. Seven weeks since I won the auction. (And no, the symbolic nature of these synchronistic events, that being waiting seven weeks to get my Super Seven in my seventieth year is not lost on me.) I was hoping they would get everything done by Thursday so I could get the ownership and plates switched before the long weekend.
However, the car failed its safety for a couple of minor items. The brake lights are not working and turn signals are intermittent. The mechanic also found a host of niggly problems. Leaking oil pan, two leaks in the rad and the car needs a new cam belt. Plus, I gave him a list of things he still has to address like the temp gauge and a clicking sound we could hear when the car was just idling. I also found the clutch pedal is ridiculously hard to operate. These are all things I expected from a car that has sat for a long period of time.
Another frustrating item of note, the tires the wife ordered haven’t shown up yet. The investigation revealed they only shipped four instead of the five tires. Two hours of waiting on the phone, sending emails and leaving voice messages got us a “we’re sorry, we didn’t notice that you had ordered five until after the four had been sent. We will be shipping you the fifth tire shortly.” Oh well, everything should be done by next week.
It’s like I always say: Excrement doth occur!
(The red car is a RHD 1.6 Sigma that was brought in from the UK last year. He was having a few things done in preparation for driving season.)
Excellent buy.. I went from a bike to a Caterham.. Did I miss the bike? Nope! You'll love it, great cars!! I kinda regret selling mine.. Why did I sell? Because I got tired of "geeks" geeking out each time I was out in it..

Every now and then I do find my self on the Caterham website working through a configuration.. Current dream:
Attached Images

JD001 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JD001 For This Useful Post:
Stephen W. (04-14-2024), wbradley (04-14-2024)
Old 04-18-2024, 10:14 PM   #26
Stephen W.

Brought my car home on Tuesday. Haven't got everything working quite right yet and what an ordeal getting it licensed. But it starts and runs and got me all the way home, (2 1/2 hours plus). Then the wife and I had to go for a little tour into town and back, (another hour plus). Photos of me picking up the car and it parked in our garage. Oh, special note: the Caterham jacket I'm wearing was a gift from my wife back Christmas of 1993 when I first decided to forget about a Lotus 7 and get myself a Caterham Super 7.
Attached Images

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stephen W. For This Useful Post:
bcj (04-19-2024), JD001 (04-20-2024), NoHaveMSG (04-21-2024), wbradley (04-22-2024)
Old 04-21-2024, 06:12 AM   #27
JD001

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Thanked 6,187 Times in 3,474 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Found time to go through my archived stuff... Here's my Caterham, the other shots of it in Caterham's factory..
Attached Images

JD001 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JD001 For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (04-21-2024), Stephen W. (04-21-2024), wbradley (04-22-2024)