follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 03-26-2019, 12:50 AM   #1
VOSS

Drives: --
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Noob Fitment Question

Hey guys,

First time modding a car but i want to do it right. Searching the forum didn't bring up what i needed or my searching skills are crap.

I want to run 17x9 +35 rims on 245/40/17 tires with Tein Flex Z coilovers lowered about 1.2-1.5 in.

Would there be any issues with rubbing? I've seen threads on people running stock suspension and having rubbing issues but i know aftermarket coilovers could be different. I would of course have aftermarket LCA's and camber adjustments made to compensate for the drop.

Anyone running a similar setup who can tell me if i need to make changes?

Thanks
VOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 01:46 AM   #2
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,323 Times in 7,381 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Common setup, it will fit fine. I only had rubbing issues with the stock struts and lowering springs with that tire wheel setup. I'd recommend running less drop if your car is your DD. My car is a little more than -1.5 and it is a bit too low on the street, I also rub the front fender liner under hard cornering. Your rear camber should be fine without any aftermarket LCA's and the Flex Z's will have adjustable top hats.
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NoHaveMSG For This Useful Post:
VOSS (03-30-2019)
Old 03-26-2019, 05:41 PM   #3
VOSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Common setup, it will fit fine. I only had rubbing issues with the stock struts and lowering springs with that tire wheel setup. I'd recommend running less drop if your car is your DD. My car is a little more than -1.5 and it is a bit too low on the street, I also rub the front fender liner under hard cornering. Your rear camber should be fine without any aftermarket LCA's and the Flex Z's will have adjustable top hats.
Thanks for confirming and the advice. Im planning to probably drop about 1.3 and see how it is. Just going for a nice even finish without compromising too much functionality.

In regards to the fenders, would rolling them help? As for the top hats, whats the benefit of adjustable top hats? Tried searching but didnt come up with much. It helps with shock travel?
Old 03-26-2019, 05:53 PM   #4
Vital

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOSS View Post
Thanks for confirming and the advice. Im planning to probably drop about 1.3 and see how it is. Just going for a nice even finish without compromising too much functionality.

In regards to the fenders, would rolling them help? As for the top hats, whats the benefit of adjustable top hats? Tried searching but didnt come up with much. It helps with shock travel?
No, you do not need to roll your fenders this is not super aggressive fitment. As far as the top hats go you can get camber plates which will allow you to adjust your camber to your liking and you can achieve a lot of camber with those too. Alternately, you can also get front camber bolts that would fit in your strut assembly, but the bolts only allow a limited amount of camber.
Vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 06:10 PM   #5
VOSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vital View Post
No, you do not need to roll your fenders this is not super aggressive fitment. As far as the top hats go you can get camber plates which will allow you to adjust your camber to your liking and you can achieve a lot of camber with those too. Alternately, you can also get front camber bolts that would fit in your strut assembly, but the bolts only allow a limited amount of camber.
I only mentioned rolling because NoHave above mentioned he rubs his when cornering aggressively.

As for camber, so camber plates can adjust front camber while LCAs control back camber?
Old 03-26-2019, 06:33 PM   #6
Vital

Quote:
I only mentioned rolling because NoHave above mentioned he rubs his when cornering aggressively.

As for camber, so camber plates can adjust front camber while LCAs control back camber?
With coilovers you should have more inner clearance as coils dont have the stock style spring perches so i dont think it should rub too much, but again this all depends on how low you decide to go.

Yep, on these cars you can either get camber plates or camber bolts to adjust camber in the front. For rear you would need LCAs to adjust camber. Also, you can try and dial in some front camber so you dont rub the fender if you do get rubbing that is.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vital For This Useful Post:
VOSS (03-26-2019)
Old 03-26-2019, 06:44 PM   #7
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:

I think it is more of an issue with the amount of camber I am running in combination with ride height. It is rubbing the inner liner so fender rolling won't help. The top hat is one of the places you can make camber adjustments. The ones that come with the Flex Z's are adjustable. I'm at -3 and there is a bit more room to go further.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-2019, 06:45 PM   #8
VOSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vital View Post
With coilovers you should have more inner clearance as coils dont have the stock style spring perches so i dont think it should rub too much, but again this all depends on how low you decide to go.

Yep, on these cars you can either get camber plates or camber bolts to adjust camber in the front. For rear you would need LCAs to adjust camber. Also, you can try and dial in some front camber so you dont rub the fender if you do get rubbing that is.
Alright, well i think that answers all my questions for this setup then. Use the adjustable top hats at the front to get the camber evened out there and then use LCAs in the back to do the same.

Thanks for all the help.
The Following User Says Thank You to VOSS For This Useful Post:
Vital (03-26-2019)
Old 03-26-2019, 06:46 PM   #9
VOSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
I think it is more of an issue with the amount of camber I am running in combination with ride height. It is rubbing the inner liner so fender rolling won't help.

How much camber are you running? I heard having some negative camber like -0.5 to -1 is good for handling?
Old 03-26-2019, 07:09 PM   #10
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Handling wise depends on during what kind of driving and on what kind of pavement. Static negative camber is used to compensate tire sidewall flex during turns to make tire contact patch more even and grip better. Also some add more negative camber to front to change grip bias vs grip bias of stock alignment to make car less understeery.

On dry track where turns are taken fast with high side-Gs, so lot of flex, so car there benefits from lot of negative camber of eg. -3 to -4 degrees depending on tires.

When driving on public roads within speed limits or not overcoming them too license-loosing much and without endangering self and others at too high rates, there are no high side loads, tire doesn't flex much, so for optimum contact patch and most grip optimum camber is way less.

When on low grip pavement, such as in wet, or even more so, on gravel, snow, ice, tire looses grip very soon, again before lot of sidewall flex happens, and again here less camber is better.

Stock camber for twins is ~0degrees front, -1.2dg rear. For only street driven car, if some change it for handling, then only slightly, eg. upping front camber (eg. -0.5 to -1.5 front, same -1.2 rear). Such modest camber amount should work well during wet and in winter too. If you track your car .. or in other words, most of your tire wear happens on track (eg. 5-10 or more trackdays should wear out most of tire set even if daily driven mileage is way way higher), then it's worth to go with track oriented alignment (eg. -3 front, -2.5 rear). If driving pattern, how tires are worn, is somewhere in between, eg. just 1-3 trackdays per year, maybe somewhere in between (eg. -2F, -1.5R). I wouldn't single out "spirited canyon runs" from daily driving. If it's still within speed limits, not going 1.5-2x faster then those, sideloads won't differ much from daily driving, unlike on track, where one pushes much closer to own, car and tire grip limits.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
Tristor (03-26-2019), Vital (03-26-2019), VOSS (03-27-2019)
Old 03-26-2019, 07:20 PM   #11
Vital

Quote:
Alright, well i think that answers all my questions for this setup then. Use the adjustable top hats at the front to get the camber evened out there and then use LCAs in the back to do the same.

Thanks for all the help.
This all depends on what you are going to do with your setup. Is this purely DD and occasionally tracking/autoX or canyon runs? If you are just daily driving you can just get camber bolts up front which will be much cheaper than getting camber plates. For track use you definitely want camber plates so you can run more camber. Yes you want to run some camber in the front for better handling and grip. The main thing to remember is toe is what kills your tires you want 0 toe up front and 1/16th toe-in rear.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:22 PM   #12
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
How much camber are you running? I heard having some negative camber like -0.5 to -1 is good for handling?
I do track days with my car so I am at -3 front, -2 rear which hasn't been enough. I am running way hotter on the outer shoulder of the tire then the inside. If you are in the ball park of -1 front for street it should be fine. I wouldn't worry about it too much.