follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 11-19-2023, 08:43 PM   #1
FrickingReallySlow

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Trunk to trunk-lid gap, rain water leakage from welds?

I've been trying to tackle my water pooling in the trunk even AFTER getting new taillight gaskets. I think my car may have been in a rear end wreck that wasn't reported based on the finding below. Would appreciate any help from others to compare what your trunk looks like.

First 2 pictures are from INSIDE the trunk looking up, the two corners closest to the rear wind shield (3rd picture for reference not my car) I see a big gap where light is coming through on both sides. I'm assuming this shouldn't be happening and there should be a gap right? As I'm spraying water from the outside to see where the water is leaking in I see some smalls drops but not much even with this gap. Is this normal?

Then I look at the rear skirt to the floor pan weld (4th and 5th pic) in the spare tire area and I see water pool from the weld area on BOTH the left side and right side of the spare tire. What is that beige stuff anyway? also should it be beige or does that indicate that its a body repair

@Opie maybe you're more familiar with body work
Attached Images

FrickingReallySlow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FrickingReallySlow For This Useful Post:
humfrz (11-20-2023)
Old 11-19-2023, 08:52 PM   #2
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

Drives: 2017 86 6MT Oceanic
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
The beige stuff is seam sealer, that's normal. looks factory, sheet metal also looks fine.

But no, that trunk isn't sealing at all. looking like that from the inside, that trunk lid should be looking janky as fuk from the outside... From the other pics nothing seems bent out of shape. Look at the latch and hinge areas with bent pieces or dremeled out holes and such.
RZNT4R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RZNT4R For This Useful Post:
Opie (11-20-2023), strat61caster (01-06-2024)
Old 11-20-2023, 12:52 AM   #3
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I checked with Bubba and he says to cover the edges of the inside of the lid with light oil and coat the trunk gasket with silicone. Place a strong light above the trunk. Then, with the trunk lid closed, crawl into the trunk space through the back seat and completely fill the gaps where you see light with silicone calking.

Allow to set for a couple of days, then open the trunk and spray paint the silicone stuffing with flat black paint.

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
FrickingReallySlow (11-20-2023)
Old 11-20-2023, 11:51 AM   #4
FrickingReallySlow

love Bubba's ideas! will do. The trunk lid on the outside actually looks fine and don't see anything out of the ordinary with the quarter panel. it seems like the the "trunk opening metal outline" where the black trunk gasket goes over is janky if that makes any sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
I checked with Bubba and he says to cover the edges of the inside of the lid with light oil and coat the trunk gasket with silicone. Place a strong light above the trunk. Then, with the trunk lid closed, crawl into the trunk space through the back seat and completely fill the gaps where you see light with silicone calking.

Allow to set for a couple of days, then open the trunk and spray paint the silicone stuffing with flat black paint.

humfrz (11-20-2023)
Old 11-20-2023, 05:43 PM   #5
Opie

Drives: '13 BRZ TLM Spec
Thanked 2,325 Times in 1,000 Posts
Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Garage
Both of those area look odd to me....where the orange arrow is pointing the paint appears cracked. and the entire edge the weather strip attaches to looks bent and out of shape to me (in the red outline). But it's hard to tell with the pics. Definitly something is amiss as you shouldn't be able to see light.

The beige stuff is normal....
Attached Images

FrickingReallySlow (11-22-2023)
Old 01-03-2024, 08:29 PM   #6
FrickingReallySlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie View Post
Both of those area look odd to me....where the orange arrow is pointing the paint appears cracked. and the entire edge the weather strip attaches to looks bent and out of shape to me (in the red outline). But it's hard to tell with the pics. Definitly something is amiss as you shouldn't be able to see light.

The beige stuff is normal....
So replaced the taillight gaskets and sprayed the back of the car with a water hose to capture with videos where the water is getting in and it looks like the taillight pocket welds. Area where there is a hole on a metal bracket above the tail-light. I know that both quarter panels have been replaced on this vehicle due to minor damage and fixed through insurance. Wondering what I can use to seal that area? JB weld? gasket maker? Below are the pictures, I used some shop towels to indicate where the leak starts.

In the 2nd picture, water is also coming in from the weatherstrip. Left arrow points to where there a big bead of water running down the inside of the trunk
Attached Images

Old 01-03-2024, 08:33 PM   #7
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrickingReallySlow View Post
So I capture with videos where the water is getting it and it looks like the taillight pocket welds where there is a hole on a metal bracket above the tail-light. I know that both quarter panels have been replaced on this vehicle due to minor damage and fixed through insurance. Wondering what I can use to seal that area? JB weld? gasket maker? Below are the pictures, I used some shop towels to indicate where the leak starts.

In the 2nd picture, water is also coming in from the weatherstrip. Left arrow points to where there a big bead of water running down the inside of the trunk
3M Black Super Weatherstrip Adhesive. It's a little goopy though.

Silicone or other RTV would work too. Just need to get in there with finger and make sure it gets into whatever seam you're trying to tidy up.

I wouldn't use a 2-part epoxy or other structural adhesive. Prefer something that can flex and not break/crack-up over time to keep a long lasting seal.

If you want to test and make sure your repair works first with something that's easily reversible, start off with some butyl rubber tape (same stuff that's used on door vapor barrier sheets). I don't recommend it long term for this application cause it's sticky and without a cover layer it will get dirty and dry up fast. It can be a bit messy to work, but cleans up easily with isopropyl alcohol. Duct tape might even work
EndlessAzure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EndlessAzure For This Useful Post:
FrickingReallySlow (01-03-2024), x808drifter (01-04-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 10:53 AM   #8
Opie

Drives: '13 BRZ TLM Spec
Thanked 2,325 Times in 1,000 Posts
Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Garage
Use a body panel seam sealer on both sides of the seam to prevent rust. Like what the factory uses.

https://www.amazon.com/550-Permanent...835805362&th=1

Who did the quarter panel replacement? Seems like a poor repair....
Old 01-07-2024, 03:56 PM   #9
FrickingReallySlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie View Post
Use a body panel seam sealer on both sides of the seam to prevent rust. Like what the factory uses.

https://www.amazon.com/550-Permanent...835805362&th=1

Who did the quarter panel replacement? Seems like a poor repair....
Thanks for all the great feedback, took it back to the original repair shop that did my left quarter panel ( eventhough both quarter panels taillight pockets are leaking) and got them to both knock "up" the metal trunk weatherstrip gap so it meets the trunk now AND use that rubber sealer on the outside and inside. They were really nice diagnosing and trying to find all the leaks for 2 hours and paid them $50 even though they weren't responsible for most of them. Also the yellow grommets in the pictures that hold the bumper were leaking some water and they completely cover it up with rubber sealer lol. No more leaks! Last thing left for me to do is reseal the weatherstrip and use some touchup paint
humfrz (01-13-2024)