follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 09-06-2013, 11:17 AM   #43
soulstice

Drives: SWP BRZ LTD
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Someone PM'd be about this, so I'll post again to bring it up to the top.

Thanks for posting those updated pics @finch1750, that's a great simple solution.

For those of you guys looking for the parts list, you just need #16 in the diagram. The rest is some time removing the console, modifying the selector to take the offset position and coming up with a way to hold up the shifter boot cover(in finch1750 case a snap button).
soulstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 03:52 AM   #44
Sleeper86

Drives: FT86 GTS white AT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
can someone please post the photos again?
I am trying to do the same and I want to know where is the best place to relocate the PRND part to, some pics would be great,
I have heated seats so the button is there can I still hide the PRND in front of the cup holder?

Last edited by Sleeper86; 04-18-2014 at 05:50 AM.
Sleeper86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 02:45 PM   #45
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper86 View Post
can someone please post the photos again?
I am trying to do the same and I want to know where is the best place to relocate the PRND part to, some pics would be great,
I have heated seats so the button is there can I still hide the PRND in front of the cup holder?
Pics are fixed. In terms of hiding under the console in front of the cup holders the only issues is the heat from the tranny that develops in my opinion. There is no real way to secure it as any adhesive melts (industrial 3M and high strength Velcro both failed on me.) Since it is a control module I did not feel comfortable just leaving it in there to bounce around and cutting for the mount seemed like the better solution. I would at least get a high temp padding of some sort to protect it if you do put it under the center console.

BTW @AG3NT_5CARFAC3 I have seen your shift boot on instagram and it looks clean. how did you get it to fit that way on the shift knob? Mine has loosened over time and I am thinking about just going with a custom shift boot because of it.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:40 AM   #46
Sleeper86

Drives: FT86 GTS white AT
Garage
Thanks finch1750, I just tried and test fit today and I know what kind of high temp you talking about now, I have some Acoustic Foam padding if I wrap those around the control module do you think the heat will damage it? or the foam will even lit up and cause fire? I have dremel tools, what kind of cutting for a mount you referring to, any pics?
Sleeper86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 06:52 AM   #47
AG3NT_5CARFAC3
86 Owners of New England

Drives: Toyota GT86
Thanked 1,195 Times in 542 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
BTW @AG3NT_5CARFAC3 I have seen your shift boot on instagram and it looks clean. how did you get it to fit that way on the shift knob? Mine has loosened over time and I am thinking about just going with a custom shift boot because of it.
Sorry for the super late reply

I bought a MT boot from the forums that a person was selling. I removed the shift bezel and removed the AT boot. For the At boot, you will notice a rubber-ring at the very top. I cut about 2 inches down of that ring and inserted it into the MT boot, from the inside of the MT boot, to the top, on the inside. I then cut (I believe) 4 small slits so the MT boot would fit perfect when the PNRD panel was re-installed. I then installed the whole shift bezel back into place and screwed back on the shift know and slid the rubber ring over the bottom of said knob.

After about 1.5 years of doing this "mod", I still get people at local meets asking if this is a MT lol :P the only giveaways are they can see the paddles on the steering wheel and...the missing third pedal lol I hope this helped. Feel free to PM me if you still need help. I could always take pictures and help you if need be.
Old 06-30-2014, 02:25 PM   #48
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper86 View Post
Thanks finch1750, I just tried and test fit today and I know what kind of high temp you talking about now, I have some Acoustic Foam padding if I wrap those around the control module do you think the heat will damage it? or the foam will even lit up and cause fire? I have dremel tools, what kind of cutting for a mount you referring to, any pics?
Im really not sure. I have no idea what it would take to actually damage it but just didnt want to risk it. The cutting is in the lictures I reuploaded in a previous post. Shows how i was able to mount the piece in the stock location under the new boot still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG3NT_5CARFAC3 View Post
Sorry for the super late reply

I bought a MT boot from the forums that a person was selling. I removed the shift bezel and removed the AT boot. For the At boot, you will notice a rubber-ring at the very top. I cut about 2 inches down of that ring and inserted it into the MT boot, from the inside of the MT boot, to the top, on the inside. I then cut (I believe) 4 small slits so the MT boot would fit perfect when the PNRD panel was re-installed. I then installed the whole shift bezel back into place and screwed back on the shift know and slid the rubber ring over the bottom of said knob.

After about 1.5 years of doing this "mod", I still get people at local meets asking if this is a MT lol :P the only giveaways are they can see the paddles on the steering wheel and...the missing third pedal lol I hope this helped. Feel free to PM me if you still need help. I could always take pictures and help you if need be.
Ok, so you took the AT ring and sewed it in the MT Boot, or how did you attach it? I just know yours looks way cleaner than mine. Lol

Ill send you a PM though as I want to make sure I know what Im doing before cutting stuff up. Haha.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:42 PM   #49
horatioo

Drives: CBC
I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents, with this being done without having to purchase any stock parts. I just did this mod without any cutting or modifying the auto assembly.. first want to give a shout out for excellent custom work @JPMCoachworks to making a custom alcantara manual shift boot with the top stitching having the auto dimensions. All I had to do was remove the rubber grommet that is glued to the top of the auto shift boot insert it (without glueing) to the top of the new manual shift boot and the shift knob fit perfectly snug as if its stock. i pulled the new shift boot over the PRND and bam looks amazing. If anyone of you would like i can post a pic.
horatioo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 10:08 AM   #50
Anomie

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by horatioo View Post
I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents, with this being done without having to purchase any stock parts. I just did this mod without any cutting or modifying the auto assembly.. first want to give a shout out for excellent custom work @JPMCoachworks to making a custom alcantara manual shift boot with the top stitching having the auto dimensions. All I had to do was remove the rubber grommet that is glued to the top of the auto shift boot insert it (without glueing) to the top of the new manual shift boot and the shift knob fit perfectly snug as if its stock. i pulled the new shift boot over the PRND and bam looks amazing. If anyone of you would like i can post a pic.
I'd like to see some pics
Old 07-24-2015, 11:45 AM   #51
Baldoak
BRZ N02

Drives: 2013 A/T Subaru BRZ Limited, SWP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
I would also like to see this, if you still have it.

Custom handmade stickers
Baldoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 02:07 AM   #52
Euro7R

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Bumping old thread. Anyone have installed pics or DIY?
Euro7R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 08:20 PM   #53
HaloFRS

Drives: 2020 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Photos please?