follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Marketplace > Commercial Classifieds > Exterior Parts - Lighting

View the official forum sponsors list

User Tag List

Old 02-08-2016, 02:45 PM   #57
YouSmellBad

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
You have a short / bad connection. Go through and re-install.
Oh, I'm just asking if there are any problems because I heard some people have problems with the traction light coming on.
YouSmellBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:14 PM   #58
treminaor
"DGM BRZ"

Drives: 2016 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Sorry to revive an old thread but since this is the 1st result on Google when you search for this kit I thought I would share my experience with it.

In short: don't buy it.

It's basically a $6 GM brake light socket with a $2 Sylvania bulb and a cheap wiring harness that requires wire splicing to install (horrible idea for long term use) That's all you're getting, and it costs $70. Phaetek accidentally sent me two in the mail by mistake and told me to just keep the second one, so that should give you an idea of how little they are actually worth before markup.

But ignoring how cheap the parts are, as far as I'm concerned this thing is actually dangerous. Within about 30 seconds of being illuminated in fog light mode, the bulb will be so hot to the touch it will instantly burn your hand. The heat generated from it will melt the inside of the OEM 4th brake light housing and it's own plastic bulb socket over time. Every time I remove the light to re-seat it from coming loose, tons of plastic bits fall out every time because they melted off and then dried hard again. It comes loose from melting its own hole larger and larger. Good thing they sent me two because the first one melted itself and fell out, dragged itself on the pavement and broke.

I'm going try an LED that fits this socket and operates at a safe temperature. At least until this goes back in stock https://www.86speed.com/products/v3-...-no-flash.html

Edit: Update, the LED works perfectly at both dim and fullbright levels (fog and brake), I recommend it. Heat levels seem to be much lower.

Last edited by treminaor; 07-12-2017 at 08:13 PM.
treminaor is offline   Reply With Quote