follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 08-03-2016, 03:16 AM   #43
kuczynskika

Drives: Harrop TVS86 STi BRZ tS
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86 View Post
The Edelbrock video states the eforce supercharger has an integrated valve that bypasses the charger at low loads like on the highway so there is no parasitic loses to gas mileage. Is this common on most superchargers? If not, is it part of the Harrop kit? Gas mileage is not a big deal for me because my commute is just a few miles a day but some may care for this feature, and I'd like to know.
When I get mine installed on the 24th I will report back to you.
kuczynskika is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kuczynskika For This Useful Post:
Irace86 (08-03-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 08:01 AM   #44
Blood

Drives: 2018 STI
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86 View Post
The Edelbrock video states the eforce supercharger has an integrated valve that bypasses the charger at low loads like on the highway so there is no parasitic loses to gas mileage. Is this common on most superchargers? If not, is it part of the Harrop kit? Gas mileage is not a big deal for me because my commute is just a few miles a day but some may care for this feature, and I'd like to know.
Yes, the Harrop kit has a bypass valve.
Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blood For This Useful Post:
Irace86 (08-03-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 09:22 AM   #45
Sh1FTy

Drives: Toyota 86 Pegasus White
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
I went for the 90mm pulley (95mm was std), which i was told provides 10psi at 7000rpm approx.
According to the dyno sheet provided i'm getting 280nm torque at 5000rpm through to 5750rpm and just under 180kw at 6750.
Was there feedback that 90mm is still fine for stock internals?
Sh1FTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 01:59 PM   #46
kuczynskika

Garage
So here's a snag... Got this email from Neal at The Racers Line. He's doing the install and Harrop sent this to him regarding the availability of the kit today. Looks like I'm gonna have to wait a bit longer :

"We’re currently experiencing some high demand on 86/BRZ SC kits presently and we’ve got a backorder situation where we’re currently waiting on our casting facility to supply product for us to turn into completed superchargers. We estimate at this stage it will be likely that the first opportunity for me to supply a kit will be either late this month or early September.

Please pass on our apologies to your customer for the delay, however rest assured this is a temporary stock issue.

If your customer is able to wait, we’ll be able to send you a sales order for confirmation as soon as possible."

Last edited by kuczynskika; 08-03-2016 at 02:54 PM.
djwishbone (08-03-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 02:47 PM   #47
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuczynskika View Post
So here's a snag... Got this email from the shop doing the install, sent to him from Harrop regarding the availability of the kit today. Looks like I'm gonna have to wait a bit longer :
Bummer, but good on Harrop for good communication and transparency. I'm actually surprised that they have a shortage since I thought they do their casting in-house like Edelbrock does, so they would've been fully aware of the orders coming in.
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 02:52 PM   #48
kuczynskika

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatFlip View Post
Bummer, but good on Harrop for good communication and transparency. I'm actually surprised that they have a shortage since I thought they do their casting in-house like Edelbrock does, so they would've been fully aware of the orders coming in.
Yeah so far they seem to be a pleasure to do business with. I have Neal at the Racers Line doing the install and back-and-forth to Harrop, so I'm not directly dealing with them. Not sure as to why there would be a supply shortage
BigFatFlip (08-03-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 06:15 PM   #49
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Yeah so far they seem to be a pleasure to do business with. I have Neal at the Racers Line doing the install and back-and-forth to Harrop, so I'm not directly dealing with them. Not sure as to why there would be a supply shortage
Sweet, I may just drop by during the install to spectate (I work nearby the shop sometimes). Keep us posted
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 06:28 PM   #50
kuczynskika

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatFlip View Post
Sweet, I may just drop by during the install to spectate (I work nearby the shop sometimes). Keep us posted
Yeah you should! Always good to shoot the shit and stuff. When we get notice from Harrop that the kit has shipped Neal and I will figure out a date and let you know on here. I plan on taking pics of the install and posting to here as well.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:12 PM   #51
Vulcan

Drives: GTS86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh1FTy View Post
Was there feedback that 90mm is still fine for stock internals?

Yes Sh1FTy, during discussions with sales I'd specified I didn't want a "grenade". When they told me their tuner had suggested the 90mm pulley I questioned it and was assured it would be fine. I guess every engine can be different and shit can happen but I know through some local forums of a couple of guys running this setup and no reports of issues.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Sh1FTy (08-04-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 08:40 PM   #52
Norkoastal
Never on Time Always Late

Drives: #silenced crickets
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Great to hear Neal is getting his mitts on one of these. I'm waiting in the wings to hear how things go regarding install, tuning, etc. I'm praying the sti strut bar will be able to be used post install to keep things as is.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:42 PM   #53
kuczynskika

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norkoastal View Post
Great to hear Neal is getting his mitts on one of these. I'm waiting in the wings to hear how things go regarding install, tuning, etc. I'm praying the sti strut bar will be able to be used post install to keep things as is.
I'll keep you posted. The STi strut bar should be ok. The Harrop clears the Cusco with a couple inches to spare and they are about the same height.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:54 PM   #54
Bfranklyn86

Drives: GT86 Harrop S/C
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarropOz View Post
Not at All... The Cat back of all the performance mods we did proved to be the least effective in building HP. However when coupled with a good set of Headers it does help things move along.

The reason we mention it on our dyno sheet is that we are all about 100% transparency. Thats what the car had on it when we bolted the SC kit on so we need to mention it. A Cat back is certainly not a huge performance mod.

So to answer your question, i think the most important exhaust mod is a good quality set of headers. We use and recommend the CS400 Ace Headers.
Thanks for that Andrew, really useful.

(Without wanting to use and abuse you....) do you think if I did the full exhaust and took the whp up to around 270, that would be as safe for the stock internals as keeping the stock exhaust on? It would be running the same pulley/boost so I assume that's the same amount of stress on the stock engine......
Bfranklyn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 01:57 PM   #55
Bfranklyn86

Drives: GT86 Harrop S/C
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
So here's a snag... Got this email from Neal at The Racers Line. He's doing the install and Harrop sent this to him regarding the availability of the kit today. Looks like I'm gonna have to wait a bit longer :

"We’re currently experiencing some high demand on 86/BRZ SC kits presently and we’ve got a backorder situation where we’re currently waiting on our casting facility to supply product for us to turn into completed superchargers. We estimate at this stage it will be likely that the first opportunity for me to supply a kit will be either late this month or early September.

Please pass on our apologies to your customer for the delay, however rest assured this is a temporary stock issue.

If your customer is able to wait, we’ll be able to send you a sales order for confirmation as soon as possible."
Yup I'm a victim of this too - my install has been delayed twice. New install date is the 20th.
Bfranklyn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 02:00 PM   #56
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfranklyn86 View Post
Thanks for that Andrew, really useful.

(Without wanting to use and abuse you....) do you think if I did the full exhaust and took the whp up to around 270, that would be as safe for the stock internals as keeping the stock exhaust on? It would be running the same pulley/boost so I assume that's the same amount of stress on the stock engine......
It's not the peak whp that's the issue. Also, go based off info from Mark and the well quoted info from @Matt@Cosworth.... 270 peak who is not an issue.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote