follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 06-11-2012, 03:24 PM   #1
inimitable

Drives: SSM 6-MT limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Best way to find an available BRZ and advice

I don't feel like waiting, so I'm on the hunt for a BRZ.

I'm not extraordinarily particular about the color (I like a few of them), so I'm willing to compromise. However, it absolutely has to be a 6MT!

I will most likely go for the Limited, though this may be another area I'm willing to compromise in. By all means, voice your opinion on this, if you have one: Premium or Limited? I will have a better idea on this once I'm done looking over the specs and assigning them some value and utility.

My goal is to get one this week. Today would be even better. "Have BRZ? Will travel." I'd even fly if I had to; it would be a lot of fun taking the road trip back, and trying to grind out those first 1,000 miles. I am a bit concerned about getting screwed by a shady dealer trying to hustle me upon arrival. So, if anyone has any advice on that, I'd be much obliged.

I'm located in south Jersey, and at the moment, my only means of research besides my fellows at ft86club, is searching on autotrader or finding a dealer through the Subaru website, and then picking up the phone to make sure there is actually one in stock, and trying to get a price. Therefore, any other resources, one can offer me will also be greatly appreciated.

Anything else You might want to suggest, go ahead; I can use all the help I can get. This is my first time buying a new car, and I tend to make impulsive/impatient/irrational decisions, and I suppose, at times, this can make me a bit of a pushover, a real dream to a salesman.

Thanks In Advance, and I will certainly do my best to Pay It Forward!
inimitable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:27 PM   #2
Kimsey47

Drives: 2016 STI DGM
Thanked 1,460 Times in 662 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Well, I must say I LOVE my DGM Limited! All the features are great and I don't regret paying a little bit more for all the extras. If you're just getting this for a hobby car to build for some type of autoX or etc, then I could see you going Premium. Either way you can't go wrong!
Old 06-11-2012, 03:29 PM   #3
Jayde

Drives: 2013 Satin White Pearl BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Can try both Mid-Hudson Subaru and Ruge's Subaru in Dutchess County, NY. Both are excellent dealers selling at MSRP. I know Ruge's had an auto last I spoke with my contact (yes, auto, but they might have something else now) and Mid-Hudson was getting a few in last week. Ask for Michelle at Mid-Hudson and Patrick at Ruge's. Tell them Anthony sent you, they'll know me.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:29 PM   #4
Jayde

Drives: 2013 Satin White Pearl BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimsey47 View Post
Well, I must say I LOVE my DGM Limited! All the features are great and I don't regret paying a little bit more for all the extras. If you're just getting this for a hobby car to build for some type of autoX or etc, then I could see you going Premium. Either way you can't go wrong!
Old 06-11-2012, 03:38 PM   #5
Flat Black VW

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I bought mine from Patrick Subaru in Shrewsberry NH, I live in VA so it was a long distance transaction and Tri Le was my salesman who picked me up from the boston train station and will pick up from the airport there also. They had very good customer service and Im sure Tri would be more than willing to help you out. When I left the lot Saturday they had a WRB Limited on the lot (not sure im manual or auto). Call them up, ask to speak with Tri and he will be more than happy to take care of you.
Also I do know they had an allotment of ~25 orders and only 5 pre-orders of which 3 fell through, and they got 7 during their first shipment. Good Luck!
Flat Black VW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:45 PM   #6
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
You are in the NE so you should have plenty of options. I would just use the Subaru website dealer search and call the 10 closest dealers and then move out from there. I know a couple weeks ago a NJ dealer had a WRB Limited with 6 speed manual available. Someone posted about it in this forum.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:05 PM   #7
inimitable

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
You are in the NE so you should have plenty of options. I would just use the Subaru website dealer search and call the 10 closest dealers and then move out from there. I know a couple weeks ago a NJ dealer had a WRB Limited with 6 speed manual available. Someone posted about it in this forum.
I'm trying the Subaru website, but it's only showing me 6 dealer's near my ZIP. WTF? I can't seem to find anyway of adjusting the scope.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:08 PM   #8
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
You can't, just change it to the zip of one of the dealers and go from there. It took me a bit, but I contacted the 12 closest to me after writing down their info in a spreadsheet, haha.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:15 PM   #9
inimitable

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
You can't, just change it to the zip of one of the dealers and go from there. It took me a bit, but I contacted the 12 closest to me after writing down their info in a spreadsheet, haha.
Good idea. I'm doing the same type of thing, right now...
Old 06-11-2012, 04:22 PM   #10
inimitable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Black VW View Post
I bought mine from Patrick Subaru in Shrewsberry NH, I live in VA so it was a long distance transaction and Tri Le was my salesman who picked me up from the boston train station and will pick up from the airport there also. They had very good customer service and Im sure Tri would be more than willing to help you out. When I left the lot Saturday they had a WRB Limited on the lot (not sure im manual or auto). Call them up, ask to speak with Tri and he will be more than happy to take care of you.
Also I do know they had an allotment of ~25 orders and only 5 pre-orders of which 3 fell through, and they got 7 during their first shipment. Good Luck!
Besides Tri Le being a stand-up guy and everything working out for you, did you take any precautions in advance in an effort to secure your price?

I'm concerned because I went to check out an FR-S yesterday, locally, and when I got there, after they checked out my potential trade-in, and let me take it for a test drive, and got whatever other info. they could out of me, they tried to sell me the car for $32,XXX!!! Let me repeat, an FR-S for $32K+. I can't believe they were serious. Then, they wouldn't give up, and kept counter-offering me since they still had my keys from when they were checking out my trade-in. Finally, I said, come back with my keys; I'm leaving.

FWIW, I didn't ask the price over the phone, and don't remember if it was posted online; I just put some faith in the Toyota Pure Price Guarantee, or whatever, which was mentioned and offered to me when I put a deposit down at a different Toyota dealer last week.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:28 PM   #11
DantKR

Drives: Subaru BRZ LT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Do what I did. Subaru.com find dealer. Search around cities and check their inventory. If you find what you want on their site, call. If it's not sold you can put in a deposit and pick it up. If it is, move on. Keep going further and further out. Took me about 2 hours to find the one I bought.
DantKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:56 PM   #12
inimitable

Quote:
Originally Posted by DantKR View Post
Do what I did. Subaru.com find dealer. Search around cities and check their inventory. If you find what you want on their site, call. If it's not sold you can put in a deposit and pick it up. If it is, move on. Keep going further and further out. Took me about 2 hours to find the one I bought.
It would be nice if most of them had updated their websites to include BRZ in the filters, though. I suppose I will try a few. I'm getting tired of making all of these cold-calls and having them all tell me the same story "...no, we don't, but we're getting one in soon. Can I have your name and number?"
Old 06-11-2012, 05:01 PM   #13
inimitable

I've found 1 single BRZ so far out of ~11 calls. It's a CBS (black) 6-MT, premium; both of which would be my last choices, for the most part. Dang. What's worse, it's from one of the black-listed dealers! I asked about price, and I was told the MSRP. I asked if that's what it was selling for, and I was told "I don't know, you'll have to come in and talk to one of the sales managers, but I believe so." In other words, No. Fkking jokers. For reference, it was Colonial Subaru of Feasterville, PA.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:22 PM   #14
inimitable

Quote:
Originally Posted by DantKR View Post
On second thought, I'm getting some hits with this!