follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 04-26-2012, 08:56 AM   #1
Chris

Drives: '12 Kia Sorento SX
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
FR-S vs. Used G37 Coupe

Ok hear me out. I know they are completely different, target different markets, used vs. new etc etc. I am looking to get a different car in the next few months, and have decided I want something fun for a reliable DD. I have had several old BMW's (2002, E21, E30) as project cars, and they were a blast. So the idea of a small lightweight RWD car is appealing (I know the G37 wouldn't be classified as light). The majority of my driving will just be commuting, and driving to visit my g/f. Could be upwards of 500 miles per week. She has a G35 coupe, and it's great. Rear seat is very usable IMHO, plenty of power, and is a good highway cruiser. Ultimately I guess I need to just drive both.

$25k '08 G37 39k. http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...ngId=317351588
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:13 AM   #2
suprachica79

Drives: free Hyundai, 2006 Kawasaki ZX6R
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I was cross-shopping these as well when I was in the market for a new car. Never ridden in one but I'm all for the luxuries and creature comforts that a luxury car brings, not to mention I love the styling of the Gs. Gas mileage was a killer for me though as I do about 700-800 miles a week. I've been very impressed lately with Nissan's build quality so I don't think it would be a bad buy, just a pretty different car than the FR-S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn248 View Post
Reminds me that I need to work on finding a JDM girlfriend, or maybe JDM modified for US use as I don't think I could learn Japanese.
suprachica79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:13 AM   #3
pastuch

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have test driven three different G37s and owned a G35 Coupe. I hated my G35, it was unreliable and almost every electrical motor on it failed. Power door locks, windows, seats... failed. I didn't let that taint my review of the G37.

The G37 is a boat, it's even heavier than the G35 and it feels it. It weighs 1000 pounds more than an FR-S. The exhaust note is awesome and it accelerates in a straight line but there is no sense of fun to the car. The steering feel, or lack there-of, is almost Lexus-boring. Handling is poor with quite a bit of body roll and understeer. The manual transmission is a big improvement over the shit-box that they used in the G35. I would describe the G37 M6 as loose, there is a lot of play, but the shifting action is more direct and the clutch has better take up than the G35. It pales in comparison to the M6 in the RX8, Miata, RX7, BMW 3 and S2000. If you like the M6 in any of those cars above then you'll like the one in the FRS/BRZ more than the g37. Nissan\Infiniti still can't build a decent transmission.

The G37 has a very nice interior but I still think you'd be crazy to buy one over a BMW 328 or 335 Coupe. The driving dynamics of the BMWs are so much better in every way. The steering in the BMW is hydraulic, heavy and communicative. The transmission is not even comparable, the M6 in the 3 series is a class benchmark. They have beautiful interiors, better sound systems, and the horrible i-drive system. Maintenance costs between a 328i Coupe and a G37 will be comparable. The 335I will be substantially more.

Gas Milage: The FR-S\BRZ will embarrass the G37 (And 3 series) in this category. Fueleconomy.gov for comparison.

If you're shopping for an automatic you should just buy a Camry and get it it over with. Sports cars aren't for you, start having babies and buy a minivan.
pastuch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pastuch For This Useful Post:
charged86 (05-14-2013)
Old 04-26-2012, 11:27 AM   #4
preetham

Drives: 2008 ISF, 2011 987 Spyder
For your use case, i'd go with the used G37.
preetham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:43 AM   #5
veewonwon

Drives: G37s, FR-S Firestorm 6MT
Garage
My current ride is a 08 6MT, and pre-order a FR-S as a replacement.

As you already know, the G is a cruiser with a touch of sportiness. However, at 3,600+ grross weight, it is very noticeable. I'd a 06 RX-8 which weighs 3000lbs, and was much more fun (was my DD) even with a torque-less tiny rotary. I would have kept it if it had a more normal engine, the neutral handling is among the best out there.

Since you mentioned your Bimmer experience, I'm not so sure you'll like this big G, b'cos I don't. Had E36 and E46 before, the E36 was great, not so the E46, and the G37 is more like the current E92, numb and porky in comparison. I'd a 04 G35 6MT coupe for 3 yrs, it was much more fun (raw, still porky, but more direct feel) compare to the upscale G37s.

The power is there, but can't use it most of the time, as I'm not a city street racer and always downshift when passing. My Infiniti dealer tried to cut me a good deal on a 2012 G37s IPL, I kept telling them, get me a light and raw car, not an upscale cruiser and labelled as a sport coupe.

Freeway mileage is ok, a full tank will run about 720km (445mi) if my left foot stayed steady, cool weather, no AC, and made one stop. Based on a couple of fairly long trips. City mileage is as bad as the RX-8 rotary. Observed no improvement over the G35 as factory claimed.

Trunk and back seats are not very useable. Anyone over 5' 6 will not be able to sit straight back there. Leg room is tight on the rear driver side. I'm 5' 10, and no one can sit behind me (no, I don't lock my elbow in my driving position). Your GF's G coupe is similar in this regard.

Do your test drive and find out if your opinion differs. For me, I can't wait to drive the 86.
veewonwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:01 PM   #6
yayforaddison

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
I've actually been a huge fan of the G37, and its one of the cars competing with my possible next purchase along with the FRS. Probably one of the few luxury sport cars I have been debating on. I love the sound, I think the car is very very sexy, I like all the extra little gadgets, its very comfortable, and I've been a Z enthusiast for years. Now I do go back and forth between wanting lightweight, and sport luxury. I've never had a sport luxury car, but have driven plenty. I'm a mechanic for a HUGE branch with enterprise, and we have some very nice new cars that come in (G37 sedan, Chrysler 300 8 speed, BMW 328i). I have had mostly smaller sports cars throughout my life (2 Porsche 944's, 2 300zx's, an old Nissan S12, RX8, to name a few) and am unsure if I could move to something bigger, more powerful, and heavy. What I have been debating, is buying one and down the road (wayyyy down, maybe even 5-10 years) have another for a DD. I may keep my 300zx and get the FRS for my weekend my, then down the road, I could let the Z go and buy a G37s for my DD.

Decisions, decisions...
yayforaddison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:03 PM   #7
pastuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by veewonwon View Post
Since you mentioned your Bimmer experience, I'm not so sure you'll like this big G, b'cos I don't. Had E36 and E46 before, the E36 was great, not so the E46, and the G37 is more like the current E92, numb and porky in comparison. I'd a 04 G35 6MT coupe for 3 yrs, it was much more fun (raw, still porky, but more direct feel) compare to the upscale G37s.
LOL and everyone thought the E36 was bloated compared to the E30. I love that an E30 3 series weighs less than the current 1 series. Fucking safety standards.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:22 PM   #8
veewonwon

Drives: G37s, FR-S Firestorm 6MT
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastuch View Post
LOL and everyone thought the E36 was bloated compared to the E30. I love that an E30 3 series weighs less than the current 1 series. Fucking safety standards.

:happy0180: Yes, drove my buddy's E30 when I was in school, it was definitely a blast.

None of the current Bimmers are attractive to me. After my ultimate dreadful experience with the E46 330ci Sp, I'm staying far and away from this company.
veewonwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:42 PM   #9
brufleth

Drives: 2007 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by veewonwon View Post
After my ultimate dreadful experience with the E46 330ci Sp, I'm staying far and away from this company.
My father-in-law offered up a really nice 3 series that's in great shape and has been well maintained. I considered it but it is out of warranty (I actually can't remember what year it is but it is probably close to ten years old). I don't have the facilities to work on it myself (like he does) and I don't think I want to spend the money to keep it on the road. It doesn't require major constant work but there's always something that needs to be done and I wouldn't call them all minor problems.
brufleth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:43 PM   #10
Chris

Drives: '12 Kia Sorento SX
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Thanks for all the replies. I assumed the G37 would drive a lot like the G35, but it sounds like there is more of a difference than I imagined. Gas mileage is an issue, but all my past DDs have all averaged less than the G37. It would be nice to find another deal like I found for my g/f. 2003 G35 48k miles for $13k. It is mint, and given her no problems in the last 1.5 years / 14k miles.

Decisions indeed.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:52 PM   #11
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
I drove a G37S 6spd; it was rubbish. Worse than the 370Z and G35x sedans I've driven. They look sooooo much better than they drive! G37 had a clunky gearbox, noisy engine, and cheap feel. It didn't feel anything like a luxury sports car so much as a sports car with luxury bits grafted onto it. I'd recommend an Audi or BMW over one any day of the week! Or better yet, an FR-S/BRZ

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:38 AM   #12
pastuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
I drove a G37S 6spd; it was rubbish. Worse than the 370Z and G35x sedans I've driven. They look sooooo much better than they drive! G37 had a clunky gearbox, noisy engine, and cheap feel. It didn't feel anything like a luxury sports car so much as a sports car with luxury bits grafted onto it. I'd recommend an Audi or BMW over one any day of the week! Or better yet, an FR-S/BRZ
For the most part I agree but Audis don't feel any better than the G37. I test drove a 40000KM Audi A5 Sline. Beautiful interior, space-ship like even, but the whole car felt loose. The transmission was no where near as direct, elegant or driver oriented as a 328 or 335. I think a used BMW 328I Coupe is actually a very good deal. They are the most reliable BMW you can buy right now, get good gas mileage, look cool and are affordable. The problem is that a 2008 328 Coupe with low mileage is the same price as a 2013 Scion FR-S!

BMW 328I > Infiniti G37S if you want a luxury SPORTS coupe. The G37 is a boat.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:42 AM   #13
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastuch View Post
For the most part I agree but Audis don't feel any better than the G37. I test drove a 40000KM Audi A5 Sline. Beautiful interior, space-ship like even, but the whole car felt loose. The transmission was no where near as direct, elegant or driver oriented as a 328 or 335.
Auto or manual? The 6spd autos were only OK; they switched to the 8-spd last year which is a really good automatic. The manual is a little indirect, but it can be shifted very smoothly and if you're really good your passengers won't feel any shudder between gear changes like in most manual cars. I do wish it felt a little more mechanical, though. The sport pkg firms up the suspension and gives it better composure than the standard car, too. I'm sorry but I don't even compare Japanese "luxury" brands to the Germans. It's seriously a joke. Of the 20 or so cars I've owned, 14 were Japanese, 4 were American (never again!), and 2 (including my current car) were German. And oh how the Germans embarrass everything else by comparison!

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:55 AM   #14
pastuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
Auto or manual? The 6spd autos were only OK; they switched to the 8-spd last year which is a really good automatic. The manual is a little indirect, but it can be shifted very smoothly and if you're really good your passengers won't feel any shudder between gear changes like in most manual cars. I do wish it felt a little more mechanical, though. The sport pkg firms up the suspension and gives it better composure than the standard car, too. I'm sorry but I don't even compare Japanese "luxury" brands to the Germans. It's seriously a joke.
Autos are terrible, no exceptions. The M6 in the A5 I drove was very loose, lots of play, clutch uptake is smooth but it's no where near the quality of a Miata, S2000 or BMW. Like you said, no mechanical feel at all. I hated the steering in the A5, terrible weighting and the car felt like it weighs 9000 pounds. Oh it had the sport package suspension too but still felt heavy in corners and pavement cracks were very jarring. The IS250 Sedan has a better M6 transmission than an A5 but it also has the least communicative steering I've ever tried. Just an awful electric steering column.... AWFUL.

Tags
g37, infiniti