follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-28-2013, 11:45 AM   #1
madcap

Drives: 2013 Hot Lava FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Crossed over 4k miles on my FR-S...questions about your experiences vs. mine

So I received my FR-S at the beginning of the year and I have crossed over 4,000 miles on the odometer. There's just a few things I have noticed about the car and was wondering if anyone else has had the same experience.

1. I have noticed that when the car has just started up it seems down on power for the first 30 seconds or so. By the time I back up and hit the road I often notice a strong surge in power when accelerating onto the main road, like a switch comes on and allows more fuel to dump into the cylinders. It felt weak before the surge and then after it drives normal until shut down again.

2. I have noticed that the foot well foot rest moves when I put my foot on it. I have not gotten down there to inspect it but I do notice it when driving. I take my foot off the clutch and move it to the foot rest and I feel it moving underneath my foot, even making a clicking noise/feeling when it moves. It's not anything that really bothers me but I do notice it.

3. Traction control. I think the traction control is a little more intrusive at times than it should be. I have taken off from a stop making a right turn, at a quicker rate than normal, not to drive crazy but just to get into traffic quick for a small opening. If one of the rear tires begins to slip at all, the traction control will intervene and slow that wheel down which slows acceleration down which I have found at times to be dangerous while entering traffic. I just think the traction control sometimes intervenes too early.
madcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:57 AM   #2
TCHawk

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'm sitting at about 3340 this morning and the only thing I really found is a I have a small rattle in the back seat somewhere, sometimes. Which I don't notice most time since my last car was loud as all can be inside. Other than that nothing much has changed at all.
TCHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:58 AM   #3
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I just crossed the 5k mark. My thoughts:

1) You will be down on power until oil temps hit nominal. There are a number of dynos that show this. Also as a general rule, you don't want to be flogging the car 30 seconds after starting it up. You need to let the oil circulate and get up to temp (5-10 minutes of easy driving), otherwise you'll cause excessive wear in your engine.

2) My foot rest seems solid. May want to get that warrantied.

3) TC can be annoying, but it also does a good job stepping in early enough to prevent spins on a tailhappy RWD car. If I'm driving aggressively enough to spin the wheels, I put it into Sport on the street.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (03-28-2013)
Old 03-28-2013, 12:06 PM   #4
madcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
I just crossed the 5k mark. My thoughts:

1) You will be down on power until oil temps hit nominal. There are a number of dynos that show this. Also as a general rule, you don't want to be flogging the car 30 seconds after starting it up. You need to let the oil circulate and get up to temp (5-10 minutes of easy driving), otherwise you'll cause excessive wear in your engine.
I agree, I don't flog the engine 30 seconds after startup. This is just turning onto the road and accelerating normally. There is a noticeable surge in power during light acceleration but only soon after startup. After that initial surge the engine seems to make power evenly for the remaining time the car is running. I figured this may be something with the direct port fuel injection system coming up to full operating pressure or something like that, but after the engine has been running for 30 seconds or so.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:08 PM   #5
Captain_Awesome_Pants

Drives: FR-S: Firestorm
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Ughhh... I hate where I live because I immediately have to pull onto a highway with heavy traffic in the mornings and ALWAYS have to slam the gas to do it.
Captain_Awesome_Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Captain_Awesome_Pants For This Useful Post:
5hairpins (03-28-2013)
Old 03-28-2013, 12:11 PM   #6
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcap View Post
I agree, I don't flog the engine 30 seconds after startup. This is just turning onto the road and accelerating normally. There is a noticeable surge in power during light acceleration but only soon after startup. After that initial surge the engine seems to make power evenly for the remaining time the car is running. I figured this may be something with the direct port fuel injection system coming up to full operating pressure or something like that, but after the engine has been running for 30 seconds or so.
Yeah that's odd. On mine, I do notice the torque dip, but that's there even when the engine is fully warmed up. Haven't noticed any surge during light acceleration ~30 s after startup.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:16 PM   #7
Nevermore
Wayward Member

Drives: Hot Lava 86
Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,386 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I think I've noticed the surge you're talking about. I've spun tires in my cul-de-sac before, right as I'm leaving. I'm not stomping it or trying to flog it, I mean, it's a small cul-de-sac after all. The engine just seems a little eager some times.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:38 PM   #8
D4S
Probably Watching F1

Drives: 10 Series FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
I'm at around 5.5K right now, I don't notice a significant pull, maybe it's just driving style. As for the traction, just turn it off if you're merging in traffic like that, the tires are sticky enough.
D4S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:43 PM   #9
dem00n
Member of the year - 2016

Drives: Scion FRS
Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
16K here, only real problem I've had besides tail light condensation is the engine coolant going bye bye.
dem00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:49 PM   #10
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,481 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quote:
Do you notice this surge while maintaining consistent rpms? The engine pulls stronger higher up the revs. What your describing is how all engines work, at least to my ears.

The other thing is that engines run rich when cold, this generates excess heat to get the catalytic converters up to temperature to reduce emissions, called "light off temperature". This is similar to what was called a "choke" in the old days, after the car warms up you can dial back to the proper air-fuel ratio and it'll run better. Add in what others said bout oil circulating and this should satisfy most curiosities.

~7k miles in and my foot rest wiggles a bit too if I don't put my food directly on it. I'm not concerned.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:49 PM   #11
mrlewistan
Driver of FR-S 1467

Drives: 2013 scion frs 001467
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
So I received my FR-S at the beginning of the year and I have crossed over 4,000 miles on the odometer. There's just a few things I have noticed about the car and was wondering if anyone else has had the same experience.
are you driving an auto? i cant really say ive experienced your problems in my manual
mrlewistan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:02 PM   #12
madcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Do you notice this surge while maintaining consistent rpms? The engine pulls stronger higher up the revs. What your describing is how all engines work, at least to my ears.

The other thing is that engines run rich when cold, this generates excess heat to get the catalytic converters up to temperature to reduce emissions, called "light off temperature". This is similar to what was called a "choke" in the old days, after the car warms up you can dial back to the proper air-fuel ratio and it'll run better. Add in what others said bout oil circulating and this should satisfy most curiosities.

It has happened at a constant RPM. I've accelerated slowly and held a near consistent RPM around 2800 and I've had it feel just like a switch was flipped on and the car instantly delivers more power, but only the first time I accelerate after starting the engine.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:04 PM   #13
madcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlewistan View Post
are you driving an auto? i cant really say ive experienced your problems in my manual

no auto for my sports car
Old 03-28-2013, 03:11 PM   #14
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,481 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quote:
It has happened at a constant RPM. I've accelerated slowly and held a near consistent RPM around 2800 and I've had it feel just like a switch was flipped on and the car instantly delivers more power, but only the first time I accelerate after starting the engine.
Interesting, I definitely think it's the car coming up to temp and lighting off the cats, it's well known that most cars run in a "choke" mode until they're up to temp, until then they don't deliver as much power. You can see it when you first start up the car will idle at around 1,000 rpms instead of ~650.

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choke_valve"]Choke valve - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote