follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-18-2016, 04:16 PM   #71
wlfpck

Drives: 2015 GTI
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Updated to add some torque capacity information that I found. New information is listed under the general information section with their reference materials.
The Following User Says Thank You to wlfpck For This Useful Post:
Freeman (05-18-2016)
Old 05-29-2017, 12:15 PM   #72
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Any new parts available for the auto tranny?
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 02:59 PM   #73
Premium 615

Drives: '15 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
SSP has a few products for the BRZ/FRS on their site, link below.
http://sspperformance.shopgate.com/category/3539/all
Old 11-04-2017, 07:53 PM   #74
North_GA_FRS

Drives: 2013 Toyota FRS
Garage
Just upgraded to the SSP clutch pack, Stg 2 vlv body, and torque converter. Car sees quite a bit of track time and started slipping in 3rd/4th (FI and E85); could have rebuilt/replaced the torque converter with OEM for less, but wanted to stick with the same manufacturer for everything. Unfortunately, I can't provide a review because I was off to France 2 days after everything was installed. Break-in should be complete prior to my next track day in mid December. Following the track day, I can provide a detailed review......assuming I remember.
North_GA_FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to North_GA_FRS For This Useful Post:
Lonewolf (11-05-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 07:00 AM   #75
liquidsky44

Drives: AVO Turbo Subaru BRZ / Subaru WRX
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_GA_FRS View Post
Just upgraded to the SSP clutch pack, Stg 2 vlv body, and torque converter. Car sees quite a bit of track time and started slipping in 3rd/4th (FI and E85); could have rebuilt/replaced the torque converter with OEM for less, but wanted to stick with the same manufacturer for everything. Unfortunately, I can't provide a review because I was off to France 2 days after everything was installed. Break-in should be complete prior to my next track day in mid December. Following the track day, I can provide a detailed review......assuming I remember.
May I know where did you get the SSP clutch pack from? Don't see it listed on their website. TIA
AVO Turbo|Essex AP Sprint Kit|AVO Overpipe|HKS Hi-Power Spec L Catback|Cusco Engine Mounts|Whiteline Bushings|KW Clubsport|Defi Advance ZD|AEM Wideband Failsafe Gauge|Greddy ProFec Boost Controller|Tomei 2Way LSD|AEM Water/Meth Kit|PBM Angle Kit + Kunckles|Flatwell LCA|HKS Oil Cooler|Greddy High Cap. Diff Cooler|Sard ATF Oil Cooler|CSF Radiator|
liquidsky44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 04:54 PM   #76
North_GA_FRS

Garage
I ordered the clutch pack through DSG Performance. The car has been great thus far but still haven't had it on track due to weather and travel schedule. First good thrashing will happen Mid March.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to North_GA_FRS For This Useful Post:
liquidsky44 (01-10-2018), Lonewolf (01-09-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 11:28 AM   #77
North_GA_FRS

Garage
First track day of the year last Sunday with the clutch packs, stg2 valve body, and torque converter from SSP. Since I hadn't had the car on track since last year, the first 3 sessions were just a shakedown and the last 3 sessions I pushed it pretty hard. My opinions, based on my first track day with everything installed.
-Torque converter; I don't see any benefit of the torque converter for track purposes, if you decide to go with SSP parts, skip the TQ converter and either have the stock one rebuilt, or buy a new OEM converter.
-Clutch packs; my car is only 360/280 so I don't expect to ever have issues with them; no problems with them during the track day.
-Stage 2 valve body; the car is going in soon to have another dyno tune and optimize what can be, for faster shifting. The car does seem to shift faster, although it won't be confused with a dual clutch or PDK, it's not nearly as fast. The biggest difference I've noticed is shifting at high RPM and boost; whereas I used to have to shift at 6500RPM to avoid bouncing off the rev limiter (yes, shifts were that slow after manual input) the car shifts almost immediately in the same RPM range.
-Stage1 vs. Stage 2 valve body for track use; although I have the stage 2 it's almost pointless in my case, as the only track I ever use 5th gear is Road Atlanta, and only for a short time. I haven't been to RA yet with the new setup but have shifted to 5th gear while pushing the car. I didn't notice a significant difference though, shifts are still labored at high RPM/boost when shifting to 5th. Hoping this changes after optimization, otherwise, the stage 2 really is pointless.

Currently debating final drive swap to 4.5 or 4.6; the only thing holding me back is having to shift to 5th more frequently and how tall it is.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to North_GA_FRS For This Useful Post:
CkOne (01-23-2019), JDM4E (03-23-2018), Steveiam (07-29-2019)
Old 07-29-2019, 11:52 PM   #78
Steveiam

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
First track day of the year last Sunday with the clutch packs, stg2 valve body, and torque converter from SSP. Since I hadn't had the car on track since last year, the first 3 sessions were just a shakedown and the last 3 sessions I pushed it pretty hard. My opinions, based on my first track day with everything installed.
-Torque converter; I don't see any benefit of the torque converter for track purposes, if you decide to go with SSP parts, skip the TQ converter and either have the stock one rebuilt, or buy a new OEM converter.
-Clutch packs; my car is only 360/280 so I don't expect to ever have issues with them; no problems with them during the track day.
-Stage 2 valve body; the car is going in soon to have another dyno tune and optimize what can be, for faster shifting. The car does seem to shift faster, although it won't be confused with a dual clutch or PDK, it's not nearly as fast. The biggest difference I've noticed is shifting at high RPM and boost; whereas I used to have to shift at 6500RPM to avoid bouncing off the rev limiter (yes, shifts were that slow after manual input) the car shifts almost immediately in the same RPM range.
-Stage1 vs. Stage 2 valve body for track use; although I have the stage 2 it's almost pointless in my case, as the only track I ever use 5th gear is Road Atlanta, and only for a short time. I haven't been to RA yet with the new setup but have shifted to 5th gear while pushing the car. I didn't notice a significant difference though, shifts are still labored at high RPM/boost when shifting to 5th. Hoping this changes after optimization, otherwise, the stage 2 really is pointless.

Currently debating final drive swap to 4.5 or 4.6; the only thing holding me back is having to shift to 5th more frequently and how tall it is.
How have the parts been holding up at that power range? Were you able to get your 5th gear smoothed out?
Steveiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 12:48 AM   #79
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
I am contemplating doing these. Currently only at about 285/225 so not really needed. Although the quicker shifts would be nice. NA i actually thought it was somewhat quick, manually shift and it would shift in under 200rpm, then boosted it changed to about 400rpm until tuner adjust some things and now it’s about 250rpm. Can only imagine with 100hp more how much worse it would be.

But anyways how much did it cost to get installed?
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:10 PM   #80
North_GA_FRS

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveiam View Post
How have the parts been holding up at that power range? Were you able to get your 5th gear smoothed out?
The parts have been very reliable through at least 20 track days. no issues with clutch packs and shifts from 1st-4th are much quicker. Shift to 5th still sucks; if you don’t lift at high RPM/boost, the car will throw a slip code and disable ABS in the process. This happened to me 3 times yesterday at Road Atlanta. If you’re considering trans upgrades, just pony up for the clutch packs and stage 1 valve body if shift speed is important to you. Don’t bother with the stage 2, or the torque converter, unless you live life 1/4 mile at a time. The more time I spend with the torque converter, the more I want to remove and put the stock converter back in.
The Following User Says Thank You to North_GA_FRS For This Useful Post:
Steveiam (09-22-2019)
Old 09-16-2019, 09:12 PM   #81
North_GA_FRS

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
I am contemplating doing these. Currently only at about 285/225 so not really needed. Although the quicker shifts would be nice. NA i actually thought it was somewhat quick, manually shift and it would shift in under 200rpm, then boosted it changed to about 400rpm until tuner adjust some things and now it’s about 250rpm. Can only imagine with 100hp more how much worse it would be.

But anyways how much did it cost to get installed?
I paid $1200 to get everything installed but this was a buddy/cash price.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:40 PM   #82
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
The parts have been very reliable through at least 20 track days. no issues with clutch packs and shifts from 1st-4th are much quicker. Shift to 5th still sucks; if you don’t lift at high RPM/boost, the car will throw a slip code and disable ABS in the process. This happened to me 3 times yesterday at Road Atlanta. If you’re considering trans upgrades, just pony up for the clutch packs and stage 1 valve body if shift speed is important to you. Don’t bother with the stage 2, or the torque converter, unless you live life 1/4 mile at a time. The more time I spend with the torque converter, the more I want to remove and put the stock converter back in.
Why don't you like torque converter?
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 03:12 PM   #83
North_GA_FRS

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
Why don't you like torque converter?
I don't like that it locks up almost 1k RMPs later. For the purpose of boosted daily driver, it often causes some hard shifting if between no boost and full boost, and for track purposes, locking up later has no benefit.
Old 10-23-2019, 03:13 PM   #84
North_GA_FRS

Garage
Update...... third gear started slipping at Atlanta Motorsports Park this past weekend.