follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 09-28-2015, 10:00 PM   #1
Magiclow

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine Blue FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My track Setup

Hello Guys

So I have tracked 3 times this season all with the same setup, just so I could learn the car more and try to tune it to my preference.

For starters this is what I was running on my car for track.

1. KWV3 set up as per Myles recommend

front compression- back off 7 clicks from full stiff.
front rebound-back off 10 clicks from full stiff

rear compression - back off 8 clicks from full stiff.
rear rebound- back off 7 clicks from full stiff.

-1.5 camber on front and -2.0 on back wheels. 0 Toe. car lowered 1.8 inches

2. XXR 530 17x8.25 et 35 with Hankook RS3 245/40/17

3. Front and rear sways by Eibach with stock endlinks

4. Hawk HP+ Stoptech brakelines and motul dot 4

5. Takeda CAI, HKS catless front, invidia cross pipe, invidia q300 catback
Perrin Pulley, Kartboy Shortshifter.

I personally think my setup is alright, but when I was on track I just can't seem to take the corners as fast as I wished it would be. I take my lines quite aggressively, hard braking, quick turn in, car pushes a little, floor the gas. I also run on VSC sport

Issues that bothers me.

1. My tires are kinda squeaking/sliding when I am turning even on my 4th lap
2. My body roll seems pretty big considering all the shit i got on.
3. with all those engine mods I still get creamed by civics on straightaways.

Can some of you track masters please sheds some light on what I can do to improve my car or myself.

For example, would upgrading the endlinks make a difference? Should I run more aggressive camber? Any other bushings or mounts I should be looking at?

P.S I apologize for my grammar or whatever mistakes that I made.

Thank you for all your help!!!!!

Last edited by Magiclow; 09-28-2015 at 10:10 PM.
Magiclow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:16 PM   #2
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
It's really simple, here it is. You might want to sit down for this:
Your driving sucks.

It's a shock I know, I been there. Just because you dump $$ on your car it doesn't mean it's going to go faster because of said mods.

I'm 100% sure that civic has been out on the track way more than you have.
With only 3 times out at a track your a complete noob.

But don't worry there is a fix for it, and it way fun to do. Go back out ther do more track days and autox. Ask for instructors to ride with you. They will point out the mistakes you do.

Remember there are fast cars, then there are fast drivers.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mr.ac For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (09-29-2015), drewbot (09-28-2015), DustinS (09-30-2015), Icanfaptothis86 (10-20-2015), Magiclow (09-28-2015), strat61caster (09-29-2015), zdr93523 (09-30-2015)
Old 09-28-2015, 10:36 PM   #3
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
1. Those engine mods are nothing. All you have is a full exhaust, a intake, and a pulley. Chances are the civic's that are CREAMING you have the same mods AND more. Get a header and a tune and run e85. Newer civics also have 2.4 motors so they will be faster on the straight either way.
2. Camber is kind of high in the rear when compared to the front. Search alignments, usually you want more camber in the front.
3. Those pads are junk for the track. Might be good for light lapping, but not for an experienced driver.
4. Aggressive lines doesn't mean it is the fast line. You want to keep your momentum up.
5. Search Pedal dance. Ideally you don't want any electronic nannies breaking for you and slowing you down.

Best advice would be have a instructor ride along with you... and get a camera mount to record yourself driving and if possibly get some data logging.
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to swarb For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (09-29-2015), Magiclow (09-28-2015)
Old 09-28-2015, 10:45 PM   #4
drewbot
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Drives: '13 Whiteout FR-S A/T
Thanked 1,452 Times in 752 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
1. Track time

2. Track time

3. Moar camber on the front

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
drewbot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to drewbot For This Useful Post:
BlaineWasHere (10-03-2015), Racecomp Engineering (09-29-2015), strat61caster (09-29-2015)
Old 09-28-2015, 11:17 PM   #5
Magiclow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
It's really simple, here it is. You might want to sit down for this:
Your driving sucks.

It's a shock I know, I been there. Just because you dump $$ on your car it doesn't mean it's going to go faster because of said mods.

I'm 100% sure that civic has been out on the track way more than you have.
With only 3 times out at a track your a complete noob.

But don't worry there is a fix for it, and it way fun to do. Go back out ther do more track days and autox. Ask for instructors to ride with you. They will point out the mistakes you do.

Remember there are fast cars, then there are fast drivers.

Thank You for your blunt response, but is there any other recommendations you would give in-regarding about my car? as in suspension setup or engine mods? Also would you happen to know what might my problem be? Poor acceleration control? Thank you
Old 09-28-2015, 11:19 PM   #6
Magiclow

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarb View Post
1. Those engine mods are nothing. All you have is a full exhaust, a intake, and a pulley. Chances are the civic's that are CREAMING you have the same mods AND more. Get a header and a tune and run e85. Newer civics also have 2.4 motors so they will be faster on the straight either way.
2. Camber is kind of high in the rear when compared to the front. Search alignments, usually you want more camber in the front.
3. Those pads are junk for the track. Might be good for light lapping, but not for an experienced driver.
4. Aggressive lines doesn't mean it is the fast line. You want to keep your momentum up.
5. Search Pedal dance. Ideally you don't want any electronic nannies breaking for you and slowing you down.

Best advice would be have a instructor ride along with you... and get a camera mount to record yourself driving and if possibly get some data logging.
You Good Sir! Thank you for your reply! So what kind of camber would you recommend? also what pads are you using that would be a better choice?
Pedal dance might be too aggressive for me as I am still a noob, perhaps just traction off would be better? Thank You
Old 09-28-2015, 11:34 PM   #7
swarb

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magiclow View Post
You Good Sir! Thank you for your reply! So what kind of camber would you recommend? also what pads are you using that would be a better choice?
Pedal dance might be too aggressive for me as I am still a noob, perhaps just traction off would be better? Thank You
Alignment? Search and read more.
Pads? Search and read more.
Learn tire pressures also.
Maybe try traction control off, but remember it isn't 100% off. I would also suggest you make note when it turns on and off at certain points of the track and get to know the car at that limit.

An instructor would net you more time than throwing parts at it.
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 07:38 AM   #8
jvincent

Drives: 2022 WRB BRZ Sport-Tech
Thanked 1,410 Times in 715 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Piling on.

- Camber is set wrong. You want more up front. At least -2.5 if you are going to keep -2 at the rear.

- You didn't mention what your alignment for toe was.

- Squealing tires is not necessarily bad. If you are at the limit of grip they will make noise.

All that said, to echo other responses, your driving probably sucks. If you haven't ridden with an instructor do it. Also, if you have video of your track session post it up and get comments.

If you are like most beginners you are probably taking turns too tight and not letting the car run wide out of turns like it wants to. That will cost you speed.

Last edited by jvincent; 09-29-2015 at 09:21 AM.
jvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jvincent For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (09-29-2015), Magiclow (09-29-2015), strat61caster (09-29-2015)
Old 09-29-2015, 09:09 AM   #9
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
I personally think my setup is alright, but when I was on track I just can't seem to take the corners as fast as I wished it would be. I take my lines quite aggressively, hard braking, quick turn in, car pushes a little, floor the gas. I also run on VSC sport
In addition to camber, I think the bolded part above might be the problem. If you're just flooring the throttle coming out of corners in VSC sport, the car is probably cutting power keeping you from spinning.

Focus improving technique on corner exit - this will drastically improve your speeds on the following straights. I like the advice @jvincent gave above about letting the car run wide out of turns. As soon as you clip the apex, start taking out steering and adding throttle progressively. It shouldn't feel like an on-off switch.

You'll feel the car push wide as you're adding throttle. Let it carry you to the exit curbing. Also consider starting to drive without VSC as you get comfortable with car control.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
Magiclow (09-29-2015), strat61caster (09-29-2015)
Old 09-29-2015, 11:29 AM   #10
ka-t_240

The odds are most of those civics have more WHP then you, and a weight around 2100lbs(unless they are the new boats of civics). 170whp BRZ will never catch a 170whp civic in a straight line. Your speed in the straights is dependent on your corning speeds, more speed in corner = more speeds in the straights.

With leaving the VSC on, you should be COOKING the HP+(smoking pads, smell of brakes for hours ect), I did in the rain in a 15 minute session. Take the nannies off and go back to the track, start to learn your cars ability slowly now that you do not have the computer to save you, then see where you get.

Last edited by ka-t_240; 09-29-2015 at 11:41 AM.
ka-t_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ka-t_240 For This Useful Post:
Magiclow (09-29-2015)
Old 09-29-2015, 01:01 PM   #11
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:

Issues that bothers me.

1. My tires are kinda squeaking/sliding when I am turning even on my 4th lap
2. My body roll seems pretty big considering all the shit i got on.
3. with all those engine mods I still get creamed by civics on straightaways.
The bold and the italicized are mutually exclusive.

If you want to go fast, you need to back off, and calm/smooth out your driving.

1. you run a suspension setup that heavily overloads the front before the rear.
2. you're running a softer, street suspension on the track.
3. your mods essentially do nothing for power.

1a. get a rear sway bar, and run with the pedal dance.
2a. you can do both AND rear sway bars, and set the front to soft/med and the rear to med/stiff
3a. get forced induction, or run ethanol, or both.
CSG Mike is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Magiclow (09-29-2015), The Racers Line (09-29-2015)
Old 09-29-2015, 01:23 PM   #12
Magiclow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
Piling on.

- Camber is set wrong. You want more up front. At least -2.5 if you are going to keep -2 at the rear.

- You didn't mention what your alignment for toe was.

- Squealing tires is not necessarily bad. If you are at the limit of grip they will make noise.

All that said, to echo other responses, your driving probably sucks. If you haven't ridden with an instructor do it. Also, if you have video of your track session post it up and get comments.

If you are like most beginners you are probably taking turns too tight and not letting the car run wide out of turns like it wants to. That will cost you speed.
Thank you for your reply!

1. The reason I ran my camber like this is because my car was spinning out when I had traction off. So I was hoping to correct it with more neg at the back.
2. My toe is at 0 on all 4
3. I understand, It probably I am putting too much stress on the tires, than utilizing my car.
Old 09-29-2015, 01:27 PM   #13
Magiclow

Guys I just want to say thank you for all your reply.

I understand that my driving sucks a big one, and that is why I am posting here to hoping to get more info and develop myself. If you have nothing productive to say, please refrain yourself by posting pointless things, and do all of us a favor and save yourself and our time.

Thank you
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Magiclow For This Useful Post:
BBYZILA (09-30-2015), CSG Mike (09-29-2015)
Old 09-29-2015, 01:33 PM   #14
jvincent

Drives: 2022 WRB BRZ Sport-Tech
Thanked 1,410 Times in 715 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Thank you for your reply!

1. The reason I ran my camber like this is because my car was spinning out when I had traction off. So I was hoping to correct it with more neg at the back.
2. My toe is at 0 on all 4
3. I understand, It probably I am putting too much stress on the tires, than utilizing my car.
1. The correction for spin-outs is better driving. 99.999999% of the reason for a spin is because of something the driver did. I would change your suspension setup to something more normal.

2. You probably want to run a little bit of toe in.

3. Not sure exactly what you mean here but if you are over driving the tires, they will make a lot of noise and you won't be fast.

You haven't said if you have had any instruction. If not, get some. It will help you drive better a lot faster.

I would have also suggested that you approach your car setup progressively.

This was my second season on the track. Last year I started out with the stock tires, camber bolts up front, and upgraded brake pads and fluid. I have since upgraded the tires to something a little more grippy, but nothing nearly as sticky as the RS3s you are running. Next season I'll introduce coilovers and when the current tires are toast I'll move to a higher performance set, but still not RS3 levels of grip.

You need to learn to drive the car faster incrementally. The analogy I would make is that you have jumped into the deep end of the pool without first learning how to swim.
jvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jvincent For This Useful Post:
Frogamazog (10-09-2015), Magiclow (09-29-2015)