follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 05-17-2019, 10:53 AM   #113
accwai
初級成員

Drives: 2017 86, 2010 Corolla
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
[...] Few people remember the nice functional cars in college, but most people have a story that ends in laughter from pushing a buddies broken down crapheap through the snow, or visiting someone hours away with no radio, closed windows, and a taco lunch...
I had a '82 VW Rabbit Diesel in my university days. No need to push it in snow as I was being cautious and always take the battery indoors overnight.

One day towards the end, some kids were playing ball hockey in my apartment's parking lot. These kids were making bucktooth faces at me, talking loudly in gibberish and giggling amount themselves. Thinking back, I would assume that gibberish was meant to be mock Chinese. The next day, I was at a red traffic light half way to the university when a pedestrian told me one of my tires was totally flat. So that's what the strange noise was! Change to the spare and went to a tire store to try and get it patched. Too late, the sidewall was already trashed. Don't recall if I had to get new tires for both sides. That's pretty standard these days, but I don't remember back in the old days. The tire store later told me a 2" nail was straight in the tire. Nice kids!

Then a week or so later, one day I went to the car and discovered it wasn't locked. Forgot to lock it last night, not a big deal right? The stereo sounded strange though, what's going on? Later on that day, I noticed the two speakers behind the back seat were gone. How did they open the door then? A month later, I noticed a hole under the door handle next to the lock and it had already started rusting. Thanks!

Fortunately, we only paid $5k for the car. Had it been a $200k car, I surely would ask for a house to go with it. Seriously..
accwai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to accwai For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (05-17-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 11:12 AM   #114
RayRay88

Drives: 2017 86 860 Special Edition
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Not sure who this was directed at, but my post was never intended to be a soap box type deal. It's not about him doing the "right" thing or us judging him for spending the money on himself. That's not at all what I'm saying. What Im saying is I think he could find it more rewarding doing something with that money other than buying himself a $200k car. Like investing in people, his community, or broader life experiences.

There are more rewarding things in life than just fast cars, at least for me. If he doesn't agree thats fine, I wouldn't judge him at all for buying a McLaren, NSX, etc. Its not like there's a wrong or right in this. It's likely he thinks about and and decides he would get maximum satisfaction spending $200k on a car. And that's fine, especially being so young at 21. But it's worth at least considering the alternatives and giving thought to what would make him truly happy.
It was directed at the general tone in this thread, no real individual. Hence the no quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
You're absolutely right. And i think the main thing we're all on our soap boxes about is his perspective. I've worked with the homeless and the needy. I've also owned cars that i considered myself lucky they started the majority of the time. I know in the eyes of the world i am very well off.

That said, when i made the decision to buy a new car, i did seriously cross-shop a brz with a gt-r. I figured if i had to get a loan anyways, i wanted to get the best car i could. After a lot more research, i decided against the gt-r on the grounds that its more of a scalpel than a toy. Its been built to decimate everything in an environment I'll likely never put a car. Others opinion of what i drove didn't factor into it. All cars are luxury toys to me.

And that's not a bad thing, but it's not who i am because of my collective experiences. I'm happy with my choice.

But my experience is also why i recommended what i recommended- a car that could be spontaneously flipped and burned with his only regret being that he would now need to walk to the store 3 blocks away.

Few people remember the nice functional cars in college, but most people have a story that ends in laughter from pushing a buddies broken down crapheap through the snow, or visiting someone hours away with no radio, closed windows, and a taco lunch...
I agree, he definitely needs a humbling moment to bring him back to reality. In my experience here in Toronto with all the wealthy foreign families, not even crashing their super cars brings them back down. They write off the cars and buy a newer model.
RayRay88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RayRay88 For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (05-17-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 11:14 AM   #115
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayRay88 View Post
It was directed at the general tone in this thread, no real individual. Hence the no quote.

I agree, he definitely needs a humbling moment to bring him back to reality. In my experience here in Toronto with all the wealthy foreign families, not even crashing their super cars brings them back down. They write off the cars and buy a newer model.
He's never been in reality. Kinda hard to come down to reality when your reality is a dream.
Old 05-22-2019, 01:03 AM   #116
georgejxu199

Drives: 2012 BRZ prova
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseChaser View Post
And, to piggy back on that, I have no objection to anyone enjoying their money, whether accumulated through sweat equity, geneology, or just dumb luck. What got under my skin were the phrases "people I care nothing about," "people who's lives don't involve me," and,as Tcoat said, the seeming lack of comprehension as to what debt is. I didn't see a hint of gratitude towards his mother or anywhere else. To me, regardless of financial status, those clues made me very concerned about the young man's opportunity to have a happy, full life. I don't know many truly happy selfish people.

I’m not selfish. I buy my close friends things and have no problem paying for their food, alcohol or movie tickets and such when we go out in the weekends. When I see homeless people or a charity I will gladly give them some money and always have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
georgejxu199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 01:05 AM   #117
georgejxu199

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolioBenzina View Post
Get a Supra, 150 grand left for hookers and blow.

Supra isnt my taste and I’ve never been a fan of the supra. I’m more into luxurious and fast cars

Old 05-22-2019, 09:30 AM   #118
cliff

Drives: subaru brz
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgejxu199 View Post
I’m not selfish. I buy my close friends things and have no problem paying for their food, alcohol or movie tickets and such when we go out in the weekends. When I see homeless people or a charity I will gladly give them some money and always have

I bet those people would think more of you if it was Your money that You earned and was not money given to by your mother. Bless her heart she knows not what she has done!

it"s not too late for you. I think you will be better off if you have a talk with your wonderful mother and insist that she let you begin to make your own way. I'm sure your friends will think more of you also (especially the ladies). Be your own man. I don't mean to sound hateful, I just would hate to see you not find your full potential.
cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:56 AM   #119
georgejxu199

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff View Post
I bet those people would think more of you if it was Your money that You earned and was not money given to by your mother. Bless her heart she knows not what she has done!

it"s not too late for you. I think you will be better off if you have a talk with your wonderful mother and insist that she let you begin to make your own way. I'm sure your friends will think more of you also (especially the ladies). Be your own man. I don't mean to sound hateful, I just would hate to see you not find your full potential.

What? Begin to make my own way? That’s what I’m doing. I’m working towards it and that’s why I’m at university right now so I can get a good job when I graduate. My mum is happy for me and wants to buy me a good new car too. She is proud of who I am more than ever

Old 05-22-2019, 10:14 AM   #120
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
Supra isnt my taste and I’ve never been a fan of the supra. I’m more into luxurious and fast cars

You have no taste. You also have no idea what you are looking for or what you want besides status. You came to a god damn sub 30k car forum to ask about a 200k car, and you're still posting.

You don't even know what a fast car is. lol.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:14 AM   #121
accwai
初級成員

Drives: 2017 86, 2010 Corolla
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolioBenzina View Post
Get a Supra, 150 grand left for hookers and blow.
Quote:
Supra isn't the main point. The real question is whether you're into that other stuff. As for luxurious and fast cars, I'd say get a BMW X5 M. It's Born to Rule. I got stomped on in the streets by these flying pigs constantly. Get one and *everybody* will start to take you seriously. Seriously!
accwai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to accwai For This Useful Post:
Jordanwolf (05-22-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 10:38 AM   #122
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,587 Times in 2,929 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 10:42 AM   #123
georgejxu199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
You have no taste. You also have no idea what you are looking for or what you want besides status. You came to a god damn sub 30k car forum to ask about a 200k car, and you're still posting.

You don't even know what a fast car is. lol.

Just because i can afford an expensive car means I have no taste? And I’m pretty certain I know what a fast car is. Any 63 amg is fast and no one can deny that so yeah I’m pretty sure I know “fast cars”. Don’t come at me with your petty bullshit. I’m still posting because people keep replying. Apparently I can’t close a thread so there’s nothing I can do

Old 05-22-2019, 10:44 AM   #124
georgejxu199

Quote:
Originally Posted by accwai View Post
Supra isn't the main point. The real question is whether you're into that other stuff. As for luxurious and fast cars, I'd say get a BMW X5 M. It's Born to Rule. I got stomped on in the streets by these flying pigs constantly. Get one and *everybody* will start to take you seriously. Seriously!

My family already has an M4 so need need for another BMW. Plus I like the feel and handling on a Mercedes better as I’ve driven the M4 and I prefer the GLC to the X

Old 05-22-2019, 10:48 AM   #125
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,433 Times in 6,148 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Just because i can afford an expensive car means I have no taste? And I’m pretty certain I know what a fast car is. Any 63 amg is fast and no one can deny that so yeah I’m pretty sure I know “fast cars”. Don’t come at me with your petty bullshit. I’m still posting because people keep replying. Apparently I can’t close a thread so there’s nothing I can do

You can just ignore the thread?

Is it fast and luxurious because someone told you, or is it fast and luxurious because you have a large sample of what is fast or not, and what is luxurious or not?
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-22-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 11:10 AM   #126
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:

You can't afford anything, your mother can though. I don't think you know what a fast car is, just like how you don't know what debt is.

Again, you came to a $30k car forum to ask about a $200k, do you still not realize how silly that is? You may as well have went to a youtube comments section to ask about this.

Here, let's play a game. Go look up the 0-60 times for any of the 63 AMG cars, then go look at the 0-60 for the new Supra, then define to me what a fast car is.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
weederr33 (05-22-2019)