follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 11-18-2017, 03:08 PM   #1
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,674 Times in 994 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
right hip pain while driving

Okay so like 10 minutes into my drive, I start getting pain in my right hip that shoots down to my knee. I'm 32 so I'm pretty sure it's not OA. I noticed that the way I sit is kind of with my pelvis rotated slightly inward, which puts pressure onto my right hip, but it's the position I assume naturally to achieve a proper right foot position. What I'm trying to find out is if it's 1. Position of the pedals. 2. Just the way I sit. 3. Lack of support from the seat.

Has anyone encountered this issue before? Really takes away from the enjoyment of driving cause now I spend the whole time shifting around, adjusting the recline position, distance to the pedals, but nothing seems to be working. If I put my leg/foot in a position where the pain goes away, it causes the foot-pedal connection to feel awkward. Would appreciate any useful input. Thanks
StraightOuttaCanadaEh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 03:17 PM   #2
JD001

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Thanked 6,181 Times in 3,470 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I think it's the way you are sitting. Do you drive with both hands on the wheel or rest your elbow (door or centre console) as this can have an influence on your back/hip/knee relationship?
JD001 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JD001 For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (11-18-2017)
Old 11-18-2017, 03:21 PM   #3
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD001 View Post
I think it's the way you are sitting. Do you drive with both hands on the wheel or rest your elbow (door or centre console) as this can have an influence on your back/hip/knee relationship?
I rest my elbow. You think I should have both hands on the wheel?

Also I can't figure out where my heel should be, as this seems to make a big difference as well. Do you rest it between the brake and throttle or directly in front of one of them?
Old 11-18-2017, 03:36 PM   #4
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,586 Times in 2,928 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Sounds like you're putting tension on that sciatic nerve from improper posture. I'd advise sitting more straight without tilting your pelvis. You can get into a proper driving position without unnatural or lazy hip rotation.

If you find its a common occurrence even after fixing your posture, I'd suggest taking a closer look at your muscles. Haha

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 03:42 PM   #5
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
Sounds like you're putting tension on that sciatic nerve from improper posture. I'd advise sitting more straight without tilting your pelvis. You can get into a proper driving position without unnatural or lazy hip rotation.

If you find its a common occurrence even after fixing your posture, I'd suggest taking a closer look at your muscles. Haha
No I've had sciatic pain before from sitting on my wallet too much and I know what that feels like, and this isn't it. This feels like tension on the lateral tensor muscle at the hip. It connects to the right side of the knee and that's where I feel the pain as well. And the position of the hip, like I said, is dictated by my right foot. It just feels most natural to sit this way and maintain equal distance to the gas and brake
Old 11-18-2017, 03:47 PM   #6
JD001

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh View Post
I rest my elbow. You think I should have both hands on the wheel?

Also I can't figure out where my heel should be, as this seems to make a big difference as well. Do you rest it between the brake and throttle or directly in front of one of them?

Short answer: Yes. Bad posture when driving will screw with your back and hip.

Your clutch foot can be rested on the rest when not changing gears. Your throttle foot will shuffle between the gas and brake pedal. The movement between the throttle and brake should be an easy rotation.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JD001 For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (11-18-2017), weederr33 (11-18-2017)
Old 11-18-2017, 03:49 PM   #7
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD001 View Post
Short answer: Yes. Bad posture when driving will screw with your back and hip.

Your clutch foot can be rested on the rest when not changing gears. Your throttle foot will shuffle between the gas and brake pedal. The movement between the throttle and brake should be an easy rotation.
Seems to be what I'm doing. I've been doing some low and heavy squats at the gym, maybe that stirred the hornets nest a bit. Thanks for your replies
Old 11-18-2017, 03:52 PM   #8
mrspindlelegs

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S Monogram Series
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Do you drive with your wallet in your back pocket? If yes, is it the right pocket? I ran into that problem and taking the wallet out of my right back pocket helped a lot with reducing discomfort in the right hip.
Fuel Economy - Best was 37.2 mpg, Worst was 28.2 mpg
mrspindlelegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 03:56 PM   #9
JD001

Oh, one more thing: reduce the size of your wallet.. spend some cash to get into a reasonable size/weight and relocate to one of your front pockets.

Last edited by JD001; 11-18-2017 at 04:12 PM.
Old 11-18-2017, 03:56 PM   #10
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Quote:
No I've had sciatic pain before from sitting on my wallet too much and I know what that feels like, and this isn't it. This feels like tension on the lateral tensor muscle at the hip. It connects to the right side of the knee and that's where I feel the pain as well. And the position of the hip, like I said, is dictated by my right foot. It just feels most natural to sit this way and maintain equal distance to the gas and brake
Ah well then posture has to be it. And if you're hitting them gym that could exacerbate it. Especially if you're not stretching or foam rolling.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
The Following User Says Thank You to weederr33 For This Useful Post:
StraightOuttaCanadaEh (11-18-2017)
Old 11-18-2017, 03:58 PM   #11
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
Okay so like 10 minutes into my drive, I start getting pain in my right hip that shoots down to my knee. I'm 32 so I'm pretty sure it's not OA. I noticed that the way I sit is kind of with my pelvis rotated slightly inward, which puts pressure onto my right hip, but it's the position I assume naturally to achieve a proper right foot position. What I'm trying to find out is if it's 1. Position of the pedals. 2. Just the way I sit. 3. Lack of support from the seat.

Has anyone encountered this issue before? Really takes away from the enjoyment of driving cause now I spend the whole time shifting around, adjusting the recline position, distance to the pedals, but nothing seems to be working. If I put my leg/foot in a position where the pain goes away, it causes the foot-pedal connection to feel awkward. Would appreciate any useful input. Thanks
Now, I wouldn't be too sure of that .........

I have a couple of quick, inexpensive and easy things for you to try.

* cut a seat pad (just to fit the center bottom section) out of high density foam (like back packers sleep on) and place it on the seat. The cushioning just may keep your butt bone from pushing on that nerve.

* get an inexpensive seat wedge and cut it in half (long ways) and place it between the small of your back and the seat. This will shift your back slightly and maybe relieve the pressure on the troubled nerve.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
StraightOuttaCanadaEh (11-18-2017), weederr33 (11-18-2017)
Old 11-18-2017, 04:29 PM   #12
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspindlelegs View Post
Do you drive with your wallet in your back pocket? If yes, is it the right pocket? I ran into that problem and taking the wallet out of my right back pocket helped a lot with reducing discomfort in the right hip.
Nope my wallet is in the cupholder. Never on me
Old 11-18-2017, 04:31 PM   #13
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post

* cut a seat pad (just to fit the center bottom section) out of high density foam (like back packers sleep on) and place it on the seat. The cushioning just may keep your butt bone from pushing on that nerve.

* get an inexpensive seat wedge and cut it in half (long ways) and place it between the small of your back and the seat. This will shift your back slightly and maybe relieve the pressure on the troubled nerve.

humfrz
I had a feeling I would get a comment about OA from you! Haha. I'll try the seat foam thing. Thank you
Old 11-18-2017, 04:32 PM   #14
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post

humfrz
As a strength coach and personal trainer, I'd suggest this too! Or building more butt mass

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
The Following User Says Thank You to weederr33 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (11-18-2017)