follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 09-12-2015, 11:34 AM   #1
Smurfette

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Womp Womp noise after track

I'm not sure if I'm being paranoid, but my BRZ has been making womp womp noises at higher speed. For background, this started (or at least I started noticing it) after my first track day. At first, I thought it just be my car making sounds post-track. Perhaps tires?

Do you think it could be a wheel bearing, CV joint, or alignment issue, maybe related to hitting a tall cone or two? Or maybe it's a wheel weight balancing thing? For background at some point during my first track day, I did hear a pop sound. This past Thursday, I didn't really hear the womp womp noise on track too often as we were at lower speeds, but occasionally I could hear the sound.

Lastly, some FRS/BRZ enthusiasts were recommending that I upgrade the oil cooler and/or run thicker oil to avoid blowing my motor. Do you think that is necessary? I am not planning on tracking it in 100+ degree heat for a while. I primarily use this as a track toy 1-2x/month and drive it to work maybe 1-2x a week. I am currently running 0W-20 Full Synthetic Castrol or Mobile 1 (I don't know which brand, as the previous owner changed it). Thanks!
Smurfette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 01:42 PM   #2
Lunatic

Drives: 2015 Raven FRS
Thanked 1,056 Times in 488 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Yes, everyone says an oil cooler is a must for track days, and i have been recommended to go up to 30 weight oil.
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 03:02 AM   #3
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,178 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Can you record it?
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 04:10 AM   #4
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Just a few questions, are you using the same tires for the track and for daily driving? If so then that maybe your problem.
Are you still on the oem tranny/diff fluid? If so you might want to upgrade to some better I oils.

As for the oil cooler, I really don't think it's needed. Your not forced induction. If stock WRX's run fine all day at a track your car will do just as fine. I driven my turbo mr2 in 100 degree out in Willow Springs and it did fine.
People are so worried about taking their car to the track when they shouldn't. If your car is in perfect running condition, you'll have no issues.
Now some people do the mistake of not checking their cars at track so if it's starts to over heat they just keep going when they should stop and wait a few hours.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.ac For This Useful Post:
Smurfette (09-13-2015)
Old 09-13-2015, 08:02 AM   #5
jjaisli

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Firestorm
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
As for the oil cooler, I really don't think it's needed. Your not forced induction. If stock WRX's run fine all day at a track your car will do just as fine. I driven my turbo mr2 in 100 degree out in Willow Springs and it did fine.
I didn't think I needed an oil cooler until I started monitoring oil temperatures. At VIR in the spring with about 80* ambient, I was shocked (and concerned) to see I was hitting 280*+F during every session after just 3-4 laps. I started doing voluntary cool down laps after every 2-3 hard laps and that just destroys your rhythm.

I have an UEL header and a tune but I'm not FI. Granted VIR is a track where you're at WOT in 5th gear in 3 different sections. But I would say, if you intend to keep the car long term and if you're doing more than 3-4 track days per season, getting an oil cooler is really a good idea and I would highly recommend it. I don't care what the STI does, when run hard without a chance to cool down, the twins have a problem with high oil temperature. I used to think just changing my oil before and after every track event would be sufficient. But after VIR I changed my mind. If you're cooking the oil at those temperatures during every session for 2 days in a row and then driving home afterward, I think it at least has the potential to do some damage.

I can understand why people don't want to take this step. It's not exactly cheap and if your car is still new it could lead to some warranty issues. But it's better than the alternative. Since installing a Perrin oil cooler I've never run over 235*F. That said, if the car is your daily driver and you're driving in colder temperatures, it should probably be blocked off during the winter. I've noticed on cold mornings, just cursing in 6th gear, temperatures were actually too low (~165*F) and that, combined with low pressure, can also have adverse affects.
jjaisli is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jjaisli For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (09-13-2015), Deep Six (09-13-2015), Smurfette (09-13-2015), strat61caster (09-15-2015)
Old 09-13-2015, 09:48 AM   #6
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
For thw Womp Womp sound it could be just a wheel balancing weight came off. Check around the inside for a clean spot where a weight may have been

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
stevesnj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stevesnj For This Useful Post:
Smurfette (09-13-2015)
Old 09-13-2015, 09:50 AM   #7
MTeator
First 86

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Rubber build up from the track? (OPR)
Old 09-13-2015, 11:10 AM   #8
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Agree the womp womp noise could be from rubber buildup on your tires. I'd check there first.

About oil temps, you probably need a data log from your track day to tell. I was seeing 280 plus on the track. Installed a relatively small Perrin oil cooler and haven't gone past 240 F since.

Btw there are some who will say 280 plus is ok for synthetic oil, really just depends what you're comfortable with.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
Smurfette (09-13-2015)
Old 09-13-2015, 11:44 AM   #9
Smurfette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
Just a few questions, are you using the same tires for the track and for daily driving? If so then that maybe your problem.
Are you still on the oem tranny/diff fluid? If so you might want to upgrade to some better I oils.

People are so worried about taking their car to the track when they shouldn't. If your car is in perfect running condition, you'll have no issues.
Now some people do the mistake of not checking their cars at track so if it's starts to over heat they just keep going when they should stop and wait a few hours.
I am running Michelin Pilot Super Sports for track/daily use. I would consider a more aggressive tire as I pretty much only use this car for the track, but still need to drive it to/from track. No desire for a separate set of wheels! I am on the OEM tranny/diff fluid.

Yeah, I originally figured it was a rubber or wheel weight balancing issue, but then just started getting paranoid. I will go check it out with a flashlight (unfortunately do not have a jack or lift at home).

Do you think it could be a wheel bearing, CV joint, axle, or alignment issue or probably not? The car has 42K miles.
Old 09-15-2015, 01:53 PM   #10
Smurfette

Update: it was an alignment issue, toe was off, even though it drove straight! Also upgrading to Motul diff/tranny fluid.
The Following User Says Thank You to Smurfette For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (09-15-2015)