follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 05-01-2018, 09:29 PM   #15
CraigVM

Drives: Car Collector
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
When I installed my aftermarket head unit I also wanted to retain the stock look with the head unit's mic. I popped the OEM mic out and placed the new head units mic inside facing down and anchored / suspended it by little pieces of foam in the trim. Popped the trim back in the headliner and while it looked OEM sound quality for those on the other end of the conversation was terrible when driving. Then I pulled the new mic down through that opening and let it hang as I tested. Found audio quality fantastic. Looking at OEM vs. my new mic soon let me see what was happening. The OEM mic is encased with it's only opening facing down into the cab which isolates it a great deal from noise above the headliner. My new mic has openings on the side as well as at the end so it was capturing all the roof noise above the headliner.
CraigVM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CraigVM For This Useful Post:
Chimera (05-01-2018), exgladous (01-19-2024), jflogerzi (09-21-2018)
Old 03-07-2019, 03:12 AM   #16
kothetimeless

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigVM View Post
When I installed my aftermarket head unit I also wanted to retain the stock look with the head unit's mic. I popped the OEM mic out and placed the new head units mic inside facing down and anchored / suspended it by little pieces of foam in the trim. Popped the trim back in the headliner and while it looked OEM sound quality for those on the other end of the conversation was terrible when driving. Then I pulled the new mic down through that opening and let it hang as I tested. Found audio quality fantastic. Looking at OEM vs. my new mic soon let me see what was happening. The OEM mic is encased with it's only opening facing down into the cab which isolates it a great deal from noise above the headliner. My new mic has openings on the side as well as at the end so it was capturing all the roof noise above the headliner.
any luck? my set up, sending 5v to the mic made too much "data" noise in the calls
kothetimeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 09:22 PM   #17
CraigVM

Drives: Car Collector
works well

Works very well. Again, I am not using the OEM mic in any fashion, only it's bracket / grill which now houses the passive mic that came with my aftermarket HU. Are you attempting to use the OEM mic with an aftermarket HU ?
CraigVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:23 PM   #18
phanguy

Drives: Scion FR-S Ultramarine
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
My method of keeping the stock look while using aftermarket mic.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110089
phanguy is offline   Reply With Quote