follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 04-29-2013, 05:20 AM   #491
nzer

Drives: 2012 Grey TRD GT86, 2015 VW Golf R
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks @sav.

Tried the BTautopair app just now but says it is paired ok. I get two BT symbols on the screen - one top right showing the unit has BT activated and one top left when the OB-LINK is paired.

I therefore think it is the dongle as it pairs fine but when the OB-LINK goes to communicate it unpairs. Fingers crossed that's all it is. Will just have to be patient now waiting for them to arrive.

What head unit are you using now @sav?

Old 04-29-2013, 05:33 AM   #492
sav
Official anti-BS squad

Drives: Toyota 86 High 6MT
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Cool, I hope it works out. I've paired via btautopair but it was still not showing connected in BT settings. Turns out it was connected all along and Torque is working 100%.

I'm using a Parrot Asteroid Smart.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:06 AM   #493
nzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav View Post
Cool, I hope it works out. I've paired via btautopair but it was still not showing connected in BT settings. Turns out it was connected all along and Torque is working 100%.

I'm using a Parrot Asteroid Smart.
@sav is the BT completely unlocked on the Parrot Asteroid Smart so it would also work with the OB-LINK or does it run only "approved" apps or a cut down of torque like the CA-FI units.

Does it need to be rooted?

Old 04-29-2013, 06:10 AM   #494
sav
Official anti-BS squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzer View Post
@sav is the BT completely unlocked on the Parrot Asteroid Smart so it would also work with the OB-LINK or does it run only "approved" apps or a cut down of torque like the CA-FI units.

Does it need to be rooted?

Yes and no.

It doesn't need to be rooed but it doesn't allow you to search for other BT devices via settings and using apps such as BToolkit to search it sends 0000 as the default passcode. BTautopair took care of that because it allows you to enter the passcode so it should in theory be able to work with any BT device. I know for a fact the Scantool OBDLink XM works great with the Parrot. Around 60pid/sec if I remember correctly and what I also like about the Parrot is that it supports dual mode meaning you don't lose hands free when OBD is connected.

I'm running the full version of Torque Pro from the App Store.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:20 AM   #495
nzer

Quote:
Yes and no.

It doesn't need to be rooed but it doesn't allow you to search for other BT devices via settings and using apps such as BToolkit to search it sends 0000 as the default passcode. BTautopair took care of that because it allows you to enter the passcode so it should in theory be able to work with any BT device. I know for a fact the Scantool OBDLink XM works great with the Parrot. Around 60pid/sec if I remember correctly and what I also like about the Parrot is that it supports dual mode meaning you don't lose hands free when OBD is connected.

I'm running the full version of Torque Pro from the App Store.
Thanks. I had a look at it and it looked like it was only apps from the asteroid market that could be used and torque isn't on there.

So you still have access to the play store?

And, with the OB-LINK the passcode is 7181 and you reckon the BTautopair app is all it would take to pair and work - no guarantees of course, just be interested in your opinion.

Just looking at an alternative if I can't get the T7019A working perfectly.

Cheers

Old 04-29-2013, 06:24 AM   #496
sav
Official anti-BS squad

You can side load apps very easily without root. I have managed to install Play Store though but root was required for that.

I'm pretty sure Btautopair is all that's required. At first we couldn't get an ELM with passcode 1234 to connect, then tried an old one with 0000 which worked. Tried different apps with zero luck until somebody pointed out BTautopair and it's been working great since.

That is of course that the T7019A's issue is also the passcode and not bluetooth itself.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:37 AM   #497
nzer

Quote:
You can side load apps very easily without root. I have managed to install Play Store though but root was required for that.

I'm pretty sure Btautopair is all that's required. At first we couldn't get an ELM with passcode 1234 to connect, then tried an old one with 0000 which worked. Tried different apps with zero luck until somebody pointed out BTautopair and it's been working great since.

That is of course that the T7019A's issue is also the passcode and not bluetooth itself.
How do you find it without a volume knob?
Old 04-29-2013, 06:47 AM   #498
sav
Official anti-BS squad

Thought it would bother me a lot but it doesn't really. Would have preferred a volume knob but it's not a train smash.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:12 AM   #499
2forme

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,552 Times in 843 Posts
Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Garage
I finally saw a Parrot smart the other day, got a chance to play with it. It's OK. It's really cumbersome to switch between different things and the lack of volume knob really kills what could be a decent unit. I don't want to be fumbling around with a task manager to switch from GPS to Radio, especially not with driving. Also, how do you skip to the next track on an iPod while using the GPS without leaving the GPS app? That and it's also 200-300$ more...

All in all, we can only be happy to see more decent units being made! It's definitely a step in the right direction.

Also, @nzer, I did post the dongle/hub/app I used to get this working. Have you tried those?
2forme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:31 AM   #500
nzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forme View Post
I finally saw a Parrot smart the other day, got a chance to play with it. It's OK. It's really cumbersome to switch between different things and the lack of volume knob really kills what could be a decent unit. I don't want to be fumbling around with a task manager to switch from GPS to Radio, especially not with driving. Also, how do you skip to the next track on an iPod while using the GPS without leaving the GPS app? That and it's also 200-300$ more...

All in all, we can only be happy to see more decent units being made! It's definitely a step in the right direction.

Also, @nzer, I did post the dongle/hub/app I used to get this working. Have you tried those?
@2forme on the dongle/hub/app I tried finding one of the dongles from the compatible list but couldn't find where to buy any of them. I didn't see a post on the specific dongle you had - can you post a link to where I can get one? I think @Narcoden has the same one, if so I think I found it but would love to confirm.

On the hub, I didn't see a link. Would love a link to follow.

One thing I have got is the BT Quick lite app - is that the one you mean?

Old 04-29-2013, 08:37 AM   #501
sav
Official anti-BS squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forme View Post
Also, how do you skip to the next track on an iPod while using the GPS without leaving the GPS app?
Swipe down, skip.

I've been using it for almost 2 months now and to be honest I don't find it that cumbersome, first price would be physical buttons though.

I love the fact that it doesn't reboot when you start the car and it keeps state for 20mins after you switch the ignition off. That's what annoyed me most about the android 4 radio I had before.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:54 AM   #502
2forme

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,552 Times in 843 Posts
Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Swipe down, skip.

I've been using it for almost 2 months now and to be honest I don't find it that cumbersome, first price would be physical buttons though.

I love the fact that it doesn't reboot when you start the car and it keeps state for 20mins after you switch the ignition off. That's what annoyed me most about the android 4 radio I had before.
That would kill my battery. Hell my battery dies if I don't drive the car for a week. That's even with my radio stuff disconnected.

How do you swap from Radio to iPod, or SD, then back to GPS without running through a task manager? Are there dedicated swipes for those? What happens when you're in an app that uses its own scrolling swipes?

I think the happy medium should be a decent size screen with a limited number of dedicated buttons for main functions. I think the unit @nzer has, is just that. At least for the time being. Bonus that it fits perfectly and clips right in.

Also, @nzer, here are the items I used....

USB HUB: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Connectland-CL-U2MNHUB-4B-Ports-V2-0-Black/dp/B0028Y4F4S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1367240008&sr=8-2&keywords=usb+hub"]Amazon.com: Connectland CL-U2MNHUB-4B 4 Ports USB V2.0 Mini Hub (Black): Electronics[/ame]

Bluetooth: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-2-4GHz-Bluetooth-Adapter-Notebook/dp/B000LY58QQ/ref=sr_1_13?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1367240047&s r=1-13&keywords=bluetooth+usb"]Amazon.com: Wireless USB 2.4GHz Bluetooth 2.0 Dongle Adapter for PC Laptop Notebook: Electronics[/ame]

Hope that helps. You're close, just hang in there...

Last edited by 2forme; 04-29-2013 at 09:28 AM.
2forme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2forme For This Useful Post:
nzer (04-29-2013)
Old 04-29-2013, 09:07 AM   #503
nzer

Thanks @2forme

That's the dongle I have on the way.

Didn't see that hub you had so went with the one @Narcoden has here [ame="http://www.amazon.com/CABLES-4-port-cable-USBa-USBb/dp/B005ESNKQO/"]Amazon.com: CABLES TO GO 4-port USB hub cable USBa & USBb: Electronics[/ame]

Hopefully it will do the trick and if not I'll try the one you suggest.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:32 AM   #504
Jeff86

Drives: 86 (FR-S)
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
So has everyone been able to get the stock rear speakers functional with fade on these units. @nzer was having problems with that.
Jeff86 is offline   Reply With Quote