follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 07-18-2011, 02:30 PM   #43
MiguelAE86

Drives: NB Miata
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by madfast View Post
cool story bro.

you're one of the reasons why this car is a scion. a relatively cheap sports coupe, with enough street cred to still be cool, is going to appeal to a lot of young people just like you.
Which is exactly what i hoped for! and seriously, I was just trying to explain some passion, i'm just like that about this car and the AE86! besides, if a man is to cry, what better gearhead-reason than a car? :happy0180:
MiguelAE86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:31 PM   #44
dominican
Lude Dude

Drives: 1998 Honda Prelude
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiguelAE86 View Post
Wow, this almost brought a tear to my eye. I knew this day would come, and i never doubted Toyota from the beggining test mules that this, to me, a 16 year old in which his FAVORITE car in the world, is the AE86 (believe it or not) and that one day i would have it one day, this is just the next big thing. Thank you Toyota from the bottom of my heart!

I'll explain why the AE86 is still my favorite car to this day, it has sentimental value to it. Here's the story. Ever since i was 14, i watched initial D, researched the car to hell, spent HOURS of my life just reading about the car, watching videos, hunting it down here in South florida looking for one and the few i found where either overpriced or just not right. So one day, i was still 14, i went to a local parkinglot car show they have every friday, and there it was, a MINT, Original, Red AE86, it was perfect, my heart sank. I approached the car with the biggest smile on my face, and i litterally left my dad to see the other cars and i stood there, just mesmerized, looking at it for what seemed like eternity, and the owner came up to me, he was 16! that alone gave me SO much hope, maybe one day i can have one myself! he said he's seen how i look at it, and told me to sit in it, and what happened next will remain with me forever, i was in a red, mint, AE86 hatchback with everything inside just spotless. I swear to all of you reading this, i started to just...Cry. I had tears running down my cheeks and this feeling that i cant get from any other thing in the world. I was crying, and laughing at the same time, they were tears of pure joy, and i havn't even been old enough to drive it, and the car wasn't even mine.

So i thank you Toyota, for giving this 16 year old a grasp of that moment and a load of hope.

I for one like that you are this passionate about your car. I wish there were more people like you.
dominican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:33 PM   #45
MiguelAE86

I've never met any other 16 year old that's like this about cars if im honest! but thank you, i try to spread the car love among my friends and they've learned a lot since they have to put up with me!
Old 07-18-2011, 02:34 PM   #46
zigzagz94
BRZerhood Lurker #13

Drives: 15 DGM BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRnold View Post
I've owned several Yamaha's and their engines sing pure bliss! Yamaha=

No CD player, hopefully this thing can meet the target weight of 2600 or bust!
zigzagz94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:40 PM   #47
madfast

Drives: 2010 Evo X MR-T
so the thinking goes like this: if they paid attention enough to things like making sure you dont have to hack up your dash to install a cage, then things that we were all scared about, like weight, should be an obvious priority. mentions about how they tried different bushings for better steering feel? how does that not make you excited about this car? after reading this, a lot of my fears have been quelled...
madfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:43 PM   #48
MiguelAE86

Quote:
so the thinking goes like this: if they paid attention enough to things like making sure you dont have to hack up your dash to install a cage, then things that we were all scared about, like weight, should be an obvious priority. talk about how they tried different bushings for better steering feel? how does that not make you excited about this car?
Exactly! I, for one, hope that the steering wheel has this same 3-spoke shape (i dont mean EXACTLY the same, but among these lines) of the Original 86, i simply love these simple 3-spoke steering wheels!

Old 07-18-2011, 02:45 PM   #49
dominican
Lude Dude

Quote:
so the thinking goes like this: if they paid attention enough to things like making sure you dont have to hack up your dash to install a cage, then things that we were all scared about, like weight, should be an obvious priority. talk about how they tried different bushings for better steering feel? how does that not make you excited about this car?
To be honest, every automaker does this, they test and test, changing things here and there. The main reason to be excited is the fact that they are so focused on steering feel, excitement, and enjoyment. They are cutting cost with the removal of the CD player, as well as the nav screen. They may also cut some materials cost with the cut off dash. These things also add lightness. Baxically, remove weight, simplify, add power. Colin Chapman thought like this, and it is the best combination for a car.

I've put off my car buying for this car. I hope it's worth it.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:46 PM   #50
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
i dunno about that. why would they have to re-cast anything if the FB cast already exists? or if they were the same, then why not just says its the FB block or based on the FB block?

add into this the long standing rumor that the next WRX will use a version of the FT engine and the idea of a whole new EJ based engine is not out of the realm of possibility...

if you look at the FB, its full of economy car ideas and i was scared of what would happen to the FT if they used it. or how much they would have to change to make it a proper sporting engine... but to re-cast the proven EJ engine, to make it up to date, for the FT and possibly the next WRX??? makes perfect sense...
Because the FB20 is a recast/redesign version of the EJ series. The reason for all the economy car ideas is just that, the current FB20 is the economy car version. It's been mentioned before that the FT86 is going to get a high output version of the new SUBARU engine so anything else is just wishful thinking. The FB is 8 years ahead of the old EJ, I wouldn't even suggest that they would or could use it in a new car.

And the WRX/STI engine isn't due out until at least 2014 so don't get the rumors confused with the facts. It's also going to be a 1.6L so chew on that for awhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
Daily Driver, occasional weekend drifter.
Allch Chcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:47 PM   #51
dominican
Lude Dude

Quote:
Exactly! I, for one, hope that the steering wheel has this same 3-spoke shape (i dont mean EXACTLY the same, but among these lines) of the Original 86, i simply love these simple 3-spoke steering wheels!

E30 M3, E39 M5, S2000. Three cars in my top 5, have very similar steering wheels. I agree with you here.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:54 PM   #52
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominican View Post
E30 M3, E39 M5, S2000. Three cars in my top 5, have very similar steering wheels. I agree with you here.
I'm a little bias but I think the best looking oem 3 spoke steering wheel (with an air bag) was from the Type R. Hopefully they'll add this amount of detail, perforated grips are a must->

Old 07-18-2011, 02:59 PM   #53
madfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allch Chcar View Post
Because the FB20 is a recast/redesign version of the EJ series. The reason for all the economy car ideas is just that, the current FB20 is the economy car version. It's been mentioned before that the FT86 is going to get a high output version of the new SUBARU engine so anything else is just wishful thinking. The FB is 8 years ahead of the old EJ, I wouldn't even suggest that they would or could use it in a new car.

And the WRX/STI engine isn't due out until at least 2014 so don't get the rumors confused with the facts. It's also going to be a 1.6L so chew on that for awhile.
like i said. why go through all the trouble of saying its a recast EJ if it is in fact just a FB block or even a reworked FB block? as if he didnt know the FB existed?

anyways, just sayin... could be dancing around with words so as not to reveal too much...
Old 07-18-2011, 03:01 PM   #54
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
like i said. why go through all the trouble of saying its a recast EJ if it is in fact just a FB block or even a reworked FB block? as if he didnt know the FB existed?

anyways, just sayin... could be dancing around with words so as not to reveal too much...

Or it could be disinformation.
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:06 PM   #55
madfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzformer View Post
Or it could be disinformation.
true. but its coming from an enthusiast, who runs an enthusiast website, personally invited to a small media dinner. pictures of the final production car were revealed to them, and they had a 4 hour talk. what makes me think its disinformation? vs magazine/online articles from months maybe years ago?

has toyota/subaru ever said outright that its the FB? subaru flat 4 can mean just about anything...
Old 07-18-2011, 03:06 PM   #56
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
I can already see this thread turning downhill.
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote