follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List
go_a_way1, MisterSheep

Old 01-05-2016, 05:07 PM   #99
RobertPaulson
Hisnamewasrobertpaulson

Drives: 2017 Golf R
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmorris8848 View Post
Now my take on the situation, I tip regardless of service and around 30% average of the price of the meal. But tipping is also not just for wait staff. You're supposed to tip your barber/hair dresser, masseuse, and other personnel that offer a physical service to you personally. I've never received a massage myself, but I do tip my hair dresser regularly. Just an FYI
I hate tipping my hair dresser, i never know what to leave, so its usually 2-3 bucks which i know is only like 10% but half the time they screwed up my haircut anyway.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:08 PM   #100
Tectoniic
#FiftyShadesOfBlue

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Thanked 1,425 Times in 730 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertPaulson View Post
for tipping itself, as someone who's worked in the industry, who has many friends still in the industry, i tip right around 20% for good service. bad service gets about 10% and a chat with the manager, amazing service gets what i feel it deserves and a chat with the manager to ensure the above and beyond effort doesn't go unnoticed.
I rarely ever talk to a manager if the service was bad but I try to make a point if the service was good. I think it was already mentioned in the thread but most managers are probably used to listening to only complaints and I really do appreciate when someone provides good service, who knows it also might save that person if they have a bad day and receive some complaints.

EDIT: just reminded me of a tipping story. It still makes me feel like a scumbag but I have never had something like this happen before.

I was at a local wing place with my buddy. We each had about $35 bill pre-tip. Our waitress was horrible. She was impatient, never checked/refill drinks, and was rude when she was actually at the table(food was still good tho!). I normally tip between 15-20% or a little more even if the service is not that good as that was just how I was raised. In this case I left a 5% tip just because she still brought the food.

She was a table over from us when we were leaving and I heard her say "Seriously?!" upon picking up our bills. I walked back over to the table, took the receipt, crossed out the tip and put $0.00 and signed next to it. I'm hoping I never have to do that again because it still makes me feel shitty but hopefully it got the point across.

Last edited by Tectoniic; 01-05-2016 at 05:20 PM.
Tectoniic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tectoniic For This Useful Post:
RobertPaulson (01-05-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 05:12 PM   #101
Cmorris8848

Drives: CWP 2015 BRZ Stock
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
I hate tipping my hair dresser, i never know what to leave, so its usually 2-3 bucks which i know is only like 10% but half the time they screwed up my haircut anyway.
My hairdresser now uses the square card reader, and I just always tap the highest percentage tip. Used to tip $5 to my old hairdresser, but I also had a thing for her too haha
Cmorris8848 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cmorris8848 For This Useful Post:
RobertPaulson (01-05-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 05:14 PM   #102
RobertPaulson
Hisnamewasrobertpaulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tectoniic View Post
I rarely ever talk to a manager if the service was bad but I try to make a point if the service was good. I think it was already mentioned in the thread but most managers are probably used to listening to only complaints and I really do appreciate when someone provides good service, who knows it also might save that person if they have a bad day and receive some complaints.
I rarely get what i consider as bad service, i think being in the industry i'm more accepting of just ok service knowing that hey, some people are just not good at it, or aren't having a great day. doens't mean it was bad, just means they got like 10/15% and i probably won't sit in their section should i choose to frequent that establishment again.

I consider bad service as someone who is rude to customer (not just mine), completely inattentive to their tables (again not just mine) unable to communicate well (example kitchen is slammed or there's some problem causing delays, come tell me about this so i'm not sitting expecting something to come sooner than it will, and don't make me ask you 3 times what's taking so long) or repeatedly getting an order wrong.

i've honestly had to talk to a manager all of 3 times for bad service. Great/amazing service however i can't even count and i know the managers are always happy to get the good feedback.
Ultramaroon (01-05-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 05:14 PM   #103
RobertPaulson
Hisnamewasrobertpaulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmorris8848 View Post
My hairdresser now uses the square card reader, and I just always tap the highest percentage tip. Used to tip $5 to my old hairdresser, but I also had a thing for her too haha
i keep getting fat chicks who give terrible haircuts, i really should write down the name to the cute ones and make an appointment.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:03 PM   #104
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,522 Times in 18,923 Posts
Mentioned: 1107 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
i've honestly had to talk to a manager all of 3 times for bad service. Great/amazing service however i can't even count and i know the managers are always happy to get the good feedback.
Yeah, in my post it sounded like I talk to managers all the time. I've done it exactly once when, after a polite question, a waiter threw back a defensive snippy comment in front of 5 of my colleagues.

Turns out he was a trainee and the manager was aghast upon hearing the details. I can't recall another time when I had any service that wasn't at least adequate. I think it just boils down to human interaction....OH! I just remembered one of my favorite quotes of all time.

"A person who is nice to you but is rude to the waiter is not a nice person." - Dave Barry
Old 01-05-2016, 11:32 PM   #105
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Yeah, in my post it sounded like I talk to managers all the time. I've done it exactly once when, after a polite question, a waiter threw back a defensive snippy comment in front of 5 of my colleagues.

Turns out he was a trainee and the manager was aghast upon hearing the details. I can't recall another time when I had any service that wasn't at least adequate. I think it just boils down to human interaction....OH! I just remembered one of my favorite quotes of all time.

"A person who is nice to you but is rude to the waiter is not a nice person." - Dave Barry
Never, have I ever been rude to a waiter. Even when I've had problems. Which, really, for the most part I let go of quickly, because the tip reflects that.

Except once when I was out west. My co-workers and I were out for a dinner after a very long day. 16 hours in the hot ass Alberta semi-desert sun. All we wanted was a god damn pitcher of beer. She brought the wrong kind of beer twice, and we re-ordered for a final time. When she brought the third pitcher out, she made some snarky comment, along with mentioning that the 2 other pitchers were going to come out of her pay (can't even remember what the exact comment was, to be honest) but it really rubbed me the wrong way. I very subtly inferred that she was extremely incompetent and then asked for the manager. She stormed off in a huff, my co-workers and I explained the situation and we left with a free dinner and 3 free pitchers.

Like I said, even when I've had problems with my meal I rarely ever (maybe done it 2 or 3 times in my life) say anything, I just deal with it and move on. If it's something in the waitstaff's control, tip reflects it (IE: I don't like tomatoes. I like ketchup, tomato sauce, pizza sauce and I'm so-so with them in chili. If I ask for a burger with no tomato, then I fully expect there to not be tomato on the burger when it gets to the table. If it's there, I pick it off, and take some % off the tip). If it's not in the waitstaff's control, such as the restaurant being super busy, so it takes a bit longer to get the food, no big deal. I don't lead a very busy or interesting life, so that just keeps me out of the house for 20 extra minutes.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cole For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (01-06-2016)
Old 01-06-2016, 12:00 AM   #106
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
Never, have I ever been rude to a waiter. Even when I've had problems. Which, really, for the most part I let go of quickly, because the tip reflects that.
Yeah but have you ever seen or had to deal with an entitled douchebag who likes you? It's much worse being immersed in the hypocrisy than to witness from afar.

Dave Barry's quote really does it for me.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:31 AM   #107
Cole
Not a troll

Quote:
Yeah but have you ever seen or had to deal with an entitled douchebag who likes you? It's much worse being immersed in the hypocrisy than to witness from afar.

Dave Barry's quote really does it for me.
Nah. Try not to associate with those kinds of people. If anything, I'm the douchebag, just not all that entitled. Self-made blue collar guy and all that.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:36 AM   #108
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Nah. Try not to associate with those kinds of people. If anything, I'm the douchebag, just not all that entitled. Self-made blue collar guy and all that.
Self-made douchebaggery is fine. Trust-fund or old-money douchebaggery is unbearable.
Old 01-06-2016, 02:36 AM   #109
RobertPaulson
Hisnamewasrobertpaulson

Quote:
....OH! I just remembered one of my favorite quotes of all time.

I've asked a date to leave once because she was rude to the bartender. Bartender bought me a beer as a thank you.
TheVoiceOfReason (01-06-2016), Ultramaroon (01-06-2016)
Old 01-06-2016, 04:12 AM   #110
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,480 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I've been rude on accident, when it was pointed out to me I made sure to leave a 20% tip, goddamn social ineptness... Apologies to all those who will never read this for when I'm an asshole without someone pointing it out to me.

In relation to the thread topic, I'd be happy if tipping was abolished, I'd still throw spare change in the jar and round up on bills for the really good ones which imo is rare as I always run out of fucking water...

I had one buddy give the waiter an extremely condescending request after waiting 20 minutes for drinks and to order, not even a particularly busy day. Couldn't blame him, but not how I would have handled it, again compensated by tipping well.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Cole (01-06-2016)
Old 01-06-2016, 10:21 AM   #111
904FRSlow

Drives: '13 FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

Except once when I was out west. My co-workers and I were out for a dinner after a very long day. 16 hours in the hot ass Alberta semi-desert sun. All we wanted was a god damn pitcher of beer. She brought the wrong kind of beer twice, and we re-ordered for a final time. When she brought the third pitcher out, she made some snarky comment, along with mentioning that the 2 other pitchers were going to come out of her pay (can't even remember what the exact comment was, to be honest) but it really rubbed me the wrong way. I very subtly inferred that she was extremely incompetent and then asked for the manager. She stormed off in a huff, my co-workers and I explained the situation and we left with a free dinner and 3 free pitchers.

Like I said, even when I've had problems with my meal I rarely ever (maybe done it 2 or 3 times in my life) say anything, I just deal with it and move on. If it's something in the waitstaff's control, tip reflects it (IE: I don't like tomatoes. I like ketchup, tomato sauce, pizza sauce and I'm so-so with them in chili. If I ask for a burger with no tomato, then I fully expect there to not be tomato on the burger when it gets to the table. If it's there, I pick it off, and take some % off the tip). If it's not in the waitstaff's control, such as the restaurant being super busy, so it takes a bit longer to get the food, no big deal. I don't lead a very busy or interesting life, so that just keeps me out of the house for 20 extra minutes.
Sometimes(most times actually), its the cooks fault who didn't read all the notes. So for example, they put the tomatos in.. I'm not going to open your burger just to check unless you want my hands all over your food. I work as a server and sometimes when I put sauce on the side, the cooks ignore it and tell me to take it anyways and see if they say anything. So yeah... not always the servers fault
904FRSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 904FRSlow For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-06-2016), Ultramaroon (01-06-2016)
Old 01-06-2016, 10:24 AM   #112
Cole
Not a troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by 904FRSlow View Post
Sometimes(most times actually), its the cooks fault who didn't read all the notes. So for example, they put the tomatos in.. I'm not going to open your burger just to check unless you want my hands all over your food. I work as a server and sometimes when I put sauce on the side, the cooks ignore it and tell me to take it anyways and see if they say anything. So yeah... not always the servers fault
So, in the case of someone who is allergic then, do the cooks still just say "Ah, fuck it!"? Seems like you need to explain to your cooks that pulling that shit is absolutely unacceptable.

Tags
don't skimp on the pate, just the tip, oh man, tag b4 lock