follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-06-2017, 10:12 PM   #155
Lunatic

Drives: 2015 Raven FRS
Thanked 1,056 Times in 488 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Just an up date. After installing my supercharger I had so much stacked up in front of the radiator I moved my engine and transmission coolers outward behind the now removed fog lights.
Attached Images

Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunatic For This Useful Post:
Lonewolf (05-27-2018), Tristor (04-30-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 02:41 PM   #156
majixmatrix
BRZ Wannabee

Drives: 2013 Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic View Post
Just an up date. After installing my supercharger I had so much stacked up in front of the radiator I moved my engine and transmission coolers outward behind the now removed fog lights.
Dang this is a sick setup! How do your temperatures look?

Has anybody explored the addition of airflow like a fan on the stock AT cooler? Would that get you anywhere?
majixmatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to majixmatrix For This Useful Post:
Tristor (04-30-2018)
Old 03-17-2018, 02:28 PM   #157
jeschris45

Drives: Yellow FR-S Rs 1.0
Hey guys,

Was wondering what is the fluid direction of the lines from the transmission/auxiliary cooler? I had my trans cooler installed and looks like I am getting some abnormal noises from the lines. Just want to make sure it is routed correctly.
jeschris45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:47 AM   #158
KDad2

Drives: 2013 Raven
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quick question: Is the hose from the auxiliary oil cooler and from the transmission the same sized 3/8" ID?
KDad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 01:23 PM   #159
shr133

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Trans fluid lines are 3/8...
Enkei TS9 18 X 8, Michelin Sport 4S 225 40 18, Flex Fuel, Edelbrock Supercharger, P & L header, Nameless front pipe, V1 cat back, Aluminum Driveshaft, pvc delete, med duck bill, KW V3, Whiteline 20 and 18 mm bars, Buddy Club and SPL control arms, Toe Arms, motor and trans mounts, Whiteline bushings, SHR stage II tune.
shr133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 02:37 PM   #160
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by majixmatrix View Post
Dang this is a sick setup! How do your temperatures look?

Has anybody explored the addition of airflow like a fan on the stock AT cooler? Would that get you anywhere?
I'm sure the stock AT cooler is just a heat exchanger based off the engine coolant
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
KDad2 (05-26-2018)
Old 05-26-2018, 03:39 PM   #161
shr133

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlowell View Post
I had the car up in the air today doing some prep for Buttonwillow and took a picture of the oil cooler connection points. This is looking from the front towards the stock cooler.

I also decided to cut some slits in my fender liner like suggested. I just cut some horizontal lines with some small vertical cuts on the end. The middle part ended up popping out which provides protection from debris while letting air escape out the top and bottom. Not the prettiest but hopefully functional. Again, Sithspawn's work is no doubt going to be better

From my truck I learned these units both heats and cools, the coolant is running around 190 so trans is already too hot just normal operating. My truck I bypass the radiator and added another cooler no more problems..

I disconnect the "coolant lines" and just run the cooler. Seams ok for street use non boosted so far. Stock it would get hot after a few hard launches.

I also flushed and went full synthetic redline mix of dextron IV "D6" and Dextron III "D4", the stock fluid heats up really quick the redline holds up much better and shifts harder.

For track days I will need a to add a cooler...
Enkei TS9 18 X 8, Michelin Sport 4S 225 40 18, Flex Fuel, Edelbrock Supercharger, P & L header, Nameless front pipe, V1 cat back, Aluminum Driveshaft, pvc delete, med duck bill, KW V3, Whiteline 20 and 18 mm bars, Buddy Club and SPL control arms, Toe Arms, motor and trans mounts, Whiteline bushings, SHR stage II tune.
shr133 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shr133 For This Useful Post:
KDad2 (05-26-2018)
Old 05-26-2018, 05:33 PM   #162
KDad2

Drives: 2013 Raven
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shr133 View Post
Trans fluid lines are 3/8...
Awesome! I think I'm good to go then. Not a bad idea on the bypass.
KDad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:11 AM   #163
seekerof86

Drives: 13' FRS
Question

So I'm thinking of adding a cooler to my dd/couple times a year track day car. I plan on running some open track days mostly and need a cooler that will be up to task. I saw the stark performance setup and I'm wondering if a bigger cooler wouldn't be better? Say a 6 25 row setup. I'm guessing that it won't fit behind the fog lamps/right side of bumper? I won't be running FI so I do have space in center bumper. What do you guys think? Anyone running a bigger cooler?

Thanks
seekerof86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 10:16 PM   #164
seekerof86

Drives: 13' FRS
Guys,

Does anyone have the manual for stark performance cooler, the installation guide?

Thanks
Old 07-06-2019, 08:03 PM   #165
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by seekerof86 View Post
Guys,

Does anyone have the manual for stark performance cooler, the installation guide?

Thanks
I'm not sure how active he is anymore but have you tried contacting him here:

https://www.facebook.com/StarkPerformanceParts/
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 04:02 PM   #166
Tristor

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
He's been active on the Forums and assisted me. You can also see my installation in my build thread, I also wrote a thorough DIY guide on the fluid exchange protocol.
Tristor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tristor For This Useful Post:
Lonewolf (07-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 03:24 PM   #167
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristor View Post
He's been active on the Forums and assisted me. You can also see my installation in my build thread, I also wrote a thorough DIY guide on the fluid exchange protocol.

Would you mind linking those threads?
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 08:19 PM   #168
Tristor

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
Would you mind linking those threads?
Looks like you found one of the threads already. The other was more of a question thread I linked from my build thread that discusses mounting the inline thermostat. Personally, given the fact I'm located in South Texas, I regret using the thermostat because it's one additional item to think about which is not really necessary in my climate. In your climate though it might be essential. http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129845

You can use my DIY thread which was spawned out of the above as well to get details on how to do the fluid changeover. I recommend Redline D6 ATF. Despite being a bit of an AMSOil fanboy, I found that the Redline D6 ATF worked the best under track use. Similarly I found that the Motul Gear 300 worked best in the diff over the AMSOil under track use. I believe AMSOil is more formulated for the types of high loads on diffs/ATs that occur from towing vs racetrack usage. Redline/Motul seem more oriented towards track usage and my butt dyno/datalogs seem to evidence that. I still run AMSOil for my engine oil.

Also in another old ATF thread there's a quick n dirty guide on how to "flush" your AT. Never ever hook an AT up to a pressurized flush machine, these things are bad news. Instead you can "flush" it using the lines you have to pull from the factory AT heat exchanger to install your Stark Performance ATF cooler anyway. I didn't do this since my car was so new, but if you want to, I'd recommend doing a full fluid flush, then finishing the ATF cooler install, and then adding additional fluid for another PRNDM cycle before doing the leveling procedure to ensure you can fill the cooler (if you use the thermostat you'll need to get the AT up to temp to open the thermostat and then let the car cool before leveling).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Freddy View Post
Also, this is a great way to flush your ATF. I distrust those flush machines since some of them can damage your trans. Simply drain the trans and refill. This will change roughly 1/2 of the total ATF. Next disconnect the line leading from the external cooler to the trans and route it to a suitable empty container. Start the engine and let the trans pump out 2 qts of old ATF. Stop engine, add 2 qts new ATF and repeat until new ATF enters container. You should see a distinct color change. If not, go by the quantity drained/added. This method achieves a complete flush and can be done anywhere in about an hour.
Hope all of the above helps. If you have questions, you can just DM me. Not many AT owners that actually drive their cars, so there's not as much information out there.
Tristor is offline   Reply With Quote