follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 11-18-2014, 07:01 PM   #85
Mikeez
Engineering Student

Drives: Scion FR-S 2015
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
The 1000s and the walbro 485 are in! My buddy just grenaded an ej25 over 400whp because the factory wiring died while using a 485 so mine was hardwired. Car made good power and seemed to be stable and reliable now. Then another lean condition. Now an idle issue and a dtc. Now its running hot.

Hardwiring caused a po230 code(fuel pump voltage) and when turned off in ecutek the cams stopped advancing. So we left the light on.
Idle issues were because a walbro 485 hardwired is too much for the factory regulator to handle. Oh and both fans just died. Ahhh!
I got it home and removed the upper radiator mounts and trimmed the factory shroud violently until it fit. Somehow.

Car drove pretty well and made a lot of torque spooling nicely. But still had some teething problems. Mainly the fuelpump and po230 code. With a check engine light on you lose your cruise control by the way.

I called lj at fulblown and walbro. Turns out when I initially checked my pump voltage it was at 8.6 which I thought was from resistance. Turns out the pump is voltage controlled! I ripped out the hardwired relay and the dtc is gone and the car runs buttery smooth.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

You fixed the problem (po230) by ripping out the relay of the fuel pump? I don't get how this happened, like a small voltage was going through the fuel pump or something? Did the DTC go away by itself or you had to connect to an ecutek?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabocx View Post
So 485 is mandatory for that much? Guess my 255 isn't going to cut it :/

Sweet build!

I thought FBM comes with an 270 Fuel Pump??

Quote:
I'm pretty happy with the torque. Less of it would actually make me faster. I have traction issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

What are the traction isues? You are running 15psi? Whos your tune?

Quote:
Had inconsistent vacuum running so many T fittings that resulted in some BOV flutter at part throttle boost. I knew from the start I needed to clean up my vacuum situation but with no time off and chasing fuel system issues it wasn't priority.

I was going to drill and tap the coolant distribution blocks FullBlown send with their kit since I don't use them but I couldn't get barb to NPT fitting locally.

Then I got vacation time! So I overnighted parts from japan. (that's what I say when I take the ducati 2 hours to summit racing) I picked up a vibrant vaccum manifold, some 1/2 inch hose, some 1/4 inch hose, 1/2 and 1/4 inch barb to 3/8 and 1/8 npt fittings. Ran a 1/2 in hose form the vacuum port on the top of the manifold and put the vacuum distro block on the passenger side strut brace. Mounted the FullBlown MBC to the front of the alternator cover with some zipties. No longer is my BOV t'd into my MBC vacuum source.

Problem solved. Problem staying solved.

Though I would like to try a lighter BOV spring at some point. Im currently running the brown spring which should be the stiffest spring they make.

What is vaccuming, what does it do :3??

Quote:
Car was hit by a drunk driver. All parts have been ordered and there is no structural damage. Just hood, fender, bumpercover, grill etc.

Car also goes back on the dyno in the mean time to smooth out the tune.

While im waiting I pulled the ducati out of its slumber!

I am sorry, who tuned you this time or whos the best tune you had?
Mikeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:50 PM   #86
Reaper
in orbe terrum non visi

Drives: violent
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
You need someone to sit you down and teach you how a car works before you start asking questions on the Internet.
shifter907 (12-02-2014)
Old 11-19-2014, 09:25 AM   #87
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
You need someone to sit you down and teach you how a car works before you start asking questions on the Internet.
Go easy on him bro.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:44 AM   #88
s2d4

Drives: R32 GTR, AW11 MR2 SC, GTS86 R
Thanked 1,223 Times in 708 Posts
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Haha, I feel the same way so please don't get offended but I thought of this when I read your post.

You need someone to sit you down and teach you how "internet' works before you start answering questions on the forum.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:09 PM   #89
Reaper
in orbe terrum non visi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeez View Post
You fixed the problem (po230) by ripping out the relay of the fuel pump? I don't get how this happened, like a small voltage was going through the fuel pump or something? Did the DTC go away by itself or you had to connect to an ecutek?

I fixed the problem by removing the "hardwire". Hard wiring a fuel pump ensures constant voltage and constant flow. Sometimes larger fuel pumps draw more electricity than the stock wiring can handle and that's why you do this. But in our case the fuel pumps voltage varies by a fuel pump controller. It actually spins the pump at different speeds depending on a few variables and hard wiring confused it.

I thought FBM comes with an 270 Fuel Pump??

It can. It's an option on the website. But it's technically not ethanol rated. Which means it probably has brass in it which e85 can corode. No one had reported a problem yet but the 485 Walbro is a very nice pump that is e85 rated and gives me room to grow.

What are the traction isues? You are running 15psi? Whos your tune?

My tune was done by one of the best tuners in the gtr industry who personally owns a brz. 390+wtq will spin 4th gear on the highway.

What is vaccuming, what does it do :3??

It operates the BOV and Wastegate. the bov is notoriously hard to tune on these cars do to a higher than usual vacuum. Alot of connectors and "T's" in the line can cause inconsistent vacuum which affects when the BOV opens.

I am sorry, who tuned you this time or whos the best tune you had?

Best tune I had was 440 ish whp. It was spinning on the dyno showing 425whp. Power comes on smoother and is more controllable. At 460whp and 393 wtq there was and lot more timing and the boost came on absurdly quick. Spinning 1st through 4th as soon as it spooled.
there.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:37 AM   #90
Mikeez
Engineering Student

Drives: Scion FR-S 2015
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
Go easy on him bro.

Kind heart .

Quote:
there.
Thanks read and understood, . I appreciate your time
Mikeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 11:33 AM   #91
Darryljr11
Sideways and Smiling!

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Are you still using the stock transmission with a cooler?
Darryljr11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 10:17 PM   #92
Reaper
in orbe terrum non visi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryljr11 View Post
Are you still using the stock transmission with a cooler?

no cooler. I didnt end up having temp problems im just shearing 4th. Working with a vendor on a possible fix. If none is found im putting in a sequential.
ATL BRZ (05-07-2015), Creole (05-23-2015)
Old 05-07-2015, 11:03 AM   #93
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
im putting in a sequential.
Now you have peaked my interest.
Old 05-07-2015, 11:05 AM   #94
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 4,136 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
Now you have peaked my interest.
Rhymes with Queef
ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ATL BRZ For This Useful Post:
Reaper (05-07-2015)
Old 05-15-2015, 09:39 AM   #95
Pkush

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Updates? These kind of build threads are what keeps me on the forum.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:48 AM   #96
Reaper
in orbe terrum non visi

Tracked the car hard at AMP in 80+* heat. Oil temp was 230s with a record high of 240. Coolant was 200. RCE tarmac 2's out performed my expectations with 500 pound springs. I had them dialed in after a few sessions. Ventus V12s were at their limit all day and my AP sprint kit felt great with winmax w5 pads. Though I was on the abs a little much. Never had any fade but my rotors show they got pretty hot. Going to put brake ducts in. Had massive fuel starvation on the long sweeping left hander. I put an oem fuel pump in the passage side pumping fuel into the surge cup to fix the problem but the Walbro 485 still sucks the surge cup dry faster than it can be refilled. Two other NA cars had the same problem. All on street tires. I can't believe there isn't more people talking about this. Every one of us can fuel starve the car in turns even at stock hp and street tires at 1/2 tank. Trying to fix it now. Car was on waste gate pressure all day, mid-upper 300whp and had no problems leap frogging with a zr1 on this track.
Old 05-17-2015, 09:41 AM   #97
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
@King Tut posted about a Holley HydraMat in @ATL BRZ's build thread, because he was having the same issues at AMP. It's basically a bladder that sits inside your fuel tank and wicks fuel into itself from wherever it's touching. The pump draws fuel from within the bladder.

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/hydramat/
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 12:07 PM   #98
Reaper
in orbe terrum non visi

Thanks. I saw that and is a possibility