follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 09-03-2014, 06:09 PM   #1079
BRZZZZZZZZZZ
Car Nut

Drives: BMW 335d, Toyota Echo RS, FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by conedodging View Post
I'd be impressed if there was a consensus, but interested about the topic as well.
Someone needs to tell me before I throw caution to the wind and boost mine and fuck myself right into SM/SSM...
BRZZZZZZZZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:08 PM   #1080
Thrustin

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited, 2013 Focus ST
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
It seems that my driver side axle has developed the dreaded "click". What are my STX-legal options? Are the Drive Shaft Shop axles legal? Other than OEM, are they the only aftermarket option? How long are the OEM axles generally lasting? My car has 10k, and seen around 20 events (all with a co-driver). The problem has only recently surfaced after the installation of coilovers and a spirited drive through the hills of southern Ohio.

Feel free to chime in on any, or all of that somewhat redundant line of questions, lol.
Thrustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:49 PM   #1081
Scooby South
Conedancer

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ SWP
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrustin View Post
It seems that my driver side axle has developed the dreaded "click". What are my STX-legal options? Are the Drive Shaft Shop axles legal? Other than OEM, are they the only aftermarket option? How long are the OEM axles generally lasting? My car has 10k, and seen around 20 events (all with a co-driver). The problem has only recently surfaced after the installation of coilovers and a spirited drive through the hills of southern Ohio.

Feel free to chime in on any, or all of that somewhat redundant line of questions, lol.
Unfortunately until the Aftermarket manufacturers catch up with production (Cardon, Napa, O'Reilly's, etc) the ONLY option is factory... most of us get them on EBAY .. for about $150 or less. Both sides use the same axle.. there is no left/right.. its all one

Bill
Scooby South is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scooby South For This Useful Post:
Thrustin (09-05-2014)
Old 09-05-2014, 07:54 PM   #1082
Thrustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby South View Post
Unfortunately until the Aftermarket manufacturers catch up with production (Cardon, Napa, O'Reilly's, etc) the ONLY option is factory... most of us get them on EBAY .. for about $150 or less. Both sides use the same axle.. there is no left/right.. its all one

Bill
Well, I guess that's good and bad news. I'm not going to spend $900 on axles, but I'll be replacing them every so often. Thanks Bill!
Old 09-05-2014, 08:15 PM   #1083
Thrustin

Axes for around $100. Hell yeah!
Old 09-05-2014, 11:13 PM   #1084
haison

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
So I got wheels and tires sooner than expected since I got a good deal on the RPF1s 17x9 +35. I'm getting some fender rub and not sure what 'best practice' is for autocross. This is my first car that is not in stock class so I've never had aftermarket wheels either. I'm lowered on Feal 441 coilovers too. I've pre-registered for a test and tune event at the end of the month for Delta region so I have some time to play with different things.
Attached Images

haison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 11:33 PM   #1085
toeout

Drives: 2013 FR-S
How much negative front camber do you have? It should be tucked in much more than that. Almost looks like a positive camber.
toeout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to toeout For This Useful Post:
fstlane (09-06-2014)
Old 09-06-2014, 01:29 AM   #1086
haison

It is 0 camber right now. I had gotten an alignment about two months ago when I had the coilovers installed. I just got the new wheels and tires last week. I do like the poke look though.
Old 09-06-2014, 02:00 AM   #1087
Turkish
Serial Cone Killer

Drives: '14 BRZ - WRB Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by haison View Post
It is 0 camber right now.
Holy understeer Batman! At least that is what happened to me when I lowered my suspension without any camber adjustable parts.

... his name is...

C'THULHU
Turkish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 02:05 AM   #1088
Turkish
Serial Cone Killer

Drives: '14 BRZ - WRB Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZZZZZZZZZZ View Post
Whats the consensus on the best header+everything up to the midpipe in terms of NA gains/driveability. Would be combined with ECUTEK and a proper tune. I already have a Greddy SP Elite exhaust I got for super cheap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by conedodging View Post
I'd be impressed if there was a consensus, but interested about the topic as well.
I am planning for in the long term going with a catted UEL, 99% sure it will be the FT86 Speed Factory one. I also daily drive my car. Add on to that recent legislation that requires your car to pass inspection to be registered, thus paving the way for stricter rules regarding exhaust systems. I am not a fan of any of this Californication of Texas. I had originally planned on a catless header and keeping just the secondary cat in the front pipe.

... his name is...

C'THULHU
Turkish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 11:24 AM   #1089
Scooby South
Conedancer

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ SWP
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
So I got wheels and tires sooner than expected since I got a good deal on the RPF1s 17x9 +35. I'm getting some fender rub and not sure what 'best practice' is for autocross. This is my first car that is not in stock class so I've never had aftermarket wheels either. I'm lowered on Feal 441 coilovers too. I've pre-registered for a test and tune event at the end of the month for Delta region so I have some time to play with different things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toeout View Post
How much negative front camber do you have? It should be tucked in much more than that. Almost looks like a positive camber.
Quote:
It is 0 camber right now. I had gotten an alignment about two months ago when I had the coilovers installed. I just got the new wheels and tires last week. I do like the poke look though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish View Post
Holy understeer Batman! At least that is what happened to me when I lowered my suspension without any camber adjustable parts.
you need some negative camber... most of us are in the -1.6 to -2.4 range.. that will help with the rub.. How to achieve that is with Adj rear LCA... Whiteline or some other NON Spherical Bearing brand. .. that will also help with balance.

Bill
Scooby South is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scooby South For This Useful Post:
haison (09-06-2014), Turkish (09-06-2014)
Old 09-06-2014, 12:34 PM   #1090
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
From what I read I think he's fine in the rear, with the car lowered some he should be getting some negative camber already and the rear has a ton of room generally.

I think he's running 0 camber in the front which isn't going to work and that's why with +35 it's rubbing on the fenders. Stock the car doesn't even run 0 camber in the front, it's more like -1...
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 12:43 PM   #1091
haison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby South View Post
you need some negative camber... most of us are in the -1.6 to -2.4 range.. that will help with the rub.. How to achieve that is with Adj rear LCA... Whiteline or some other NON Spherical Bearing brand. .. that will also help with balance.

Bill
Thanks Bill.

I wasn't planning to autocross the car until when next season starts but I wanted to get a feel for the setup. I should have clarified that the front camber was 0 and the rear is about 2.4 after dropping. Would it be alright to add negative camber via camber plates before the event?
Old 09-06-2014, 03:53 PM   #1092
neurokinetik

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Firestorm
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks Bill.

I wasn't planning to autocross the car until when next season starts but I wanted to get a feel for the setup. I should have clarified that the front camber was 0 and the rear is about 2.4 after dropping. Would it be alright to add negative camber via camber plates before the event?

More than alright, DO IT NOW. Get yourself at least 2, and better 3 degrees up front.
neurokinetik is offline   Reply With Quote