follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 01-10-2014, 11:15 AM   #29
Calavera

Drives: Scion FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost View Post
I am not so much concerned about the stiffness of the ride than the noise from the exhaust. How loud are we talking about? Kids ear drums are still developing at this point, there is no need to subject it to loud noises.

I don't have kids but I have watched plenty of friends go through their first child and noise is an issue for the baby. Please don't subject it to sustained loud noises.

People forget their is a difference between surviving an ordeal and not having long term effects. Just because the exhaust doesn't kill the baby, it doesn't mean it won't have long term effects. The first two years of the baby sets up a lot for the future.
I could not agree more!! I woul not under any circumstances drive my new born in my 86 if it was equipped like yours. I would wait till he/she was at least 3 months and above and I would go stock all the way also. That's what I would do but your opinion might differ.

BTW...Congrats!!!
Old 01-10-2014, 11:26 AM   #30
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbertran View Post
Yeah... Having been a baby in the catless 70's totally messed me and my entire generation up. Oh, wait...
......and NOT having seat belts or child car seats ..... really messed MY generation up .....

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Bach415 (01-10-2014), Dadhawk (01-12-2014), tbertran (01-10-2014)
Old 01-10-2014, 11:26 AM   #31
tbertran

Drives: Subaru BRZ (6027xx) Premium Manual
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
By the way, for those of you with front-facing age kids, I heartily recommend this seat/booster Combi Kobuk Air-Thru, Licorice
http://amzn.com/B003TOJA1O. I have 4 (2 in my wife's car, 2 in my BRZ).
They look sporty and, I swear, they fit like they were molded to go in the BRZ's backseat.
In addition, they make it easy for kids to cross their legs (I'm 6"2 and backed up all the way)
FT86SpeedFactory catted UEL Header / GReddy EVO3 Catback / Cosworth Drop-in air filter / Shifteck short throw shifter / Kartboy pulley / Rear bumper diffuser / Perrin shorty antenna / Raceseng Slammer knob / Carsmo armrest / Clear side markers / 10" CustomSubEnclosure|Rockford R500X1D|Rockford P3D4-10 / Perrin Inlet Hose / GrimmSpeed front strut bar / Valentine V1 with BlendMount / All LED Inside
tbertran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:32 AM   #32
RFB

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by g0lden View Post
As the title says, my first baby is on the way. I've done a lot of searching around, but there just doesn't seem to be a whole lot of info. I checked Jalopnik.com and they seem to have the most info, but not nearly enough.
I understand the for almost the 1st year the baby needs to be in a rear facing seat. So I went to test fit some and they just don't fit very well. Will I have any problems with the law if I just remove the passenger side seat? That seat will completely useless if the baby is in the car and it will give me more room if its taken out.

Also my car is quite loud with the exhaust system being catless. I'm worried about this being to loud for the babies ears.

And what kind of rattles can a baby with stand? lowered on BC extreme low coilovers this car just seems to bounce around with all settings set on 8 all four corners.

Thanks for any help to a soon to be new father.
I had the same problem -

Solved it when I sold the brat to the gypsies -

CERBERUS
RFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:38 AM   #33
Whitigir
Banned

Drives: 450 awhp twin turbo vr4
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by g0lden View Post
As the title says, my first baby is on the way. I've done a lot of searching around, but there just doesn't seem to be a whole lot of info. I checked Jalopnik.com and they seem to have the most info, but not nearly enough.
I understand the for almost the 1st year the baby needs to be in a rear facing seat. So I went to test fit some and they just don't fit very well. Will I have any problems with the law if I just remove the passenger side seat? That seat will completely useless if the baby is in the car and it will give me more room if its taken out.

Also my car is quite loud with the exhaust system being catless. I'm worried about this being to loud for the babies ears.

And what kind of rattles can a baby with stand? lowered on BC extreme low coilovers this car just seems to bounce around with all settings set on 8 all four corners.

Thanks for any help to a soon to be new father.

Congratulations.

As far as Baby goes ? Buy a WRX, new or used Hatch

4 doors will help taking baby in/out easier.

Sedan body, if you can, swap the Coils with the Springs together when you do track, or a more comfortable one when you have baby for a long use.

If you don't have Tools, or time to swap the coils and stuff, the Standard one on WRX would be more Comfy for baby than the BC you have in the FRS.

Either way, I can only see a few cars that is sporty and comfy at the same time

1/ WRX
2/ Evo
3/ TL AWD
4/ IS-350 or whatever
Whitigir is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Whitigir For This Useful Post:
g0lden (01-12-2014)
Old 01-10-2014, 11:46 AM   #34
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

Drives: Accord 2.0T, Silverado
Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,072 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbertran View Post
Yeah... Having been a baby in the catless 70's totally messed me and my entire generation up. Oh, wait...
Well... Disco. 'nuff said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
......and NOT having seat belts or child car seats ..... really messed MY generation up .....

humfrz
For some it did.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...n_U.S._by_year

While sure, your generation survived why wouldn't you take advantage of the astronomical leap in technology and safety that is readily available and affordable today? That's just irresponsible, imo. If you want to endanger yourself, by all means do so, but don't involve other people in it.
n2oinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:58 AM   #35
amilleri

Drives: 2010 Scion xD
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Keep the FR-S, it may be a little cramped but it will work fine. Once they are front facing the room expands, and once the car seat goes away it stays about the same. It will only become a problem once they are about 5ft tall or so.
amilleri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:03 PM   #36
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
@g0lden : I bought my FR-S back in August 2012, my daughter was born 6 months later. Aka, my wife was ok with me buying this car while she was pregnant (actually, she almost puked in the car the day I bought it, thanks to her hypersensitivity to the "new car smell ) Personally, I would stow the catless exhaust for reasons already explained here (fumes/noise). No reason to take a risk. Regard the suspension in that same aspect. The stock ride is already bumpy, my child doesnt seem to be botherd by it, but why run the risk of making it worse. Its more work to revert to stock, but you'll have peace of mind.

It has been a minor challenge so far with the infant seat. The base fits perfectly, and I advise you to get a seat protector mat (you can get them at Target). The Passenger seat has to sit forward (you get used to it being in your field of vision while baby is in the car). I actually have the seat back against the infant carrier, to provide extra stability. The wife can fit in the car (at 5'5"), but this is only practical for short trips, as her knees are practically in the glovebox. As has been said, if you are willing to make the effort, this can be an effective short-distance baby carrier.

Now, I dont know how the rear-ward facing convertible seat (the next one they will be in) will work. It can, apparently, but it is more difficult to get the child into it. Fortunately, there have been people pioneering enough to check this out. Google "Will the FR-S Baby?" and click the first link. Jalopnik did an article on it back in 2012.

And, finally, Congrats. You are going to love this as much as your car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
It has priests in it?
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HunterGreene For This Useful Post:
g0lden (01-12-2014)
Old 01-10-2014, 12:06 PM   #37
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2oinferno View Post
While sure, your generation survived why wouldn't you take advantage of the astronomical leap in technology and safety that is readily available and affordable today? That's just irresponsible, imo. If you want to endanger yourself, by all means do so, but don't involve other people in it.
DANG, n2oinferno ...... sorry, I didn't mean to be misleading.

I firmly believe in utilizing all the safety features that are available.

If fact, back in the day, I installed seat belts from an old airplane from Wright-Patterson AFB, into my 1937 Chev pick-up truck.

So, I've been "buckeled up" for over 57 years ....

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
AznBRZer (01-10-2014), n2oinferno (01-10-2014)
Old 01-10-2014, 12:22 PM   #38
gily25

Drives: Silica BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
The twins are nice modern cars compared to what we had when I was a kid, as a baby my parents drove a lifted step-side chevy with mud tires and custom bent exhaust. My carseat was a chromed frame with a vinyl seat and I survived the rollover of "said Chevy" while riding in it. My ears are fine and I didn't get shaken baby syndrome either.

That said, there are plenty of carseat threads here so you should be able to find something that works. Consider going to a mom and pop shop to buy the seat, they'll usually let you test fit and may consider ordering a specific model for you to try. I would only change the exhaust if the baby seems sensitive to the noise (cries, seems irritated, doesn't sleep during longer rides), same for the suspension. Depending on your patience and your wife's, getting a baby in the back isn't the end of the world, just going to require learning a new skill. *2 cents*
gily25 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gily25 For This Useful Post:
g0lden (01-12-2014), humfrz (01-10-2014), SirBrass (01-10-2014)
Old 01-10-2014, 12:25 PM   #39
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
DANG, n2oinferno ...... sorry, I didn't mean to be misleading.

I firmly believe in utilizing all the safety features that are available.

If fact, back in the day, I installed seat belts from an old airplane from Wright-Patterson AFB, into my 1937 Chev pick-up truck.

So, I've been "buckeled up" for over 57 years ....

humfrz
No worries, the internet makes communication a pain sometimes.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:35 PM   #40
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Drives: '13 Prius, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Well... Disco. 'nuff said.

For some it did.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...n_U.S._by_year

I am pretty sure humfrz was joking.

That being said though, every previous generation is always going to say the following generations are "wusses" and inferior to them. It is the cycle of generations.

However, I do find a general scariness on how kids today can't do math without a calculator. Heck, how many people here still know how to do long division?

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frost For This Useful Post:
SirBrass (01-10-2014)
Old 01-10-2014, 12:40 PM   #41
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost View Post
I am pretty sure humfrz was joking.

That being said though, every previous generation is always going to say the following generations are "wusses" and inferior to them. It is the cycle of generations.

However, I do find a general scariness on how kids today can't do math without a calculator. Heck, how many people here still know how to do long division?
Yeah, cleared that one up. My bad.

Previous generation is always wussy though. When I was someone's age I walked fifteen miles over volcanic lava blizzards uphill both ways to the school bus stop. And then when we got there we had to push the bus because it had no engine. We took turns. One time this kid name Billy was eaten by a herd of cattle.

Gotta say, I'm 30 and I think the math thing started right after my generation. Although I remember doing calc, trig, proofs, etc, a lot of people I know pretty much tossed the stuff they didn't need aside. Now with devices that are always correct it's easier to use the reference than figure it out yourself. You wouldn't think it'd be that way though, with kids coming home with 8 hours of homework every night now.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:23 PM   #42
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Drives: '13 Prius, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Gotta say, I'm 30 and I think the math thing started right after my generation. Although I remember doing calc, trig, proofs, etc, a lot of people I know pretty much tossed the stuff they didn't need aside. Now with devices that are always correct it's easier to use the reference than figure it out yourself. You wouldn't think it'd be that way though, with kids coming home with 8 hours of homework every night now.
That's the part that scares me - we trust in the machine. We should never 100% implicitly trust the machine lest we be tied to it's shortcomings.

I am turning 32 this month so I hear what you are saying. It's still good to understand and know why things are done in a way to improve upon it - not just take it on faith.

As for the OP - I never said it but CONGRATS! Hope you got some good tips from us.

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frost For This Useful Post:
g0lden (01-12-2014)