follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-27-2017, 09:30 PM   #141
ft86me

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL BRZ View Post
IRP said that I can ship my shifter to them IN LITHUANIA to have them fix my reverse button rattle.... How about telling us how to fix it and providing whatever simple rubber isolator they came up with???
From my understanding, they are going to ship their fix to ft86speedfactory when available. I should be getting notified by speedfactory as well when they get them. This is a response I received from them this morning via email verbatim:

Hello Allen,

we already work on a fix for the rattle. It comes from strong vibrations within the gearbox and our shifter increases them.

We are also in contact with our partners in the US and will announce the delivery of an add-on asap.
We take this very very serious and are full aware of the issue.

Thank you for reaching out to us. I will inform you personally as well as soon we have a 100% solution in place.

Best regards
Marcel.

Very good and sincere followup , but I did ask about my issue with the lockout button and didn't receive an answer. I have heard about grease from a fellow member, but in terms of cable, are there any adjustments I need to or can make?
ft86me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ft86me For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (06-29-2017)
Old 06-28-2017, 05:57 PM   #142
Hawk77FT

Drives: GTS 86
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk77FT View Post
OK, here is a possible solution: the bolt in the picture 1 is to fixate the cable. The movement could be happening where the hex key is pointing in picture 2.
If you undo the bottom bolt, (make sure you have something to hold the cable into position) and pull it a little to apply a slight tension on the cable, the rattle could be possibly eliminated!

Also, to reduce the rattle please use a piece of hard rubber to place it in between the unit and gearbox! Or like our german friend here, use a piece of carbon fiber.
@ft86me
It looks like it didn't take the pictures, but is post #103
Hawk77FT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk77FT For This Useful Post:
ft86me (06-28-2017)
Old 09-03-2017, 12:36 AM   #143
BR-ZED

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
So the fix kit for the vibration is out.... has anyone tried it out? Does it work?

BR-ZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:00 PM   #144
nav

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Installed the shifter rattle fix, and it does not improve the situation that much. Maybe slightly less rattle below 5,500 rpm, but that's it.

Anyone else have a solution?
nav is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nav For This Useful Post:
BR-ZED (09-21-2017), Brzerker (09-22-2017)
Old 09-26-2017, 02:11 AM   #145
Mad_Infinity

Drives: 2015 CWP BRZ
Is the shifter rattling like crazy for anyone in gears 1-3 from 2-3k rpm? I have the rattle fix installed but it isn't doing anything for me. Also rattles in the higher gears but above 3k rpm or so.

It definitely isn't from the button either, sounds like a loose bolt at the bottom of the shifter although I didn't leave any bolts loose....
Mad_Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 08:07 AM   #146
nav

Installed the anti-rattle kit from IRP and no dice. Still rattles. Seems like it is the button or the rod underneath the button. Does anyone have a root cause for why it rattles?
Old 09-26-2017, 06:12 PM   #147
Hawk77FT

Drives: GTS 86
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nav View Post
Installed the anti-rattle kit from IRP and no dice. Still rattles. Seems like it is the button or the rod underneath the button. Does anyone have a root cause for why it rattles?
It's the [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFvRvSxsW-I"]Isaac Hayes: Shaft (High Quality) - YouTube[/ame]

Investigating the fix with them as we speak!
Hawk77FT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 07:10 AM   #148
Wyattkb

Drives: 2014 Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
If someone can't take the rattles and wants to sell let, me know. 😎 I'll deal with the rattles, have been since day one.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Wyattkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 08:47 PM   #149
nav

Quote:
It's the

Have you found out potential fix paths yet?
Old 09-28-2017, 10:39 PM   #150
Brzerker

Drives: World Rally Blue BRZ
Quote:
It's the

Thanks! Do let us know if you guys come up with anything
Old 10-02-2017, 12:58 AM   #151
86MT

Drives: '17 Hot Lava 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor View Post
It depends on what you value? Same as with other upgrades, like coilovers, bushings, exhaust etc. Some will prefer stock suspension and quiet exhaust. Others are perfectly fine with a hard suspension and a loud exhaust as an example. It will be more noisy since it rigidly mounted.

From an operating perspective, I don't see a disadvantage. Even if just driving the car to work I enjoy the feel of the shifter. The stock shifter is undoubtedly good, but this is just another feeling. It's purely subjective, but there is a certain unexplainable satisfaction of the "thumbs" when it goes into gear. See the video I posted earlier:

Interested in getting this shifter as my first mod for my 86. Coming from older Hondas, I'm quite let down by the notchiness of the transmission. I got my transmission oil changed after the break in period, I used Motul Gear 300.

The car is very notchy when cold, but still a little notchy when hot. I know that the shifter itself may not alleviate the problem, but with the throws being so short, does it make the notchiness harder to feel? I just want to have a buttery smooth gearbox and I don't know how to go about accomplishing that.

The car serves as a daily driver for now, but plan to start some autocross events with it soon.

Thanks
86MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:38 PM   #152
nav

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86MT View Post
Interested in getting this shifter as my first mod for my 86. Coming from older Hondas, I'm quite let down by the notchiness of the transmission. I got my transmission oil changed after the break in period, I used Motul Gear 300.

The car is very notchy when cold, but still a little notchy when hot. I know that the shifter itself may not alleviate the problem, but with the throws being so short, does it make the notchiness harder to feel? I just want to have a buttery smooth gearbox and I don't know how to go about accomplishing that.
Hey there, my subjective opinion is that if you don't like the notchy sensation of the stock shifter, the IRP may not be the right choice as it requires slightly more force to shift in gear.

Suggest you consider getting a slightly heavier shift knob (I loved the RaceSeng Apex R) and some good transmission fluid for what you are after.

Personally, I enjoy the IRP, but between the rattles and the stiffer shifts it is not for everyone.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:39 PM   #153
Drakiv
Project Shadow

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
I have a suggestion for someone to try with their shifter to get rid of the rattling. I brought this up when I got a solid transmission mount on my trans and it has me convinced this is similar. Someone should look at creating a rubber mount to go between the hanger and bolts for the exhaust hanger that bolts on to the transmission. I think it is transmitting engine vibration along with exhaust vibration into the shifter. If someone wants to try that, see if this helps. You are going to have to possibly widen the bolt holes on the hanger and add in a rubber grommet to absorb all of the vibration, otherwise just placing a rubber piece between the hanger and transmission isn't enough because those bolts will be on the hanger and mount. Someone let me know if this helps at all. If I don't hear anything I will test this out myself once I buy the shifter and swap it out. I have been super busy lately with moving and the new house so I can't do much right now.

Instagram: Drakiv
Drakiv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Drakiv For This Useful Post:
Hawk77FT (10-02-2017)
Old 10-03-2017, 08:18 PM   #154
redlined600

Drives: Fr-s
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
If someone can't handle the rattles and wants to sell, pm me please.