follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 03-05-2014, 11:12 AM   #15
sklimo
Banned

Drives: 2013 Supercharged SSM BRZ Limited
Thanked 12,901 Times in 5,671 Posts
Mentioned: 316 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
sklimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:23 AM   #16
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bach415 View Post
I like how this thread turned into a @humfrz vs @Porsche thread
Well, now, Back415, ...... we addressed your question ..... didn't we .. ??

So, just don't ask two old coots a question ...... unless you're prepared for a bunch of off topic dribble at the end .....

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Porsche (03-05-2014)
Old 03-05-2014, 11:27 AM   #17
SpeedyJay

Drives: '13 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I try not to turn the steering wheel while stationary, it puts a huge amount of load pump/rack/ball joints. Try and always be moving even at just a little roll when turning the steering wheel and the load on the steering system is reduced massively.

So yeah I think its normal for your RPM to fluctuate as your PS pump is working over time to rotate a dead load.
Porsche (03-06-2014)
Old 03-05-2014, 01:07 PM   #18
Bach415

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Well, now, Back415, ...... we addressed your question ..... didn't we .. ??

So, just don't ask two old coots a question ...... unless you're prepared for a bunch of off topic dribble at the end .....

humfrz
I guess you did! but questioning old coots are the best way to gain knowledge, am I not right?

Edit: One more question: What if the rpms rises n drops at idle, no turning of the steering wheel either. That happened right after I filled up gas. :P
Bach415 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bach415 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (03-05-2014), Porsche (03-05-2014)
Old 03-05-2014, 02:05 PM   #19
Porsche

Drives: 2013 BRZ Ltd. MT
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
I guess you did! but questioning old coots are the best way to gain knowledge, am I not right?
YES!

Absolutely right, especially when you ask @humfrz or me.

And sometimes you get fascinating bonus material thrown in for no extra charge. And then there's the treat of watching two old guys playing around and being silly. What more could anyone ask for?

We're all a community here, right? Friendly and respectful. And if I offended you by veering off topic, then I apologize. I meant no disrespect.

From time to time, there may even be a pearl of wisdom hidden amidst the silliness.

You never know your luck.
Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Porsche For This Useful Post:
Bach415 (03-05-2014), humfrz (03-05-2014)
Old 03-05-2014, 02:06 PM   #20
stugray
Banned

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,445 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyJay View Post
I try not to turn the steering wheel while stationary, it puts a huge amount of load pump/rack/ball joints. Try and always be moving even at just a little roll when turning the steering wheel and the load on the steering system is reduced massively.

So yeah I think its normal for your RPM to fluctuate as your PS pump is working over time to rotate a dead load.
You do know that the power steering in this car is Electric right?
No "pump"...

And

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche View Post
It's back in print again, if your library doesn't have it. It's worth reading.
Uhhh... What's a Li Brr arry?? I looked in Google by the youtube icon, and I dont see a link for 'Library'.

Anyway - I just bought "Sports Car and competition driving" by Paul Frere.
You may have seen him racing "back in the day"
stugray is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stugray For This Useful Post:
Porsche (03-05-2014)
Old 03-05-2014, 02:47 PM   #21
Porsche

Quote:
One more question: What if the rpms rises n drops at idle, no turning of the steering wheel either. That happened right after I filled up gas. :P

All of our cars have done that sort of thing in recent decades. The ECU is perpetually sampling thousands of things at once and making minute adjustments. It's just the way cars are these days. So long as these systems keep working as intended, cars rarely suffer stalling and other problems to the same extent that they once did.

Tune-up? What's that?

While it's always a remote possibility that the phenomenon that you observed may be the precursor to some later problem … it's unlikely. Occasional intermittent rpm fluctuations are normal on cars these days, and they are not an indication of anything wrong, but are just normal running behavior. Mine do it, too. And then they settle down after a few moments. I don't find it anything to be concerned about at all.

I quite understand how the younger folks, perhaps the proud owner of their first new car, are fretful about every little thing. And that, too, is normal.

Fear not.

And now for your BONUS! Unless, of course, you'd rather just skip over it.

So, Mark Donohue, one of America's great drivers (who, sadly, died too young following a comeback from retirement), was over in Germany in Stuttgart/Weissach, working at the testing facility and talking to the head of the Porsche Can-Am project as they were developing the car prior to the beginning of the season. Mark had been complaining that he hadn't enough power.

Now, this car already had, by all accounts, more power than any of the competition, and the astounded engineer asked Mark "How much power do you want?"

And Mark replied, "Enough power to spin my wheels all the way down the longest straight."

Heh.

I loved that. I've always remembered that. Mark was smart, an engineer by training.

Is that cool, or what? I'll bet you remember that line, and maybe even use it yourself in the future.

You read your bonus, didn't you?! Tell the truth, now…
The Following User Says Thank You to Porsche For This Useful Post:
humfrz (03-05-2014)
Old 03-05-2014, 02:58 PM   #22
Bach415

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
YES!

Absolutely right, especially when you ask @humfrz or me.

And sometimes you get fascinating bonus material thrown in for no extra charge. And then there's the treat of watching two old guys playing around and being silly. What more could anyone ask for?

We're all a community here, right? Friendly and respectful. And if I offended you by veering off topic, then I apologize. I meant no disrespect.

From time to time, there may even be a pearl of wisdom hidden amidst the silliness.

You never know your luck.
And this is why I love this community. It's a combination of teachers and learners as well as being friendly. You didn't offend me at all for veering off topic. It's actually a good thing imo(maybe not in the moderator's eyes) as I get to learn something new from the wiser folks!

Also, I am unable to quote your last post. It was too big :P. I shall keep that quote in mind,despite the fact that power isn't everything for me. It's more of how the car handles under certain circumstances rather than going in a straight line .
Bach415 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bach415 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (03-05-2014), Porsche (03-05-2014)
Old 03-05-2014, 03:02 PM   #23
Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by stugray View Post
Uhhh... What's a Li Brr arry??

It's a problem.

Quote:
Anyway - I just bought "Sports Car and competition driving" by Paul Frere.
Yes! Excellent book; one of the classics. I've read that.

Here are a couple other classics that I have in my own library, and which you might like:

The Technique of Motor Racing, by Piero Taruffi

The Racing Driver, by Denis Jenkinson

Quote:
You may have seen him [Paul Frere] racing "back in the day"
Yes, I did.

Nice to meet a fellow enthusiast who appreciates the greats from the past.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Porsche For This Useful Post:
Bach415 (03-05-2014), DAEMANO (03-07-2014), stugray (03-05-2014)
Old 03-05-2014, 03:18 PM   #24
SpeedyJay

Drives: '13 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Ah yes I can't believe I forgot that, I still think the basics are the same. The heavy load from trying to turn the dead weight on tires forced the power steering motor to work harder and draw more power thus causing the idle to fluctuate. Just like when you put load to a generator the motor in the generator has to work harder to make more power.
stugray (03-05-2014)
Old 03-05-2014, 05:41 PM   #25
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
All of our cars have done that sort of thing in recent decades. The ECU is perpetually sampling thousands of things at once and making minute adjustments. It's just the way cars are these days. So long as these systems keep working as intended, cars rarely suffer stalling and other problems to the same extent that they once did.

Tune-up? What's that?

While it's always a remote possibility that the phenomenon that you observed may be the precursor to some later problem … it's unlikely. Occasional intermittent rpm fluctuations are normal on cars these days, and they are not an indication of anything wrong, but are just normal running behavior. Mine do it, too. And then they settle down after a few moments. I don't find it anything to be concerned about at all.

I quite understand how the younger folks, perhaps the proud owner of their first new car, are fretful about every little thing. And that, too, is normal.

Fear not.

And now for your BONUS!...... And Mark replied, "Enough power to spin my wheels all the way down the longest straight." .....

I feel this post should be required reading for all "new" drivers on the forum.

By "new" ....... I mean the folks that went directly from a riding a skate board to driving a car ....

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Bach415 (03-05-2014), Porsche (03-05-2014)