follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 09-15-2017, 08:40 PM   #1
allowe

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Protecting the paint

Hey everyone.

I'm sure that I'm not the only one who thinks that our paint is very weak and chips a lot. (Don't blame the car for being low as I had a 2002 slammed Sentra and that thing had dents rather than paint chips but had 260ks and the body still looked clean) I have my front hood carbon fiber wrapped which helps from these stone chips. But every time I go for a long drive, I come back and find a paint chip somewhere on the body of the car. I honestly wouldn't care too much about it but I have the fear that it might cause rust and that's my biggest fear.

Is there a film we can put on our cars that protect it from getting stone chips as I'm getting tired of using a touch up pen and keeping one in the glovebox for almost daily use. Also, has anyone used it on our cars? Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
allowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 08:58 PM   #2
Impureclient
Banned

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Thanked 2,903 Times in 1,282 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
There must be some kind of "paint protection film" product out there. I don't know if anybody will be able to help you find anything like that.
Somebody needs to come up with some type of search engine thing that finds stuff when you are looking for it on the internet. Since it was brought up though,
maybe the mods might even make a subforum for this kind of thing since this seems like something others would benefit from. Good luck.
Impureclient is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Impureclient For This Useful Post:
ShawnP19 (10-04-2017), swarb (09-15-2017), Tcoat (09-15-2017)
Old 09-15-2017, 09:19 PM   #3
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by allowe View Post
Hey everyone.

I'm sure that I'm not the only one who thinks that our paint is very weak and chips a lot. (Don't blame the car for being low as I had a 2002 slammed Sentra and that thing had dents rather than paint chips but had 260ks and the body still looked clean) I have my front hood carbon fiber wrapped which helps from these stone chips. But every time I go for a long drive, I come back and find a paint chip somewhere on the body of the car. I honestly wouldn't care too much about it but I have the fear that it might cause rust and that's my biggest fear.

Is there a film we can put on our cars that protect it from getting stone chips as I'm getting tired of using a touch up pen and keeping one in the glovebox for almost daily use. Also, has anyone used it on our cars? Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated

Yeah there must be some kind of "paint protection film" or "clear bra" that someone makes, xpel, 3m, or avery must make something, after all; they make tint and warps and whatnot. I wish there was some where that was searchable on the internet.
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to swarb For This Useful Post:
Impureclient (09-15-2017), Tcoat (09-15-2017)
Old 09-15-2017, 09:35 PM   #4
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,285 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impureclient View Post
There must be some kind of "paint protection film" product out there. I don't know if anybody will be able to help you find anything like that.
Somebody needs to come up with some type of search engine thing that finds stuff when you are looking for it on the internet. Since it was brought up though,
maybe the mods might even make a subforum for this kind of thing since this seems like something others would benefit from. Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarb View Post
Yeah there must be some kind of "paint protection film" or "clear bra" that someone makes, xpel, 3m, or avery must make something, after all; they make tint and warps and whatnot. I wish there was some where that was searchable on the internet.
I just wish that sombody would explain why the paint on all cars made after 2012 chips easier than that on a 2002 Sentra. Maybe they could explain it 20 or 30 times so that it wouldn't be a mystery to so many people.
Impureclient (09-15-2017), swarb (09-15-2017)
Old 09-15-2017, 09:47 PM   #5
Impureclient
Banned

Is the sarcasm getting through OK here or is somebody going to have to whip out the http://www.letmegooglethat.com/ ?

Old 09-15-2017, 10:20 PM   #6
PetrolioBenzina

Drives: 17 86
Thanked 1,133 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
I think what people are trying to say, OP, is that modern paint sucks because enviro-weenies ruined it for everyone and that cranking up google will answer all your questions.

You might be the first interested in wrapping the whole car, so post pics when done!
PetrolioBenzina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 10:21 PM   #7
Impureclient
Banned

Wrapping the entire car clear has been done PB. Somebody in here even did it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Impureclient For This Useful Post:
allowe (09-15-2017)
Old 09-15-2017, 11:25 PM   #8
allowe

Protecting the paint

My god, the sarcasm...

Most of the time, 3m clear bras are wrapped only on hoods rather than the fenders, bumper and the A pillars. Does anyone have anything like that applied to their entire car? Any downsides ?

And not all modern cars have paint thinner than eggs shells.

Yea I've thought about vinyl wrapping the entire car but my car is a cop magnet as is, id rather have something more subtle

Old 09-15-2017, 11:40 PM   #9
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,285 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
My god, the sarcasm...

Most of the time, 3m clear bras are wrapped only on hoods rather than the fenders, bumper and the A pillars. Does anyone have anything like that applied to their entire car? Any downsides ?

Yea I've thought about vinyl wrapping the entire car but my car is a cop magnet as is, id rather have something more subtle

The paint isn't thin. Thickness is not the issue.

It is true some manufactures have developed better application methods but the paint itself is pretty much the same across all makes.

Wrapped in clear or a normal colour will not draw attention.

A certain car is never a "cop magnet". How it is driven attracts them not the car.
humfrz (09-15-2017)
Old 09-15-2017, 11:45 PM   #10
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,867 Times in 16,441 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
My god, the sarcasm...

WOW! .......allowe ....... you're getten slapped around pretty bad here .......

I was going to you, but that would be cruel.

What you could do it take your car into a paint shop, and ask one of the old guys, if he would paint it with some enamel paint from the 1950s ....... after hours, of course.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 11:51 PM   #11
dnieves

Drives: FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I did the paint protection film right after I picked up the car. I did the front bumper and full hood. The after market film is better for the hood because it's slightly thicker and protects the whole hood instead of the leading foot (or so) compared to the OEM version.

The OEM version is easier to apply on the front bumper because it's a tailored fit. I'm so impressed four years later I will never consider another car purchase without getting the film!

The film is easier to take care of compared to paint (just keep it clean). It's such a relief not having to worry about bug guts, small rocks and etc as they aren't going to wreak havoc on the front end paint job. Keep in mind it may be somewhat expensive but it's cheaper than a paint job and eliminates the headache of paint matching and rust.

Last edited by dnieves; 09-16-2017 at 12:03 PM.
dnieves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 11:53 PM   #12
allowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
The paint isn't thin. Thickness is not the issue.

It is true some manufactures have developed better application methods but the paint itself is pretty much the same across all makes.

Wrapped in clear or a normal colour will not draw attention.

A certain car is never a "cop magnet". How it is driven attracts them not the car.

Lol and the car having a loud exhaust :p

Old 09-15-2017, 11:57 PM   #13
allowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
WOW! .......allowe ....... you're getten slapped around pretty bad here .......

I was going to you, but that would be cruel.

What you could do it take your car into a paint shop, and ask one of the old guys, if he would paint it with some enamel paint from the 1950s ....... after hours, of course.

humfrz

Lol I didn't mean it in an upset manner. More of a "my god, the sarcasm haha" rather than " omg the sarcasm here!"

Well that's what I was wondering too. Does anyone have some sort of a secret to keeping the paint chipping to a minimum? It's the highway driving that's doing a number on my car.

Old 09-16-2017, 12:15 AM   #14
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,867 Times in 16,441 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
Lol I didn't mean it in an upset manner. More of a "my god, the sarcasm haha" rather than " omg the sarcasm here!"

Well that's what I was wondering too. Does anyone have some sort of a secret to keeping the paint chipping to a minimum? It's the highway driving that's doing a number on my car.

I'll defer to ol @Tcoat for ideas about highway driving in Canada and paint protection.

My 2007 Miata, with modern paint, after 88,000 mostly highway miles, all over the western US and parts of western Canada ........ acquired a "patina" (see below).

I just considered it a "badge", showing that the little car and been down the highway for several miles.

I just washed and waxed the car a few times a year, waxing over its little imperfections ....... and didn't allow them to interfere with me enjoying driving the car.

Yep, my FR-S, after four years, has a few scars, but most of them are low enough that I can't bend over that far to see them .........

humfrz
Attached Images

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
allowe (09-16-2017), JD001 (09-16-2017)