follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-12-2014, 03:27 PM   #29
Gopherboy6956

Drives: 13 BRZ Limited WRB
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I agree. It was also very helpful in getting the Perrin Transmission mount support and the Perrin Shifter rod bushing installed. Took about everything I had to get the two nuts of the header bolts though. Those suckers were on there good. can't imagine how hard it could have been if I drove my car in the winters here... salt and whatnot.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:51 PM   #30
axelo
Banned

Drives: Whiteout frs
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopherboy6956 View Post
Holy crap... Did anyone have a ton of trouble getting the Detent (passenger side) back in?

I - Cannot - for the life of me - get that bitch threaded and back in. I see no way to get force on the spring to let the threads catch.

Any advice? Driving me nuts.

Also - i'm just working on the garage floor, car on jacks. No lift for me.
I 'm pretty sure i f-$& ed the transmision threads...the .detent threads are intact....ill post pic later...
axelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 12:38 PM   #31
axelo
Banned

I stripped mine .... Detent is intact... Talked to shop for tap...
I cleaned trans threads thorough....was very careful by hand..but...i think i used to much force.... Have to go to the shop anyways, for ss brakelines and pads

What can i use to cover the hole of the stripped threads in the trans????...i live in a apt building and i need to get the car to the street to be lifted and taken to the shop.

Last edited by axelo; 08-09-2015 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Forgot detail
Old 08-21-2015, 09:22 PM   #32
axelo
Banned

Results

Quote:
Originally Posted by axelo View Post
I stripped mine .... Detent is intact... Talked to shop for tap...
I cleaned trans threads thorough....was very careful by hand..but...i think i used to much force.... Have to go to the shop anyways, for ss brakelines and pads

What can i use to cover the hole of the stripped threads in the trans????...i live in a apt building and i need to get the car to the street to be lifted and taken to the shop.
Fixed by shop taking rear trans holding point enough for tap...used tape to cover detent hole on trans...

Got ns400s and ss brake lines!! Everything was meant to be!
Old 08-22-2015, 09:06 PM   #33
Siem Reap

Drives: DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Fixed by shop taking rear trans holding point enough for tap...used tape to cover detent hole on trans...

Got ns400s and ss brake lines!! Everything was meant to be!
Did you take the entire car or just the transmission?

I am having the same issue. Working under jack stands and trying to get up there it felt like it was aligned and then it wasn't.

Detent bolt is fine, but the threads on my transmission are jacked.

How much did it cost you to have it fixed?
Old 08-22-2015, 11:20 PM   #34
axelo
Banned

well..after just doing this yesterday...I taped my trans "hole" with "grey" colored tape and drove the car to shop... another forum member didn't even cover the "hole" and drove car to shop...fiebruz motorsports (the best on ft86 platform here in PR) lowered rear trans mount and then had room for a new tap on stripped trans thread... no trans drop...my "fuck up" labor was of 30 bucks worth...mtec industry just recoxmended "tape" on a email ... no more costumer service other than an email saying "tape it and take to shop"... so they suck...trying to sell a product with a youtube vid making it look easy when there is a lot of other details involved for a proper install...they sell a product saying to just unbolt, change spring and rebolt when it is more complicated than that...bullshit...like many things in the aftermarket car industry...you have to take detent very carefully the last turns when removing, then take all the old locktite off...i mean all...use alcohol, carb cleaner, a pick, whatever...to remove all old locktite...its a bitch...for me it was...and try to thread by hand the detent bolt first before even trying to actually rebolt detent with mtec spring..patience is the key...but you already stripped thr thread...price?...comunicate with shop and let them know that tap on your stripped thread on trans can be done without taking trans out...no biggie...worth it thought...mtec springs do make shifter feel stiffer...why did mtec create a spring better than stock for aggressive shifting without proper diy instructions is the bullshit...they just want to.make it look easy to sell it....same shit as other aftemarket products do to sell...lesson learned on my part...my recomendation...tape it good so no trans oil spills upon taking it to a trustworthy shop and tap...then check once in a while that the shop did their job well cheking that no trans fluid slippage from their job...so take the stress off.your shoulders and follow my recomendations...again evaluate well doing a diy from a company who just wants to sell a product....PM me if you want have questions!!!
Dont worry!!! You'll have your car running good in no time.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to axelo For This Useful Post:
Dreyup (12-06-2015), Siem Reap (08-27-2015), SPCorBUST (08-25-2015)
Old 12-06-2015, 01:01 AM   #35
Dreyup

Drives: 2015 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
well..after just doing this yesterday...I taped my trans "hole" with "grey" colored tape and drove the car to shop... another forum member didn't even cover the "hole" and drove car to shop...fiebruz motorsports (the best on ft86 platform here in PR) lowered rear trans mount and then had room for a new tap on stripped trans thread... no trans drop...my "fuck up" labor was of 30 bucks worth...mtec industry just recoxmended "tape" on a email ... no more costumer service other than an email saying "tape it and take to shop"... so they suck...trying to sell a product with a youtube vid making it look easy when there is a lot of other details involved for a proper install...they sell a product saying to just unbolt, change spring and rebolt when it is more complicated than that...bullshit...like many things in the aftermarket car industry...you have to take detent very carefully the last turns when removing, then take all the old locktite off...i mean all...use alcohol, carb cleaner, a pick, whatever...to remove all old locktite...its a bitch...for me it was...and try to thread by hand the detent bolt first before even trying to actually rebolt detent with mtec spring..patience is the key...but you already stripped thr thread...price?...comunicate with shop and let them know that tap on your stripped thread on trans can be done without taking trans out...no biggie...worth it thought...mtec springs do make shifter feel stiffer...why did mtec create a spring better than stock for aggressive shifting without proper diy instructions is the bullshit...they just want to.make it look easy to sell it....same shit as other aftemarket products do to sell...lesson learned on my part...my recomendation...tape it good so no trans oil spills upon taking it to a trustworthy shop and tap...then check once in a while that the shop did their job well cheking that no trans fluid slippage from their job...so take the stress off.your shoulders and follow my recomendations...again evaluate well doing a diy from a company who just wants to sell a product....PM me if you want have questions!!!
Dont worry!!! You'll have your car running good in no time.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I messed up my threads also. Getting them re tapped..

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Dreyup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 09:34 AM   #36
axelo
Banned

dont worry

use the strongest tape you have available, you have a lot of time moving the car, depending how long the trans takes temperature and use.

my shop just lowered the back trans support and had sufficient space to retap... try to make sure the retap is done by a professional, don't let the newbie of the shop do it.

its not a big deal!! its part of your whole flat four, rear wheel drive machine that saved the average joe car enthusiasts scene.

so inspiring....gonna wash mine right now
The Following User Says Thank You to axelo For This Useful Post:
Dreyup (12-06-2015)
Old 12-06-2015, 09:36 AM   #37
Dreyup

Drives: 2015 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
use the strongest tape you have available, you have a lot of time moving the car, depending how long the trans takes temperature and use.

my shop just lowered the back trans support and had sufficient space to retap... try to make sure the retap is done by a professional, don't let the newbie of the shop do it.

its not a big deal!! its part of your whole flat four, rear wheel drive machine that saved the average joe car enthusiasts scene.

so inspiring....gonna wash mine right now
Thanks

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Dreyup is offline   Reply With Quote