follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 09-20-2013, 12:22 AM   #505
Decay107
Turning is for Nerds

Drives: 35 characters is not enough
Thanked 1,259 Times in 717 Posts
Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Just checked mine ZA1JA01C :happy0180: , build date March 2013. Found out that you do in fact need the pro version of the Torque app to check.

Now if you'll excuse me for a bit, I'm gonna go out for a drive
Decay107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:36 AM   #506
yuicebox
Banned

Drives: Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decay107 View Post
Just checked mine ZA1JA01C :happy0180: , build date March 2013. Found out that you do in fact need the pro version of the Torque app to check.

Now if you'll excuse me for a bit, I'm gonna go out for a drive
I checked while I was stuck in the rain. I hooned the whole way home.
yuicebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:18 AM   #507
Freude am Fahren

Drives: '13 DGM BRZ Limited/'14 Yamaha R6
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Okay, all this excitement about 01C. Do we have solid information (or even confirmation), that our cars are safe. Can we go banging a track all day and not have to worry about our DI Seals?

-XXR 527 18x8.75 +35
-Nameless 2.5" OP/FP Combo (Coming soon) & Axleback
-SBD 500X (Waiting on coating to install)
-Southbend SBD500X Clutch
Freude am Fahren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:43 AM   #508
regal

Drives: Scion FR-S/Toyota Yaris
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freude am Fahren View Post
. Can we go banging a track all day and not have to worry about our DI Seals?

This is 2013 not 1995, I don't think any mass produced car under $40k can claim that now days. Cars these days are tuned for emissions and mpg, not the track.

If you want to go to the track get a track tune. Not a street tune where they try to squeeze 10 extra hp. A track tune done right runs cooler, is much less detonation prone, and safer. It won't look as good on the dyno but it will be much more likely to hold up at the track, that's why its called a track tune.

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
Tactrix ZA1JB01C 2014 Calib
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:09 AM   #509
Freude am Fahren

Drives: '13 DGM BRZ Limited/'14 Yamaha R6
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I kinda figured when I typed that I was going to get that response.

Basically, I just want to know if this calibration of the ECU solves the problem, up to the standards of comparable cars.

I know any car you go buy from a showroom short of a GT3 or something isn't meant for the track, you take a big risk with it. But i just want a car that isn't pretty much guaranteed to eat itself alive as soon as you try to get on it.

-XXR 527 18x8.75 +35
-Nameless 2.5" OP/FP Combo (Coming soon) & Axleback
-SBD 500X (Waiting on coating to install)
-Southbend SBD500X Clutch
Freude am Fahren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:15 AM   #510
smbstyle

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
This is 2013 not 1995, I don't think any mass produced car under $40k can claim that now days. Cars these days are tuned for emissions and mpg, not the track.
I kinda disagree with this statement; more cars built these days are built with performance in mind and the idea that they will be used on track, even with "track options", and more cars are track tested by the manufacturers on road courses now than ever before.

In 1995, did you see Cadillac at the Nurburgring running laps with the Eldorado? Now I think everything short of an Escalade is wrung out at the 'Ring.
smbstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:30 AM   #511
regal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freude am Fahren View Post
I kinda figured when I typed that I was going to get that response.

Basically, I just want to know if this calibration of the ECU solves the problem, up to the standards of comparable cars.

I know any car you go buy from a showroom short of a GT3 or something isn't meant for the track, you take a big risk with it. But i just want a car that isn't pretty much guaranteed to eat itself alive as soon as you try to get on it.
It really depends on how and where you drive. Obviously filling in the transient ignition retard table is going to help (01C), but CSG Mike's company ordered a 2014 and still electing to flash a track tune, forgoing warranty because a track tune goes beyond the 01C in reducing knock.

There have been no reports of 01C calib DI failures, but again most spirited drivers are just flashing a quality tune that keeps the knock detector as silent as possible.

My opinion is a good tune is worthwhile, especially if you live in a hilly area and drive in the powerband. Finding a good local tuner with experience in Subaru's is difficult but worthwhile. Just don't confuse a canned 10hp tune with a quality track type tune.

If you drive flat straight roads I wouldn't even worry about it. If you aggressively drive hilly bends and twisties my opinion is get a tune., especially on 91 octane.

Getting past these knock issues and this engine is starting to prove able to stand up to serious driving.

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
Old 09-20-2013, 08:57 AM   #512
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
There have been lots of issues with tunes. Becareful what you ask for....
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:07 AM   #513
smbstyle

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thill View Post
seriously.

I'd rather take my chance and roll the dice with having the repairs warrantied than pretty much guarantee the warranty is shot with adding a tune.
smbstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to smbstyle For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (09-20-2013)
Old 09-20-2013, 09:09 AM   #514
regal

Quote:
Originally Posted by thill View Post

Agree 100%, thats why I say a Subaru tuner who has experience with track tunes. Many people don't know what that means. Many of the tuners that do aren't on ECutek, its just a waiting game at this point till these issues are behind us.

And again IMHO this isn't even needed for 99% of those who don't drive in the power band thru hills bends and sharp twisties.

I would speculate that those stuck on 91 octane would be smart to ask for a simple tune with lower IAM and less aggressive advance scheme, but that's just my opinion.

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
Old 09-20-2013, 09:20 AM   #515
Wepeel

Drives: '13 BRZ Ltd
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Also keep in mind the platform is still very young. We're barely out of the first model year, it's a new motor, with a new injection system. Some tuning options are brand new, and there just hasn't been a lot of time to thoroughly test the robustness and longevity of the tunes. As I understand it, there may still be ECU tables that need to be identified, so the ECU still isn't fully understood.

Luckily, the short block in these cars seems to be very strong (I haven't heard of one failing yet?). From someone who had 3 shortblock replacements in my STI due to ringland failure... yeah the injector seal thing seems pretty minor.
Wepeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:22 AM   #516
Mikem53

Drives: FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Bad advice telling people to give up their warranty for a aftermarket tune..
Why give up the warranty for a few extra ponies or for your opinion that it's somehow safer than the factory tune?
The way to go would be to get the latest flash calibration. Keep your warranty intact and not gamble on some tuners hacked code.
Tuning has its place for modified cars that need new code to take advantage of the mods.. I would rather have my warranty intact than have some aftermarket tune claiming to be better yet offers no warranty and is not held liable..
I'm also still waiting for you to respond to your post earlier on about scion closing dealerships.. You always seem to disappear when asked to backup your statements..

Quote:
It really depends on how and where you drive. Obviously filling in the transient ignition retard table is going to help (01C), but CSG Mike's company ordered a 2014 and still electing to flash a track tune, forgoing warranty because a track tune goes beyond the 01C in reducing knock.

There have been no reports of 01C calib DI failures, but again most spirited drivers are just flashing a quality tune that keeps the knock detector as silent as possible.

My opinion is a good tune is worthwhile, especially if you live in a hilly area and drive in the powerband. Finding a good local tuner with experience in Subaru's is difficult but worthwhile. Just don't confuse a canned 10hp tune with a quality track type tune.

If you drive flat straight roads I wouldn't even worry about it. If you aggressively drive hilly bends and twisties my opinion is get a tune., especially on 91 octane.

Getting past these knock issues and this engine is starting to prove able to stand up to serious driving.
Mikem53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:38 AM   #517
regal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikem53 View Post
Bad advice telling people to give up their warranty for a aftermarket tune..
Why give up the warranty for a few extra ponies or for your opinion that it's somehow safer than the factory tune?
The way to go would be to get the latest flash calibration. Keep your warranty intact and not gamble on some tuners hacked code.
Tuning has its place for modified cars that need new code to take advantage of the mods.. I would rather have my warranty intact than have some aftermarket tune claiming to be better yet offers no warranty and is not held liable..
I'm also still waiting for you to respond to your post earlier on about scion closing dealerships.. You always seem to disappear when asked to backup your statements..
You didn't even read my last post. Read it again before you attack. Thanks.

As far as the Scion dealerships if you can't find that with google then I don't know what to tell you. There was even a whole thread about it on this forum.

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
Old 09-20-2013, 10:20 AM   #518
Mikem53

Drives: FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
You didn't even read my last post. Read it again before you attack. Thanks.

As far as the Scion dealerships if you can't find that with google then I don't know what to tell you. There was even a whole thread about it on this forum.
Attack.. ? Whatever.. Just responding to your so called "advice" regarding tunes.. Since your posts always condemn the OEM somehow, along with the demise of the scion.. Or maybe you have taken on a new "tune" of your own..
Mikem53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
regalsurinalpost