follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

View Poll Results: Have you had an issue with your Direct Injection System?
I have had a DI issue and was fixed under warranty (Subaru) 10 12.35%
I had a DI issue that caused Engine Failure and was fixed under warranty (Subaru) 2 2.47%
I have had a DI issue and was fixed under warranty (Toyota) 31 38.27%
I have had a DI issue that caused Engine Failure and was fixed under warranty (Toyota) 3 3.70%
I have had a DI issue and denied warranty by (Subaru) 7 8.64%
I have had a DI issue and denied warranty by (Toyota) 14 17.28%
I had a DI issue that caused Engine Failure and was Denied warranty (Subaru) 8 9.88%
I had a DI issue that caused Engine Failure and was Denied warranty (Toyota) 6 7.41%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 09-19-2013, 12:01 PM   #421
BradBot

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayau View Post
Not necessarily. The 10 series may have the latest ecu calibration file, which supposedly fixed the issue.
That's why I said if the problem still exists
BradBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:10 PM   #422
regal

Drives: Scion FR-S/Toyota Yaris
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
I haven't seen any reports of DI failure with the new calibration. Just wish they would flash cars that don't have it.

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
Tactrix ZA1JB01C 2014 Calib
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:26 PM   #423
danthedirt
Hadouken

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Were you on 91 octane during the track days?
Yea, stock tune running 91. Damn CA doesnt have 93
Old 09-19-2013, 04:33 PM   #424
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by danthedirt View Post
Yea, stock tune running 91. Damn CA doesnt have 93
Thanks. Yeah the vast majority of cars with DI seal issues seemed to have been driven on the track on 91 octane. I'm trying to figure out how large of a role octane plays in these issues. For the time being I'm running 100 octane whenever I'm at the track.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:57 PM   #425
Decay107
Turning is for Nerds

Drives: 35 characters is not enough
Thanked 1,259 Times in 717 Posts
Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wepeel View Post
Okay so you can check your CalID in Torque. It's in "Adapter Status" under "Calibration ID". Just checked mine - May 2013 build date, BRZ, 01C.
Where are you seeing that menu option? I only have "OBD Adapter Information" under the "More" menu after clicking in the bottom corner. Are you running the Pro Version (I have the free one)?

Would you mind sharing a screenshot?
Decay107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:13 PM   #426
Wepeel

Drives: '13 BRZ Ltd
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decay107 View Post
Where are you seeing that menu option? I only have "OBD Adapter Information" under the "More" menu after clicking in the bottom corner. Are you running the Pro Version (I have the free one)?

Would you mind sharing a screenshot?
I'm running the Pro version - not sure if the free version has the same info. It's very obvious in the Pro version though.
Wepeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:25 PM   #427
TheseColorsDontRun
Keep calm and drive on

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited 6M
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Forgive me if I missed it in this thread somewhere....does anyone know what the VIN cutoff is for the cars that have the update? Mine is BRZ #10299.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:49 PM   #428
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseColorsDontRun View Post
Forgive me if I missed it in this thread somewhere....does anyone know what the VIN cutoff is for the cars that have the update? Mine is BRZ #10299.
January 2013 build is probably 90% sure on the new calibration, pre December definitely does not have it. February onwards 100% has the new calibration.

Not confirmed whether or not this is THE fix.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 02:18 PM   #429
TheseColorsDontRun
Keep calm and drive on

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited 6M
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
May 2013 build I think I'm safe.
Old 09-21-2013, 02:59 PM   #430
BradBot

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseColorsDontRun View Post
Maybe someone can corroborate this, but I'm pretty sure I've read, at least a few times, that some owners with build dates May 2013 are still experiencing this issue.
BradBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 03:58 PM   #431
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradBot View Post
Maybe someone can corroborate this, but I'm pretty sure I've read, at least a few times, that some owners with build dates May 2013 are still experiencing this issue.
Actually, I don't believe that is the case. Any car built after December or early Jan should be fine. The problem with this poll is that there is zero detail. I suspect some of the people that voted "yes" don't know what a DI issue is, or don't even own the car.

For the people that did vote yes that actually have the issue, there is not enough detail captured (build date, was the car heavily tracked, etc) to really offer anything of value,
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:26 PM   #432
vgi

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thill View Post
Actually, I don't believe that is the case. Any car built after December or early Jan should be fine. The problem with this poll is that there is zero detail. I suspect some of the people that voted "yes" don't know what a DI issue is, or don't even own the car.

For the people that did vote yes that actually have the issue, there is not enough detail captured (build date, was the car heavily tracked, etc) to really offer anything of value,
I don't know if you've read all the threads on the DI issue but what you're writing is nonsense.

First of all, since toyota/subaru never acknowledge there is a DI issue and as such there is no official fix for it. It is an assumption based on South African DI issue that it was due knocking when shifting at high rpm and that they have fixed it by adjusting the tune. It seems to be confirmed by someone, although I have not seen my 02/13 stock tune, that since 02/13 cars have tune with adjusted values. However I'm sure no one could say 100% that this indeed is THE fix for DI issue.

Second, the poll clearly asks to vote people who had DI issue. I believe that no everyone can determine the DI issue but I'm sure everyone does get an answer from a tech "FTW was wrong with my car", and they're told "we had to replace blown seals on your direct injectors" then how many ways one could interpret that information?

Finally, the poll is a poll, it should be easy to vote and comprehend. if you need details - use the search button and read all threads on DI issue.
vgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:53 PM   #433
NYNOMAD

Drives: BRZ WRB LTD MAN
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
subscribed - 2012 build date. I need a new tune from Subaru?

All working ok so far...
NYNOMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:30 PM   #434
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgi View Post
I don't know if you've read all the threads on the DI issue but what you're writing is nonsense.

First of all, since toyota/subaru never acknowledge there is a DI issue and as such there is no official fix for it. It is an assumption based on South African DI issue that it was due knocking when shifting at high rpm and that they have fixed it by adjusting the tune. It seems to be confirmed by someone, although I have not seen my 02/13 stock tune, that since 02/13 cars have tune with adjusted values. However I'm sure no one could say 100% that this indeed is THE fix for DI issue.

Second, the poll clearly asks to vote people who had DI issue. I believe that no everyone can determine the DI issue but I'm sure everyone does get an answer from a tech "FTW was wrong with my car", and they're told "we had to replace blown seals on your direct injectors" then how many ways one could interpret that information?

Finally, the poll is a poll, it should be easy to vote and comprehend. if you need details - use the search button and read all threads on DI issue.
Well you are right the newer calibration file that is installed on car built after Jan 2013 may or may not resolve the DI issue. That said, we really don't know because the poll is anonymous and does not capture what year a car was built that had the failure. Do you have proof that the latest calibration file does not fix the issue? Have you seen someone with a recent build date that had DI issues?

Sorry, but without information we end up with speculation. Fact of the matter is that with as many FT86's has been sold globally, and as many registered members we have on this site, there are few reported failures and the ones that have reported the issue were on cars built in 2012. That's the best I got.
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thill For This Useful Post:
vgi (09-24-2013)

Tags
direct injector, engine, failure, meet regal's paranoia, poll, regal's witch hunt, regalnoia, seal, sealions, silly sausage