follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
BT, dpfarr

Old 08-28-2016, 01:04 AM   #1569
menikmati

Drives: 2015 BRZ, 2005 STI
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox View Post
That's correct. I haven't read much on the install difficulty of the JRSC. I know edelbrock can be done, but you will need help for the initial placement.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
I've read both install manuals and the JRSC definitely looks easier than the Edelbrock kit, but I'm mechanically inclined enough to install either. I would just need more time with the Edelbrock kit.
menikmati is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to menikmati For This Useful Post:
Silverfox (08-28-2016)
Old 08-28-2016, 01:32 AM   #1570
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
So how do owners feel about the kit so far? Long term driving impressions? Does the extra power change the way the car behaves when it's being pushed?
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 01:42 AM   #1571
Silverfox

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ, Edelbrock SC, E-85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
So how do owners feel about the kit so far? Long term driving impressions? Does the extra power change the way the car behaves when it's being pushed?
I've had mine for about 10k miles now. Loved the CARB tune for the first 7k.

Now running a delicious tune with the Delicious D BOX and it's an even more fun, and smooth, experience.

No reliability issues yet, and I was in a fender bender doing about 10-15mph prior to the new tune. Had to replace the air box, but everything else is healthy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Silverfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 07:48 AM   #1572
BirdTRD
Simply Forgotus

Drives: 2014 Supercharged SSM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Just keep topping off, and it'll self-bump. It does take a while, as the intercooler system is fairly robust, and rather large!

Overfilling via the suction created by the bump (and using the tube), will result in making a mess when you turn your car off and the pump turns off! Unless you did what I suspect and rigged yourself a reservoir.

Indeed I did. Seems to be working well so far...still testing and looking for a small tank to fit in front of the fuse box.

It is sharing the engine coolant overflow tank at the moment which I don't think will pose any problems since the radiator and intercooler surge tank caps are pressure caps and should prevent each system pulling coolant from the other, only pulling or expelling to the main overflow tank. <$10 at Home Depot for the supplies.

What I really want is @Edelbrock LLC to come up with a larger volume surge tank! Maybe V2 or a retrofit.
Attached Images

Last edited by BirdTRD; 08-29-2016 at 06:41 AM.
BirdTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BirdTRD For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (08-29-2016), sato (08-28-2016), Silverfox (08-28-2016)
Old 08-28-2016, 12:32 PM   #1573
caschnd1

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I installed the Delicious D-box today. VERY noticeable difference in the upper RPM range. All the surging is completely gone. You definitely want to install a D-box with this supercharger.

-craig
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to caschnd1 For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (08-29-2016), funwheeldrive (08-29-2016), Silverfox (08-28-2016)
Old 08-28-2016, 12:36 PM   #1574
Reamer

Drives: 2015 FRS
Is the D-box suitable for other applications or is it just for the E-Force (TVS)? What is its actual function?

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
Reamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 12:52 PM   #1575
caschnd1

Garage
I'll have to let the experts answer if there is any benefit with other systems. My understanding is that the MAP sensor can give wildly inaccurate readings under some circumstances (for just a few milliseconds). I believe the D-box acts as a filter to smooth out the MAP sensor input. Again, maybe someone from Delicious can give a better technical answer than mine.

-craig
The Following User Says Thank You to caschnd1 For This Useful Post:
Reamer (08-28-2016)
Old 08-28-2016, 01:02 PM   #1576
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by caschnd1 View Post
I'll have to let the experts answer if there is any benefit with other systems. My understanding is that the MAP sensor can give wildly inaccurate readings under some circumstances (for just a few milliseconds). I believe the D-box acts as a filter to smooth out the MAP sensor input. Again, maybe someone from Delicious can give a better technical answer than mine.

-craig
Due to the sensor location the voltage can fluctuate, which impacts fueling etc. The D Box just acts to smooth those out.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kodename47 For This Useful Post:
Reamer (08-28-2016)
Old 08-28-2016, 11:55 PM   #1577
menikmati

Drives: 2015 BRZ, 2005 STI
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
If someone were to buy the kit used, does anyone know if Edelbrock is able to sell any of the parts bags containing the various nuts, bolts, crush washers, etc separately? I'm referring to bags #1-4 listed on page 3 of the installation guide here:

http://www.edelbrock.com/fa20/downlo...structions.pdf

I don't see a way to contact Edelbrock via email so I'm asking here for now.
menikmati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 01:00 AM   #1578
caschnd1

Garage
There are part numbers for each of those parts listed in the instructions. That would indicate that the parts can be ordered individually. If you go to the Edelbrock web site, there is a link to a contact page where you can send them a message.
The Following User Says Thank You to caschnd1 For This Useful Post:
menikmati (08-29-2016)
Old 08-29-2016, 02:47 AM   #1579
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Had mine now for almost a year without any issues apart from a couple of CELs that I'm not even sure are related. It has gone through nearly 10k mi of daily driving, 3 track days and numerous canyon runs. I not longer notice it when driving around (a good thing) since it is perfectly civilized around town but gives me a good shove when I need it, like when passing on the freeway or getting up to speed on an on-ramp. On the track, I definitely feel the added torque going down the straights or when going up a hill like turn 1-2 in Sonoma or 6-7 (rahal) in MLS. When "being pushed" I've found that the added power lets you dial-in a turn, being able to add throttle oversteer mid-corner, but I find that you have to be in the right speed/gear to do it.

If I were to do it again, I'd still buy this kit, partly because its been hassle free but also because of the service I've had with Edelbrock and DT. Plus now its officially CARB certified!

Quote:
Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
If someone were to buy the kit used, does anyone know if Edelbrock is able to sell any of the parts bags containing the various nuts, bolts, crush washers, etc separately?

I don't see a way to contact Edelbrock via email so I'm asking here for now
Give their tech support number a call. I've ordered various spare parts for the kit from them a few times.
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BigFatFlip For This Useful Post:
menikmati (08-29-2016), shiumai (08-29-2016), Silverfox (08-29-2016), TofuJoe (08-29-2016)
Old 08-29-2016, 12:43 PM   #1580
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,176 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by caschnd1 View Post
I installed the Delicious D-box today. VERY noticeable difference in the upper RPM range. All the surging is completely gone. You definitely want to install a D-box with this supercharger.

-craig
Just as a reminder, all E-force purchases from CSG include a free D-box upon request.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Freeman (08-30-2016), funwheeldrive (08-29-2016), Silverfox (08-29-2016)
Old 08-29-2016, 05:53 PM   #1581
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatFlip View Post
Had mine now for almost a year without any issues apart from a couple of CELs that I'm not even sure are related. It has gone through nearly 10k mi of daily driving, 3 track days and numerous canyon runs. I not longer notice it when driving around (a good thing) since it is perfectly civilized around town but gives me a good shove when I need it, like when passing on the freeway or getting up to speed on an on-ramp. On the track, I definitely feel the added torque going down the straights or when going up a hill like turn 1-2 in Sonoma or 6-7 (rahal) in MLS. When "being pushed" I've found that the added power lets you dial-in a turn, being able to add throttle oversteer mid-corner, but I find that you have to be in the right speed/gear to do it.

If I were to do it again, I'd still buy this kit, partly because its been hassle free but also because of the service I've had with Edelbrock and DT. Plus now its officially CARB certified

Is the extra weight from the system noticeable on tight roads? I guess the main thing I'm worried about is the car losing it's willingness to be constantly revved up in the higher RPM range. I love how responsive this car is, but just like a little more power for daily driving. I'm worried I'm going to ruin such a well balanced platform though.
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:00 PM   #1582
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Is the extra weight from the system noticeable on tight roads? I guess the main thing I'm worried about is the car losing it's willingness to be constantly revved up in the higher RPM range. I love how responsive this car is, but just like a little more power for daily driving. I'm worried I'm going to ruin such a well balanced platform though.
To be honest, I don't feel the extra weight at all, so no "extra" understeer than what is already there. Could be due to the location of that weight since the manifold (heaviest part) is situated near/aft of the center line of the front suspension, keeping the weight "in the middle" of the car (between the front & rear axles). Or I could just be full of sh*t...

Regarding the "willingness to be constantly revved up" I have found zero need to do that because of the new power band. Peak torque is actually earlier now, so I never have the need to wring out the car. The only reason I did when I was stock was to get more power in the first place, but that's not a problem anymore. I can just stick in 3rd and power on/off into/out of corners. On the track, I actually naturally found myself shifting around 6k rpm instead of redline. If you want something that requires you to be at the redline, with just a little more power, maybe E85 is more your style?

"Responsive" is such a loose term, so I'm not sure how to answer that. If you're talking about throttle mapping, yes, the CARB tune is much less "responsive" than say the DT tune, but not different from stock. I actually prefer the CARB tune since this is my daily driver.

Not sure if I'm answering your questions/concerns accurately (we can have different definitions) but since you're local, I'd be happy to meet up with you some time. PM me if you have more detailed questions
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BigFatFlip For This Useful Post:
Edelbrock LLC (09-16-2016), funwheeldrive (08-29-2016), GhostOp86 (12-04-2016), jawnthen (08-29-2016), paiceyfan (08-29-2016), Silverfox (08-29-2016), TofuJoe (08-29-2016), trd87t (08-30-2016)