follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-10-2013, 11:02 PM   #15
GNS

Drives: .
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by qts View Post
Hi all,
Ordered my FRS firestorm.
I am planning to keep her till very very end like my current Celica (so far 19 years). Dealer wanted me to buy the 7 years extend warranty and paint protection.
I have no problem buying the extend warranty since it is refundable if not used. But I don't know about the paint protection, it is not like the 3M clear bra.
Any suggestions. Thanks.
My suggestions:

1) The paint protection is a scam. Take your car to a place like Audio Heaven (Markham) and get a good Clearbra. Far better use of your money and the front end of your car will thank you.

2) Extended warranty is all pure profit for the dealer. Suppose you make it a point never to use your warranty - you might as well not have a warranty if you're living under the 'threat' of losing the money you paid for the extended warranty. If something goes wrong on your car, you have to weigh it against how much you paid for that warranty and whether you want to claim warranty work and lose the money, or not claim warranty work. It just becomes a big mess.

If you do spend money on the warranty, that's money you will not see for... what... 7 years? Imagine that money sitting in your RRSP or TFSA, or something for 7 years. Now imagine that money sitting in the dealer's RRSP/TFSA for 7 years. Who wins?

tl;dr extended warranties are usually a waste of money. If things break, they will break either at the beginning or at the end, and your standard warranty will cover those things at the beginning. If (and ONLY if) they break at the end, that money you had not spent on the extended warranty will have made you more money sitting in an investment than it would sitting in the dealer's bank account.
GNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:07 PM   #16
chenshuo

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Hi all,
Ordered my FRS firestorm.
I am planning to keep her till very very end like my current Celica (so far 19 years). Dealer wanted me to buy the 7 years extend warranty and paint protection.
I have no problem buying the extend warranty since it is refundable if not used. But I don't know about the paint protection, it is not like the 3M clear bra.
Any suggestions. Thanks.
In my personal experience, anything that's about protecting the exterior of the car, the dealer is pretty bad at doing. I'm from Markham too. After I got my car i took it to Kevin at GTA In Detail. Fantastic job. Save your money from the dealer. I think @picus is Kevin so you probably want to contact him for an appointment.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:09 AM   #17
FRiSson

Drives: FR-S MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub85 View Post
Never buy extended warranties at the stealership. You will get a letter before your factory warranty expires asking if you want the extended warranty at a much cheaper price then what the dealer would charge.
Wait, I don't get this. Why would a dealer sell an extended warranty at a lower price, after the car has run through its factory warranty? Are you talking about 3rd party warranties? That's a very different product.
FRiSson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:24 AM   #18
fistpoint

Drives: Supercharged Golf Cart
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
I have no problem buying the extend warranty since it is refundable if not used.
Whoa...how so? I imagine there are some requirements beyond just "not used", like within a specific timeframe. I'd like to know more about that and you should probably double check for yourself too before you plunk money on it under a possibly false assumption.
fistpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:50 AM   #19
jstans84
Banned

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by radroach View Post

Extended warranty. Well listen up, if you modify something, like put different transmission fluid than stock, and something goes bad, Subaru will not back you up. You have to go by their recommended service and upgrades and nothing else, or it's void.
Actually that is completely illegal. The only way they can void your warranty is if they can prove that your modification caused the problem.

Last edited by jstans84; 03-11-2013 at 04:31 AM.
jstans84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:02 AM   #20
fistpoint

Drives: Supercharged Golf Cart
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstans84 View Post
Actually that is completely illegal. The only way they can void your warranty is if they can prove that your modification caused the problem.
That doesn't prevent them from denying your claim for weeks on end...meanwhile, you're stuck without a car. You might win in the end, assuming you put in enough time and effort.
fistpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:17 AM   #21
jstans84
Banned

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fistpoint View Post
That doesn't prevent them from denying your claim for weeks on end...meanwhile, you're stuck without a car. You might win in the end, assuming you put in enough time and effort.
That's why you read reviews on your local dealerships and don't go the the ones ran by fucked up assholes.

Also a really good threat to make that typically shows results is to threaten to call the Better Business Bureau on them.
jstans84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:25 AM   #22
Clembo
'Senior' Junior Member

Drives: 13 FR-S,08 Mustang Bullitt,06 MX-5
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Never buy anything from the dealer at the point of sale - period. They make more money on those things than on the car. Everything they offer can be had cheaper (and often better) on the outside.

"You'll never know if you don't try" - Shinroko Momose
Clembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:35 AM   #23
bdub85

Drives: 2013 Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRiSson View Post
Wait, I don't get this. Why would a dealer sell an extended warranty at a lower price, after the car has run through its factory warranty? Are you talking about 3rd party warranties? That's a very different product.
They don't... It comes from Toyota. Like when I bought my Tacoma, I got a letter (actually several) in the mail from Toyota asking if I wanted to purchase an extended warranty.
bdub85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:55 PM   #24
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,474 Times in 4,995 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whaap View Post
I'm definitely against paying the dealership for paint protection. Also, as most here already know, I am firmly against extended warranties. If something survives infancy (within the factory three year warranty) it's a safe bet that it's not a faulty part. If you drive your car sensibly and maintain it sensibly there should not be a need for an extended warranty. I've been buying cars since 1952 and have never taken an extended warranty on any car, motorcycle or home appliance and I have yet to regret it one time.

If you do some research you'll find that dealerships make more money off the "stuff" they try to sell you than they do off the car itself.
Because it couldn't be said better I quoted it so someone would read it again.

It's a Toyota/Subaru, if the paint goes to shit, repaint it. If it breaks, fix it because odds are it isn't going to be that expensive unless you blow up a motor or trash the chassis/bodywork.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote