follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 09-02-2017, 08:46 AM   #1583
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor View Post

Which temp was above normal?

I have the secondary o2 sensor corrections disabled. But still I would be surprised if that would have influence on AFR command, since it has it's own separate corrections.

Looking at my logs, the only other places I ever have 14.7 is during overrun. At the beginning of a pull, where you come from off throttle, I suppose it could be a logging delay?

Thanks for your replies.
Here is a log with the commanded AFR hitting 15.18 for a short amount of time then back in line with what's been set on the fueling tables as I start to increase throttle at the beginning of the pulls. It's intermittent, but happens more often after the engine has been warmed past normal operating temps. 15.18 afr does not exist on any table in my tunes. So, I automatically assume is some sort of malfunction.

http://datazap.me/u/solidone/z7-kc1i...3608-3918-3925

Not 100% sure why it happens.

cowardice is the mother of cruelty.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to solidONE For This Useful Post:
Tor (09-02-2017)
Old 09-02-2017, 01:41 PM   #1584
phrosty

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chermo12 View Post
Tune: "v3.0 Stage 2 UEL 91-93"
You're beta testing Shiv's new tune, you should be giving him feedback.
2013 Whiteout 6AT FR-S | Perrin Inlet Tube + 2.75" CAI | OpenFlash Header | P&L Catback | 4.88 Final Drive | Dialed in OFT 2.0x Stage 2 E85 | 18x8 Enkei Raijin + 225/40 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | 17x7 Stock + 215/45 Michelin X-Ice Xi-2
phrosty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to phrosty For This Useful Post:
chermo12 (09-02-2017)
Old 09-02-2017, 06:35 PM   #1585
chermo12

Drives: 2013 SSM BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
That is way too much knock. With the catted header you may be way better off flashing a stg 1 tune and taking it from there. The AVCS settings (variable valve timing) may be more suitable since there is still a cat. It will probably make more power too.
-Yeah, it scares me. I'm not sure if something's up with the catted header I just installed or if it's too early to datalog so soon after flashing?? If things don't improve significantly, I'll try flashing back to Stage 1. (It does smell a bit funny. Is that due to running rich? or a possible leak?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
If you IAM was getting down to 03 on 91 then id avoid running 91 on that tune , maybe run the earlier less aggressive tunes.

On 94 it looks acceptable, still some knock and its running rich, but looks like log was fairly soon after flashing ?? as the ltft at mid upper rpm is still 0.

Caniadian fuel seems worse than USA fuels from logs ive seen.

Apparently husky 94 is good
-I'm assuming the 94 is helping (crickets sound has returned which confirms the the 94 fuel). Today, I was only able to do a 2nd gear pull, but the AdvMulti went up to 0.79 (from 0.65 last log) today.
-You're right, I've only driven 150+ km on this tune so far. How long should I be driving on a fresh flash before I should datalog more accurately?
-I still had 15% of Shell 91 left in the tank, but I filled up with Petro 94. I'll try to look for Husky 94 for my next fill up.

Here's my 2nd gear pull log:
http://datazap.me/u/fl4tbxr/sept-2-2...0?log=0&data=1

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrosty View Post
You're beta testing Shiv's new tune, you should be giving him feedback.
-Oh, I didn't realize they're still in beta. I thought they were done, but just not updated on the official OFT downloads page. I will email Shiv my logs and see if he can give my feedback. (I figured the forums would have a quicker response)
Old 09-02-2017, 06:52 PM   #1586
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chermo12 View Post
-Yeah, it scares me. I'm not sure if something's up with the catted header I just installed or if it's too early to datalog so soon after flashing?? If things don't improve significantly, I'll try flashing back to Stage 1. (It does smell a bit funny. Is that due to running rich? or a possible leak?)

-I'm assuming the 94 is helping (crickets sound has returned which confirms the the 94 fuel). Today, I was only able to do a 2nd gear pull, but the AdvMulti went up to 0.79 (from 0.65 last log) today.
-You're right, I've only driven 150+ km on this tune so far. How long should I be driving on a fresh flash before I should datalog more accurately?
-I still had 15% of Shell 91 left in the tank, but I filled up with Petro 94. I'll try to look for Husky 94 for my next fill up.

Here's my 2nd gear pull log:
http://datazap.me/u/fl4tbxr/sept-2-2...0?log=0&data=1

-Oh, I didn't realize they're still in beta. I thought they were done, but just not updated on the official OFT downloads page. I will email Shiv my logs and see if he can give my feedback. (I figured the forums would have a quicker response)
Their is still some knock. If you could log FLKC instead of say coolant temp it will be easier to see knock.

Usually your ok after 150 km

Try doing two or three light throttle runs ( say arround 10% not critical but just light strwad throttle) from 2000 to 6500 or so. Second gear just let the rpm build slowly at light steady throttle. This should kep ecu in closed loop learning mode and speed up fuel trim learning, and also reset your iam to 1
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
chermo12 (09-03-2017)
Old 09-02-2017, 07:53 PM   #1587
Nobunnyhere.86

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
http://www.datazap.me/u/nobunnyhere8...l?log=0&data=1

Still waiting on a reply from shiv been a while but I know he is busy.. Could someone let me know if this 3rd gear pull looks to be going lean and has some knocks in places they shouldn't ?

This is the BETA 3.0 stage 2+ 91 tune from Shiv. On my last tunes the MAF was not properly showing but shiv helped fix that issue with the new 3.0 , not much of a power or torque difference but definitely more efficiency feels with the tune..
Nobunnyhere.86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 08:19 PM   #1588
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobunnyhere.86 View Post
Could someone let me know if this 3rd gear pull looks to be going lean and has some knocks in places they shouldn't ?
It's definitely not lean, it's richer than commanded for most of the pull.

It is pulling timing in a couple of places but noticably up top. Are you running the correct hardware for a 2+ tune as that typically occurs when there is a lack of VE (restriction) if it's not simply too advanced.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kodename47 For This Useful Post:
Nobunnyhere.86 (09-03-2017)
Old 09-02-2017, 10:26 PM   #1589
Nobunnyhere.86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodename47 View Post
It's definitely not lean, it's richer than commanded for most of the pull.

It is pulling timing in a couple of places but noticably up top. Are you running the correct hardware for a 2+ tune as that typically occurs when there is a lack of VE (restriction) if it's not simply too advanced.
Good to know its not running lean, and may I ask what you mean by its pulling timing?? I'm not familiar with that part. And as far as I now Shiv told me that if I am running catless headers I need to run the 2+..

Right now my set up is Skunk 2 EL Catless headers, Stock OP, MXP catless front pipe, stock mid pipe with a axleback exhaust . My intake box is stock but I did cut and modify the inlet of it to allow more air that I saw be done on youtube (rookie mistake). Also running 91 premium gas from Techron Chevron.
Old 09-03-2017, 07:25 AM   #1590
Tor

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Maybe try reducing or zeroing CL to OL delay timers
But wouldn't it make sense that the point where it occurs is after it already switched to OL. I.e. I would assume Tactrix would still log the ECU as being in CL during the timers count down. If that is the case it would already be in OL as AFR command spikes up. Also, still, where does it get 14.7 from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidONE View Post
Here is a log with the commanded AFR hitting 15.18 for a short amount of time then back in line with what's been set on the fueling tables as I start to increase throttle at the beginning of the pulls. It's intermittent, but happens more often after the engine has been warmed past normal operating temps. 15.18 afr does not exist on any table in my tunes. So, I automatically assume is some sort of malfunction.

http://datazap.me/u/solidone/z7-kc1i...3608-3918-3925

Not 100% sure why it happens.
Interesting as it happens just after a transition to CL too in your log. So maybe you are right and it's a glitch. Or maybe something is some logic that we don't know about at play.

I'll keep an eye out for it in the future, but not think that much about it otherwise. If it reoccurs often on a level that it's a problem I'll try reducing the timers and see if it makes a difference.

I flashed my increased timing by the way and it soaked it up so well that I'm going to add more.

8th of 8 pulls back to back:
http://datazap.me/u/tor/tor-232-pull...zoom=3973-4080
Tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 11:40 AM   #1591
chermo12

Drives: 2013 SSM BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Their is still some knock. If you could log FLKC instead of say coolant temp it will be easier to see knock.

Usually your ok after 150 km

Try doing two or three light throttle runs ( say arround 10% not critical but just light strwad throttle) from 2000 to 6500 or so. Second gear just let the rpm build slowly at light steady throttle. This should kep ecu in closed loop learning mode and speed up fuel trim learning, and also reset your iam to 1
Okay, so I added FLKC to my logs, drove 160km since the last reflash and disconnected the battery to reset the ECU. (IAM back to 1.00)

After the reset, it felt to be running a bit smoother at idle and noticed the IAM was steady at 1.00 for my entire drive today, which I was happy to see.

Here are 2 logs from today: (Did some 2nd gear slow pulls + a 3rd gear pull to redline)

Log 1: http://datazap.me/u/fl4tbxr/sept-3-2...0&data=1-12-13
Log 2: http://datazap.me/u/fl4tbxr/sept-3-2...0&data=1-12-13
Old 09-03-2017, 03:18 PM   #1592
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
But wouldn't it make sense that the point where it occurs is after it already switched to OL. I.e. I would assume Tactrix would still log the ECU as being in CL during the timers count down. If that is the case it would already be in OL as AFR command spikes up. Also, still, where does it get 14.7 from?

Interesting as it happens just after a transition to CL too in your log. So maybe you are right and it's a glitch. Or maybe something is some logic that we don't know about at play.

I'll keep an eye out for it in the future, but not think that much about it otherwise. If it reoccurs often on a level that it's a problem I'll try reducing the timers and see if it makes a difference.

I flashed my increased timing by the way and it soaked it up so well that I'm going to add more.

Nice! have you check how much power yielded from the changes?

cowardice is the mother of cruelty.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 03:56 PM   #1593
Tor

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidONE View Post
Nice! have you check how much power yielded from the changes?
I tried and it is thoroughly disappointing!

Okay, the difference is also not that big. I'm up at a max of 31.17 at load 1.2 @6000 rpm. You don't see that in the log as I have 1 deg Timing Compensation per Cylinder A+B throughout up to 6400 and thereafter increasing to max 3.16.

That and the rich mixture up top seems to let it accept that much timing

I suppose this will be okay for the track. Tried to simulate as much as I responsibly could on backroads too:
http://datazap.me/u/tor/tor-232?log=...zoom=3288-5406

And my usual autobahn pulls:

The 5th gear is difficult for it (it's uphill too), but still less than -2 FLKC. Notice in 6th as it accelerates from 5500 to 5600 (uphill, no more punch), it doesn't knock at all.

So that makes me want to try out this next on top of the other changes:

This is within 0.35 to 0.7 deg of E85 timing between 5200 to 6000 rpm at load 1.2!

I doubt this will be suitable for the track. But I want to see how far I can push it and have a 1 pull hero tune ready if I want to get it dynoed. Or maybe I will be surprised at it will work out, or I can maybe try to make changes to TCPC if it knocks.

With the extra-extra timing I will already extend the top area back to 6800 rpm. The MY17 stock tune seems to use this table a bit more actively than older:

Hopefully these changes should provide some actual messurable improvement.
Tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 04:37 PM   #1594
Nobunnyhere.86

if my car is pulling time on my pulls, how would I correct that?? also just out of curiosity are these OTS tunes maximized with the amount of power gains you can get out of your car?
Old 09-03-2017, 07:54 PM   #1595
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Quote:

I dont think anyone knows 100% how the ecu works down to these levels.

I just see a lot of wrx guys that alter these timers, just worth a try

What you are saying is correct, if ecu works the way you think
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
Tor (09-04-2017)
Old 09-04-2017, 02:25 PM   #1596
jpsimon

Drives: 2015 STi
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Hey all as of 1:30pm EST (September 4th) for the next couple hours datazap is going to be down as I move everything over to AWS. So in the mean time go drink some beer and do some grilling.

Sorry for the inconvenience but there were some issues popping up on the server I had been using and needed to do this ASAP. Moving forward there shouldn't be any more downtime!!

Also just FYI i'm working on a Windows and OSX datazap app with some cool new features. So stay tuned!
The Following User Says Thank You to jpsimon For This Useful Post:
trvth (09-08-2017)